What to upgrade my ATI4870x2 video card with for Directx11?

Hey guys i am stuck deciding what i should upgrade my video card to from my old yet still powerful Asus 4870x2 video card to get Directx11 support for Battlefield 3 later this year.

I am using a CoreI7 920, EVGA X58 SLI LE motherboard and 6GB of Corsair 1600mhz ram. I am running a Antec Truepower Quattro 850watt power supply which has support for another 2 more dual 6pin slot video cards or a dual 8pin slot video card.

I am currently running my computer at normal levels, no overclocking but can do it with ease.

I have around $500 in a week give or take a hundred depending which games come out before my before in late August. Now the main reason for upgradeing is purely Directx11 support.

I am shopping for parts in Australia too. Hope i can get some decent advice on what to do.

I am currently using an ATI 5870 eyefinity gpu, I like it, its been great and supports Directx11. But in the near future I am going to upgrade to an Nvidia GTX 580 or maybe the 590 depending on a few things. I used to enjoy ATI quite a bit but after putting more research into it, Nvidia is just pulling away with it for me now. If your willing to spend the money, Id say go with the 580.

At every price point, AMD and nVidia video cards are pretty much the same. They perform about the same and their driver support is about the same these days. Only thing that nVidia has that AMD doesn't is the GTX 580, AMD just doesn't have anything that competes at that price point. GTX 590 vs AMD 6990, 6990 is a liiiiittle bit better, it's just LOUD AS ALL HELL. Go with whichever, it doesn't matter as they'll all perform about the same for the money.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nvidia+Intel always out perform ATi/AMD+Intel in WoW - by 20-30fps in some cases!

I have a single GTX460 which is overlocked and on my current rig its great - altho it can get a Lil bogged down in 25m fights with lots of particle effects (e.g. BH fel fire). Will see how that improves when I get my new Sandybridge built on the 7th (Getting a 2500K)

I do agree with most things said but i forgot to mention will i be able to run the 4870x2 in crossfire with a directx11 ATI card decently where the new card does all the directx11 support needed and use the second card for pure processing power etc?

At the moment i am able to run a 42" 1920x1080p LCD TV and 2 24" LCD monitors at the same time with little fps problems in wow if i was playing wow on both the monitors and streaming a video on the TV.

Bloodsail Admiral dicertification's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakinpacman View Post
    I do agree with most things said but i forgot to mention will i be able to run the 4870x2 in crossfire with a directx11 ATI card decently where the new card does all the directx11 support needed and use the second card for pure processing power etc?At the moment i am able to run a 42" 1920x1080p LCD TV and 2 24" LCD monitors at the same time with little fps problems in wow if i was playing wow on both the monitors and streaming a video on the TV.
    You can only crossfire cards of the same type. I'm back on my 6970's and love em. Really just get the best bang for the buck. I agree with Cantii, not so much the other two.

Quote Originally Posted by Bakinpacman View Post
    I do agree with most things said but i forgot to mention will i be able to run the 4870x2 in crossfire with a directx11 ATI card decently where the new card does all the directx11 support needed and use the second card for pure processing power etc?

At the moment i am able to run a 42" 1920x1080p LCD TV and 2 24" LCD monitors at the same time with little fps problems in wow if i was playing wow on both the monitors and streaming a video on the TV.
    Sadly, it doesn't work that way. You'll have to completely replace your 4870x2 Crossfire configuration with the single DX11 card, which will outperform your crossfire setup, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by m2geek View Post
    Nvidia+Intel always out perform ATi/AMD+Intel in WoW - by 20-30fps in some cases!

I have a single GTX460 which is overlocked and on my current rig its great - altho it can get a Lil bogged down in 25m fights with lots of particle effects (e.g. BH fel fire). Will see how that improves when I get my new Sandybridge built on the 7th (Getting a 2500K)
    WRONG. Holy carp, wrong. There is absolutely ZERO proof that Intel+nVidia or AMD+AMD GPUs perform better. I'd like to see your absolute proof that using and Intel CPU with an nVidia GPU will completely and utterly, across the board, outperform an Intel CPU with an AMD GPU of similar price point and caliber. Here's a hint: it doesn't exist.

Don't be mistaking one manufacturer performing better in certain games and vice-versa for something like that, as that is definitely true. Such as nVidia cards run a game like HAWX II better than AMD cards, where AMD cards run something like Dirt 3 better than nVidia cards. It's always give and take.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantii View Post
    Sadly, it doesn't work that way. You'll have to completely replace your 4870x2 Crossfire configuration with the single DX11 card, which will outperform your crossfire setup, anyway.

WRONG. Holy carp, wrong. There is absolutely ZERO proof that Intel+nVidia or AMD+AMD GPUs perform better. I'd like to see your absolute proof that using and Intel CPU with an nVidia GPU will completely and utterly, across the board, outperform an Intel CPU with an AMD GPU of similar price point and caliber. Here's a hint: it doesn't exist.

Don't be mistaking one manufacturer performing better in certain games and vice-versa for something like that, as that is definitely true. Such as nVidia cards run a game like HAWX II better than AMD cards, where AMD cards run something like Dirt 3 better than nVidia cards. It's always give and take.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...3,2953-11.html

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...ance,2793.html

Even on my own rig I borrowed a friends 5870 and its fps was lower than my GTX460, WoW has always run better on NVidia IMO

Deleted
    Ah yes, the tests which just about every community afterwards proved was done with CRITICALLY FLAWED METHODOLOGY.

In other words, a void and useless test.

Bloodsail Admiral dicertification's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Lol at tomshardware. That and the op was referring to BF3.