Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by sleekit View Post

suffice as to say i've completed Witcher 2 three times now. i seriously doubt you have even once.
    Of course I didn't. You really think I'm into self-torture? Just check Yahtzee's review of W2 and you'll see how I feel about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vespian View Post
    The difficulty isn't hard, it's the frustrating controls and clunky movement that makes it hard. If things would function the way they should, we could discuss difficulty of gameplay. However, since that isn't the case and you can even still fail at blocking in a 360 degrees block, *something* is wrong. In the tutorial! (well, in the thing that is supposed to be the tutorial, but is really a lack of), when facing 2 or more npc's, almost right in front of you, you can still die because block doesn't function when the target isn't right, and I do mean frontally right, not in a cone, but straight line front, front being absolutely 100% front, in front of you.
    Common beginners mistake, you can't parry when your vigor is empty. It's working as intended.

You're pretty much wrong with everything else as well, the graphics are fantastic, voice acting is great. Overall presentation is on par with genre kings like Dragon Age and Mass Effect. Combat in Brotherhood is way too easy, you can cut through dozens of enemys while hammering a single button, nothing in the game is a challenge, gameplay is repetive and boring (collect 10000 borgia flags zzZZZzzzz) and too many things are recycled from AC2.

Ofc Assassins Creed is still a good game, but it "outplays the Witcher in each and every aspect"? Hell no.

Yo Dude, get off your high horse and catch this; There are RPG fans that do not consider the Witcher (1 and 2) to be good RPG game. Hell, *we* don't even consider the game to be a good game, let alone R and P.
    Let me debunk your theory:
    http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/as...ed-brotherhood
    8.0 score over 191 users.
    http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/assassins-creed-ii
    3.6 over 495 users.
    http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/th...ssins-of-kings
    8.7 score over 1536 users

Those are user scores...

The difficulty isn't hard, it's the frustrating controls and clunky movement that makes it hard.
    Like I said before, the game handles just fine some people just find the combat to be hard, even on normal.
    There is no shame in that but to bash it by saying clunky movement and frustrating controls is a lie, and just really sad.
    But of course there are always people who blame "lag" and "this game is poorly optimized" when they have no understanding how it works, just to cover their giant ego. Because you can't be wrong, you are the best!
    clunky graphics and animations, horribly scripted lines
    What..? Witcher 2 looks gorgeous... just boot it up and look again

they both focus on melee combat
    No, they don't. My second play through I specced into the signs, making me caster I hardly used my sword there.

Cinematics, Movement, Combat, Voice acting, Background story and progression
    Try to play the game, the story is amazing progression goes on slowly though it ends rather quickly at last, which is a shame.

Of course I didn't. You really think I'm into self-torture? Just check Yahtzee's review of W2 and you'll see how I feel about it.
    Uhh Yahtzee's being who he is he is really biased if it's not a sandbox game :P Also you have no right of speaking when you haven't even finished the game. You are just trolling now.

i'm actually a gonzo member over at The Escapist and you should perhaps note that Yahtzee is a console "fanboy" (as are most of the sites contributors) "shock jock" personality CRITIC who dislikes RPGs in general and PC RPGs especially and is not , in any way, a serious games reviewer (by his own admission)
    Also this, never take his reviews too seriously
    Last edited by Riathy; 2011-06-27 at 12:24 PM.

i'm actually a gonzo member over at The Escapist and you should perhaps note that Yahtzee is a console "fanboy" (as are most of the sites contributors) "shock jock" personality CRITIC who dislikes RPGs in general and PC RPGs especially and is not , in any way, a serious games reviewer (by his own admission to be fair)

he hates everything . . . except Portal and Thief . . . that's what he does.

should i check out his Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood review to get the good info on that game ? hmmmm ?

or does he, let me guess . . . slate it ? . . . like everything else.
    Last edited by sleekit; 2011-06-27 at 12:28 PM.
    Mannoroth nodded. "The warrior shows much promise... I would see more of his kind, learn their potential..." WoTA

gee thx Brox...

