Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Probably ads... This is why I use adblock plus.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've got the exact same thin happening to me with Norton 360. Working fine before 7:30pm australian Perth time. When I got home from work, Norton started to pick it up.
    Glad i'm not the only one getting this.

Once again a reminder of why to use adblocker

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake

Deleted
    Why do people create Trojans? Like seriously, just to be assholes?

I got that once some months back and promptly got Adblocker on my web browser. Have not had any since. *Knock on Wood*

Quote Originally Posted by I Knew It View Post
    The common theory is that the companies making antivirussoftware make them, in order to make their own product more valuable
    Quote Originally Posted by Emothianes View Post
    Omg dude vanilla was so awesome because I was awesome and other people weren't awesome and it made me happy to be special because it was so awesome and I was happy.
    Sé onr sverdar sitja hvass!

Running Panda Pro 2011 AV and FW fully updated.

Combined with weekly scanns with Malwarebytes.

And ofc firefox with AddBlockPlus and NoScript , Flashblock won't do any good if have those 2 nowdays since tehy cover all of that already

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hetrofi View Post
    The common theory is that the companies making antivirussoftware make them, in order to make their own product more valuable
    Thats not a common theory, it's a crackpot conspiracy theory.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrena View Post
    Thats not a common theory, it's a crackpot conspiracy theory.
    And everyone who comes up with theories is a crackpot conspiror (i suck at pluralization >_>).

I have Norton and not getting anything. On the aside, never was a huge Norton fan. It used to be horrible as did McAfee. Had some issues that AVG caught that the others kept missing. The only reason I started using Norton again was that it is free with Comcast, but it seems to have improved by leaps and bounds and have had pretty good luck with it.

10+ Year Old Account
    NoScript is your friend.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by phyrix View Post
    I'm sorry, but AVG is terrible. Norton is MUCH better. If you don't believe me, google it.

This is true. Back in the day if you talked about Norton, you were talking not about a virusscan, but a package you installed that literally kept track of EVERYTHING your pc did. With the limited power of systems back then, this was just... bad. It slowed down your computer massively.

Right now, Norton Antivirus is one of the leading corporate Antivirus packages, and with good reason.
    It's Really. Really. Really Not

Just get McAfee Antivirus Plus
    Quote Originally Posted by eternalwhitemoon View Post
    Why strive to be excellent, when being just mediocre still kills the boss?

If it is Trojan.Swifi then it may be a new version of it or a false flag. Here is some info on it. And yeah, it is in the ads, it is used in exploits a vulnerability in Adobe Flash Player. And it's been around for a while now.

http://www.symantec.com/security_res...072317-0730-99

There was an ad causing browser page hijacks (so you couldn't tell what ad it was for) for a couple weeks last month, those (thankfully) seem to have gone away.
    You're not allowed to discuss conspiracy theories on mmo-champion, which makes me wonder what they're trying to hide.

10+ Year Old Account
    If it's the ads I wouldn't know, I run noscript and adblocker so I haven't seen an ad on this site in years.

I'm sorry Bibi, but I'd rather not have to deal with the viruses your site can give me just to help fund it.
    Garrosh did nothing wrong.
    #MakeTheHordeGreatAgain

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by beno113 View Post
    It's Really. Really. Really Not

Just get McAfee Antivirus Plus
    Lol.

McAfee is even worse.

I'm not talking detection wise, but the software package itself is a huge mess.

AVG and McAfee are coincidentally the only two packages in the last two years to identify a crucial system file as malware, delete it, and cause bluescreens on boot.

Quote Originally Posted by Hetrofi View Post
    While that sounds like a crackpot theory, there is some evidence that in some cases that has happened. The guy who serviced our network on my previous job mentioned a time when one of the companies released an emergency virus update to fix something that popped up earlier that day. The problem was it was released at like 4AM instead of 4PM and the virus supposedly "hit" at 9AM. Now that is just anecdotal evidence. But I have seen people get something that tells them they are infected and try to sell the program to protect them from it. Those aren't major security software companies, but I do believe it lends some credence to the belief that some smaller companies might do it. And though I have no evidence, I do believe that the Michaelangelo virus was made by a large company that I won't name because it would amount to slander. But that one virus made a lot of money for one company that sold fixes for it and it put virus scanners on the map.

Of course, I have no evidence of any of this, it is just a "feeling" that I have. Doesn't really mean anything.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamma View Post
    First.

Not me im afraid,

get rid of norton and get malware bytes + AVG.

Also, flashblocker is awesome,

You got the exact message?
    AVG is terrible, if you really going for a free anti-virus I suggest Avira, Avast, Kaspersky. AVG tends to give ALOT of false positives ...

If you are using Firefox I strongly recommend installign NoScript and AdBlock+ as they are quite good programs.

Good programs to use every now and then:

TFC (temp. files cleaner, use it once in a while, or every reboot).
    Avira Anti-Virus (if you cheap and don't have money to buy a full AV)
    Malwarebytes Anti Male (bloody awesome, run every week or month)
    RUBotted (great againts malware and bottnet detection)
    SpyBot search & destroy (another great program strongly recommend it)

As well as browser plugins such as NoScript and AdBlock+ to keep you safe while browsing. Having your windows/osx and drivers updated to the latest firmware updates (can call it that right?) is a must. Also making sure your Java, Flash, Air is updated to the latest version is also VERY important.
    Last edited by Mister K; 2011-06-22 at 12:29 PM.

All these admonitions to use an adblocker create a free-rider problem, whereby you're using this site but undermining the way that this site is funded.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by I Knew It View Post
    Why not. They can steal all sorts of infomation, like credit card details and your wow login details or just to spy on what you are doing. People that create those make some huge money with them!