Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Questions - Lorewise

I've been wondering for a while now:

1- Why there always have to be a Lich King?

Where were UD before the LK. We already have UD not in control of the LK and yet they are not destroying Azeroth, which seems to be the reason behind existence of the LK.

2- If Titans couldn't kill old gods because it would destroy Azeroth how the hell are we killing them patch after patch?
    I've walked the realms of the dead. I have seen the infinite dark. Nothing you say. Or do. Could possibly frighten me.
    We are not monsters! We are not the mindless wretches of a ghoul army! NO! We are a force even more terrifying! We are the chill in a coward's spine! We are the instruments of an unyielding ire! WE ARE THE FORSAKEN!
    Those who do not stand with the Forsaken stand against them. And those who stand against the Forsaken will not stand long.

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deleo View Post
    I've been wondering for a while now:

1- Why there always have to be a Lich King?

Where were UD before the LK. We already have UD not in control of the LK and yet they are not destroying Azeroth, which seems to be the reason behind existence of the LK.

2- If Titans couldn't kill old gods because it would destroy Azeroth how the hell are we killing them patch after patch?

1: From the explanations, if there is no LK the undead would go coo coo and slaughter everything without someone telling them what to do

2: Old gods never die only a part of them dies ( Speculation clarify me )

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Resentful View Post
    1: From the explanations, if there is no LK the undead would go coo coo and slaughter everything without someone telling them what to do
    That doesn't explain:

I've walked the realms of the dead. I have seen the infinite dark. Nothing you say. Or do. Could possibly frighten me.
    We are not monsters! We are not the mindless wretches of a ghoul army! NO! We are a force even more terrifying! We are the chill in a coward's spine! We are the instruments of an unyielding ire! WE ARE THE FORSAKEN!
    Those who do not stand with the Forsaken stand against them. And those who stand against the Forsaken will not stand long.

10+ Year Old Account
    That doesn't explain:

Play Warcraft 3

That doesn't explain:

In the lore there were no UD before Arthas. They were created through the plague and then subsequently from him raising them
    Omegasupreme - Memento Mori - Frostmane-EU wowprogress

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorno View Post
    Play Warcraft 3
    I did, 3 times. Forsaken was freed from LK's control, yet they are not destroying Azeroth. And the only old god you face in WC3 is the one Arthas and Anub'arak fight and there is not much explanation there.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I dunno, the Forsaken seem to be making good progress on destroying Azeroth... They've already conquered most of Lordaeron.

And I'm pretty sure there weren't any undead before there was a lich king. Ner'zhul's been there for a while. Though, orc necrolytes were making temporary skeletons in Warcraft 1, I guess they were so few and weak that it didn't matter.

EDIT: Arthas and Anub'arak didn't fight an old god in WC3. They fought one of Yogg-Saron's servants, like Herald Volasj.
    Peace through love, understanding and superior firepower.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegasupreme View Post
    In the lore there were no UD before Arthas. They were created through the plague and then subsequently from him raising them
    Ahh not quite, not quite, as both necromancers and necrolytes existed many years before Arthas was even born. The undeads raised by them however, were usually just a handful of skeletons bound to the will of the necromancer or necrolyte. Also the first Death Knights created by Gul'dan were the spirits of the fallen orcish warlocks and necrolytes roaming inside the body of a rotting human knight. These undead Death Knights did however posses a free-will.

So any undead created by the Scourge is usually a mindless, or mindcontrolled being bound to the will of their creator, the Lich King. Without a Lich King, they would roam Azeroth like an endless zombie plague, consuming everything in their way. This is why they need a Lich King, to keep them controlled.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Secarian View Post
    I dunno, the Forsaken seem to be making good progress on destroying Azeroth... They've already conquered most of Lordaeron.

And I'm pretty sure there weren't any undead before there was a lich king. Ner'zhul's been there for a while. Though, orc necrolytes were making temporary skeletons in Warcraft 1, I guess they were so few and weak that it didn't matter.
    This is all correct. the undead have been well we're lacking

The scourge wasn't born in the era's of WC II and such

10+ Year Old Account

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    I did, 3 times. Forsaken was freed from LK's control, yet they are not destroying Azeroth. And the only old god you face in WC3 is the one Arthas and Anub'arak fight and there is not much explanation there.
    The Forsaken broke the control of the Lich King and regained their free-will. But the Forsaken are not your average skeleton or zombie, they are special undead, either fallen heroes, magisters or rangers. The abominations in their armies are their own creations, thus they are not bound to the Lich King.
    Oh and the Old God in WC3, was NOT an Old God, but a Forgotten One, which is just a big blob of uglyness. Also, the encounter was not mentioned in the Arthas novel, so it has most likely been removed from the lore.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    The Forsaken broke the control of the Lich King and regained their free-will. But the Forsaken are not your average skeleton or zombie, they are special undead, either fallen heroes, magisters or rangers. The abominations in their armies are their own creations, thus they are not bound to the Lich King.
    Oh and the Old God in WC3, was NOT an Old God, but a Forgotten One, which is just a big blob of uglyness. Also, the encounter was not mentioned in the Arthas novel, so it has most likely been removed from the lore.
    Lets correct it into well