Quote Originally Posted by Doylez View Post
    Common beginners mistake, you can't parry when your vigor is empty. It's working as intended.

You're pretty much wrong with everything else as well, the graphics are fantastic, voice acting is great. Overall presentation is on par with genre kings like Dragon Age and Mass Effect. Combat in Brotherhood is way too easy, you can cut through dozens of enemys while hammering a single button, nothing in the game is a challenge, gameplay is repetive and boring (collect 10000 borgia flags zzZZZzzzz) and too many things are recycled from AC2.

Ofc Assassins Creed is still a good game, but it "outplays the Witcher in each and every aspect"? Hell no.
    I agree that AC is too easy, but I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about how well the game performs. If a game is hard, it's player skill to overcome it. If a game fails to provide me with the information I need (no reference to Vigor even being there) and due to this I'm suffering fatal defeat after defeat, that's called a flaw. The game is filled with such nonsense.

is not , in any way, a serious games reviewer (by his own admission)
    Re-read your own reply and wonder; is Vespian really that stupid, or did he say; What Yahtzee says is exactly how I think about it, without ever claiming that Yahtzee would be 100% serious, just like in his other xhundred reviews.
    - Nonetheless, it's Yahtzee's job to exaggerate game elements that he notices are not exactly great. He's not there to invent them.
    - To clarify again, I agree with Yahtzee, regardless of him being serious about it or not. Since it's true.
    Last edited by Vespian; 2011-06-27 at 12:31 PM.

Deleted
    I thought the story and gameplay was great, and it was well worth it. It did have a few problems though, such as invisible walls and eh.. yeah that's it. It was a great game

I agree that AC is too easy, but I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about how well the game performs. If a game is hard, it's player skill to overcome it. If a game fails to provide me with the information I need (no reference to Vigor even being there) and due to this I'm suffering fatal defeat after defeat, that's called a flaw. The game is filled with such nonsense.
    You didn't read the text boxes during prologue did you? I think at first combat there was pop up saying about parrying and vigor also you could check it later in game anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Flying_Dog View Post
    I think
    Show me
    - Edit: Of course, if it's there, I missed it. If I missed it, they didn't do their job properly. I think, does not qualify.

But seriously, I have to press a button to jump down a ledge, of course I'm not going to to go back and see whether I really missed it!?
    Last edited by Vespian; 2011-06-27 at 12:39 PM.

Show me
    - Edit: Of course, if it's there, I missed it. If I missed it, they didn't do their job properly. I think, does not qualify.

But seriously, I have to press a button to jump down a ledge, of course I'm not going to to go back and see whether I really missed it!?
    http://youtu.be/L1jyzf_b9iQ 4:20 if this isn't good enough what should they do pause they game and make a window covering half the screen so you can read?
    Last edited by The_Flying_Dog; 2011-06-27 at 12:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Flying_Dog View Post
    Dude, that's not default in-game. That's only when you experiment yourself. Something I didn't do and shouldn't have to do.

Just ignore him, he is just trolling guys. Report his posts if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Riathy View Post
    Just ignore him, he is just trolling guys. Report his posts if needed.
    No, I'm honestly not trolling.

I gave a perfectly clear example of why The Witcher fails on quite a few fronts. I'm not going to re-iterate them all again. I, frankly, find it pretty weak to defend your position with flawed arguments and even trying to get me banned. Nice icing on the cake there.

A game should be playable without ever touching its predecessor. Now, I personally finished W1, but it's been a while, so I figured, that, like every other game, it would be explained in the chapters of the tutorial, what I would have to do, to be able to finish that particular chapter. Finding the answers to the questions myself, is not one of them. Why do you have a tutorial, if you don't explain things. If you don't teach me how to shoot a gun, don't make me wield one.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by phoenixbow View Post
    Uh... what? You can skip the Kayran cutscene. You just hit the right mouse button. I did it 10 times today until I figured out how the damn fight worked.
    Maybe they patched it since then, then. I litterally rolled my palm over the keyboard (and smacked the mouse ofc) and I still had to see it. Sad but true.

