The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account

Kinect worth getting?

So I am thinking of getting a Kinect, but I wanted to see if I could get some feedback on it. Is it really worth getting, and if it is what games are good? Also, is the Kinect better than getting a Wii?

Hmm

I'm gonna be honest here. I have one and I have tried various games. So far there are only two that really work for me, my wife and our friends who play it. Dance Central is wicked fun, drunk or sober (if you like that sort of thing to begin with). Child of Eden is just amazing fun. It is challenging and had tons of replay value.

Other than those two games (so far) nothing really floats my boat, and I have tried a BUNCH of Kinect titles. The future of gaming could lean in the kinect direction though and the new Windows for PC is apparently going to be Kinect ready so who knows. I think of it more as an investment in things to come. Every time I try a new game or little addon that is released, it gets more accurate and way more tuned.

Also, I like to be able to be SUPER lazy when on Netflix, Hulu or watching a movie and use voice commands to pause or play what I'm watching. It is just really cool to say "Xbox... Pause" and the shit pauses. Sometimes I mess around and say "Xbox...." and then whisper "shut the fuck up". I imagine it gives me a digitized middle finger.

As far as I'm concerned it can't be compared to the Wii. They are rightly different. Bowling on the Kinect blows and I only have used my Wii in the last 5 months to play bowling.

Anyways, TLDR: It's an investment for future gaming but right now there is very few titles that harness its potential - Dance Central and Child of Eden.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by JustintimeSS View Post
    Hmm

Anyways, TLDR: It's an investment for future gaming but right now there is very few titles that harness its potential - Dance Central and Child of Eden.
    Snipped the chunk of text but your TL;DR sums up.

I agree with the voice activation, and it's quite cool signing in by standing in front of it. It also depends on what games you like or want to use. I love playing the games like kinect adventures with friends, and my girlfriend enjoys the kinect sports we got.

Personally i enjoy the kinect and think it's quite good fun, but like the Wii i normally prefer the games with friends.

15+ Year Old Account
    its worth it for some fun family times.

my brother has it for the Exercise games. and the new one that is UFC training. now dont get me wrong hes at the gym every day and stuff, but somethings you just cant learn there as you can with these certain video games.

10+ Year Old Account
    Its okay if you want to primarily buy fitness games. I bought one for my mom but I personally don't care for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for the replies, I think I am going to get it. Does anyone know of any good deals or bundles going on? So far I have only found a Kinect bundle with Dance Central and Kinect Adventures for $214 at various stores.

The only game I would ever consider playing on that thing is Child of Eden. Other than that it seems too gimmicky when they try and integrate it with games like Killzone ect. I'm curious as to what Crytek is doing with their Kinect game coming out in the future, but I haven't seen a "AAA" (Quotes because many of them have crap quality despite their insane budgets) that I would really consider fully functional with the Kinect (The new Star Wars looks almost unplayable, but it is in the very early phases). Just my opinion on it, don't hate.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well... from a technical standpoint, there will be quite a few titles coming out soon that offer Kinect support, so that's something.

However, maybe it's just me, but it just seems far too gimmicky and worthless to warrant spending money on. Oooooh, so I can't run through a virtual Disney World (*cough* reading horribly scripted lines *cough*) or fire a gun by spreading my fingers like I've got arthritis.

Give me a damn controller any day.

I got it for Dance Central alone, and it was totally worth it.