A minion of an old god just like that one thingie weird with jaws in Twilight highlands

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Resentful View Post
    Lets correct it into well

A minion of an old god just like that one thingie weird with jaws in Twilight highlands
    so its a part/minion of yogg-saron that got out and killed alot of spiders

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by brob View Post
    so its a part/minion of yogg-saron that got out and killed alot of spiders
    I guess you can say it like that

May those spiders R.I.P

There were not massive amounts of undead before the rise of the scourge/lich king, just a few scattered necromancers throughout the land.
    Once the Lich king was named the scourge mass produced undead for the lich king himself to control (Lich king also has the power to raise his own undead)

#1 I personally don't buy into the theory that azeroth would not be able to protect itself from a bunch of mindless zombies
    #2 The old god lore has been patched together and butchered in the past so blizzard could sideline the main storyline of expansions

Blizzard will eventually piece a credible story together with the old gods but until then you just have to accept the fan fiction of us only banishing these beasts.

Also, the encounter was not mentioned in the Arthas novel, so it has most likely been removed from the lore.
    Game > Novel?
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegasupreme View Post
    Mal'Ganis and Kel'Thuzad want a word with You.

OT:
    1. Blizzard just did it because he want Bolvar to feel proud. Why? Because that what they're talking is stupid? Lich King want to kill everyone in Azeroth etc, but he can't make it because zombies are not enough brutal for others when he leads them? Do knights are better fighters without a king? I don't think so...
    2. I think it's impossible to kill an Old God in "our Azeroth realm". We're just kicking them out from our world.
    Last edited by Eazy; 2011-06-22 at 11:09 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    This sort of explains the need for the LK, Although one might wonder if you beat them with all their generals and king how on earth it is impossible to beat them without a leader and their heroes. And I don't get why we can kill old gods now.

On the forgotten one, there is nothing in the lore clarifying whether it was an old god or not. I just assumed it was an old god by its appearance which was similar to the old gods we see in WoW, and also the anubarak's sentence, something along these lines "Fight like you have never before or we will die Arthas" despite being together with Arthas and having bunch of spiders behind them, which means how powerful that being must have been.
    Last edited by Deleo; 2011-06-22 at 11:07 AM.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    The thing about the old gods is that they can't be killed. As Herald Volazj put it: "They do not die; they do not live. They are outside the cycle."

Their nature is so fundamentally different from life as we know it that the concepts of "alive" and "dead" do not apply to them. It's like trying to say if an abstract concept like "hate" or "luck" or "yesterday" is red or blue - the descriptions simply don't work.
    Last edited by Secarian; 2011-06-22 at 11:11 AM. Reason: Fixed
    Peace through love, understanding and superior firepower.

Read up on the Lich King. He existed long before Arthas. And Necromancy existed before the Lich King. It's that the sheer MASS of undead being loose without a leader would be a disaster. Undead before the Lich King also were in control of a Necromancer - their summoner. When they somehow broke loose of them e.g. by death of their master they also weren't pleasant guys. But it weren't that many.

Thing with old gods was explained correctly, we didn't kill a single one of them. We poked their eye out and shut their mouths...but that's it
    Last edited by Samin; 2011-06-22 at 11:14 AM.
    Samin
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashrana View Post
    So, what would be your reaction, if you found out, that come cata release first patch, blizzard were planning to kill everyone by sending a bear through the mail?

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eazy View Post
    Game > Novel?

Mal'Ganis and Kel'Thuzad want a word with You.

OT:
    1. Blizzard just did it because he want Bolvar to feel proud. Why? Because that what they're talking is stupid? Lich King want to kill everyone in Azeroth etc, but he can't make it because zombies are not enough brutal for others when he leads them? Do knights are better fighters without a king? I don't think so...
    2. I think it's impossible to kill an Old God in "our Azeroth realm". We're just kicking them out from our world.
    Both worked for the Scourge, or along with the Scourge, Mal'ganis claimed he served "The Dark Lord of the Dead". And game contra novel, well sometimes the game is the truth, sometimes it isn't, it's complicated.

---------- Post added 2011-06-22 at 11:13 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Samin View Post
    Read up on the Lich King. He existed looooong before Arthas. And Necromancy existed before the Lich King. It's that the sheer MASS of undead being loose without a leader would be a disaster. Undead before the Lich King also were in control of a Necromancer - their summoner. When they somehow broke loose of them e.g. by death of their master they also weren't pleasant guys. But it weren't that many.

Thing with old gods was explained correctly, we didn't kill a single one of them. We poked their eye out and shut their mouths...but that's it
    Not long, 20 years top. Ner'zhul was turned into the Lich King by the end of Warcraft 2.