Quote Originally Posted by Riathy View Post
    I'm sorry to be crude, but you suck at the game. You didn't even try easy mode, and if you did then you are just plain bad. I, for one, love games with a good difficulty setting because most games come with a "A 5 year old must be able to play this" mentality! Which in turn will really destroy gaming in my opinion.
    It isn't about sucking or not sucking. The combat isn't hard, I'll give you that, but simply isn't fun, not to me (and others) anyhow. A game with very similar combat (though on a console) is any Zelda game since 3D came around. You roll, dodge, parry and hit stuff. Difference? Zelda's combat is fun, TW2's isn't close to. Obviously you and many otehrs find the combat fun which I respect, but labelling anyone who disagrees with "you just suck" won't help your case.
    Last edited by mmoc64e39b9c60; 2011-06-27 at 01:54 PM.

its pretty overrated IMO. From the standpoint of a RPG, especially the customization, combat, and along those lines its too restrictive to the Witcher story/world where its almost dumbed down in a sense. loot is terrible, trade skilling is barely worth it if at all, potion drawbacks make them barely worth it also, and the stupidity of how much trade skill mats weigh you down is dumb. Its not like other RPG's in this regard, almost where they HAD to be realistic to the Witcher's books and what he carries, so they had to dumb down the loot or customization in that sense also. The combat isn't bad, but its not right either. Its sort of in the middle between good and bad. its pretty action based combat but the way you face multiples of enemies you'll soon realize that fighting without cheesing doesn't really work since your moves tend to put you right in the middle of 3 bad guys swinging at you. so you have to do a bunhc of roles, if not abuse traps. still i don't want to say its bad, more than cheesy to get by some of the fights and a bit thoughtless compared to your typical RPG's that feature more strategy pausing.

The production is excellent. Very good looking game and ran well with my 8800 GTX. The storyline is IMO boring with a lot of small talk scenes, and political intrigue more than fantasy so much. I feel its a highly overrated game all in all tho unless you're very into Witcher lore. i've lost steam finishing it, but i feel like i'm pushing myself to finish it only to finish it, and not based on enjoying the game. between the boring loot/customization and the storyline not being all that interesting IMO, there is just very little motivation i have to finish...

The game is on sale at steam at the moment, for 33 euro.

Just finished my first play through.

1. The build up is great throughout the game. You start out getting destroyed and you end up untouchable.
    2. Chapter 3 was cool, mostly story and very little combat though
    3. The ending left me wanting more, at least the ending I got.
    4. Gonna play through it again on a harder difficulty and go signs. Swordsmanship is lol easy.
    5. Crafting never helped me (except potions/oils). Nothing I could make except the last armor was worth it and I just bought all the mats from vendors to make the last piece.
    6. On Ultra settings the game is phenomenal looking and even breathtaking at some points.

My complaints are that it gets WAY too easy towards the end of the game combat wise and that they just DUMP talent points on you from chapter 2 onward. Oh you watched a cut scene? LEVELED UP! Two seconds later after instant killing 3 mobs... You watched another cut scene? ANOTHER LEVEL! Kinda odd.

Ya I posted this topic right before MMO decided to crash for a few days. I ended up buying it without looking at the forums, and I already beat it once. I was a little lost on what exactly was going on, but I had fun rolling around killing people as a Swordmaster spec.

Apparently I've played 100 or so hours on the first go through. I just started playing again to change up my choices, like this time I killed Aryan at the start, already put me on a different path. And I also plan on going the Magic tree this time. But in total I've played 110 hours which is a shocker because I've had it for not even 2 weeks.

Good to hear you are enjoying yourself!

10+ Year Old Account
    I say it's great but it will destroy you if you are new. But the witcher 2 is a lot less alch required then witcher 1. I say this...Play the first one to get the basic story and how some if the things work and then get witcher 2. I say it's worth the money but it's all personal taste really.

Deleted
    Honestly... the best RPG i have ever played! It's just awesome!!