Gaming Laptop, need some help

Hey there,
    first of all id like to thank anybody posting in this thread for helping me out.

Ok, atm im playing on a samsung E172 aura. Its 3 years old and wasnt really the best laptop out there back then, therefore I need something new.

Im looking for a new laptop (I like laptops, since I have to be mobile a lot) with very good hardware and a nice large screen.
    Mine has 17inch atm, thats really fine, since if I wanted a large screen id just buy a 22inch screen somewhere cheap and plug it in.

The price doesnt really matter (over 2k euros would probably be too much though.)

Ive been looking at the alienware laptops, they seem really good. How are they actually? I mean also by the quality, good company or not?
    Any special tips people have?

I know many people are gonna say, get a normal pc, but I kind of cant :-/.

ps. I will also be playing other games, such as witcher, crysis etc (my laptop can only handle them at mid-low settings.)

Thank you again

Asus G73 JH. Im in love with my beast.

http://usa.asus.com/Notebooks/Gaming_Powerhouse/G74SX/
    (
    That link is to a different laptop, but if you have the money for it its top notch
    Last edited by Traman; 2011-06-28 at 03:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisgoat View Post
    Saw that thread, but its kinda derailed and dead. No useful information.

http://www.dell.com/us/p/Alienware-m18x/pd.aspx
    Looks nice, but if you want to upgrade the graphics card and RAM, it will be about 2600 euro.

http://www.notebookreview.com/defaul...asus+g73+g73jh
    The G73 JH you mentioned.

And
    http://usa.asus.com/Notebooks/Gaming_Powerhouse/G74SX/
    The one you posted.
    This is probably the newer version of the G73JH.
    It looks really good.

Any more tips?

Ye, buy the non 3D version of the g53sx, 15'' cost around 10-20% less than the g74sx... ofc if you got the money and WANT 3D, glass free... go for it! But Imo, buy the 15'' and connect it to a big screen instead... also it's "moveable" which, imo a 17'' aint.

Quote Originally Posted by Vikzter View Post
    Ye, buy the non 3D version of the g53sx, 15'' cost around 10-20% less than the g74sx... ofc if you got the money and WANT 3D, glass free... go for it! But Imo, buy the 15'' and connect it to a big screen instead... also it's "moveable" which, imo a 17'' aint.
    Isnt there a non 3D - g74sx aswell? 17'' isnt that bad, my laptop atm is 17''.

3d is kinda stupid imo, its also supposed to be worse for your eyes.

ye there is a non 3d 17'' too, but it will also cost more than the non 3d 15'' ... my point is the extra 2'' aint worth the cash, imo

10+ Year Old Account
    I have to be honest, I always thought 17" was small.... but actually I much prefer my 15.6" laptop to my 17" or 19" laptops .... even though my 15.6" is actually a lower spec, it's just easier to use.

Quote Originally Posted by Djinni View Post
    I have to be honest, I always thought 17" was small.... but actually I much prefer my 15.6" laptop to my 17" or 19" laptops .... even though my 15.6" is actually a lower spec, it's just easier to use.
    Ill have to see how much the 15 and 17 will cost in my country. Sould be out this week. Probably buy it in a few weeks, after there have been more tests by users.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pawsz View Post
    Ill have to see how much the 15 and 17 will cost in my country. Sould be out this week. Probably buy it in a few weeks, after there have been more tests by users.
    I'd recomend you find one of each to try for a few weeks. Even if the 15.6" costs slightly more, it's vastly more portable than you might think. My brother hates taking his laptop into Uni becuase its so big (he has the 17" one) I take mine (15.6") with me pretty much everywhere. (Before someone argues we are different people therefore will respond differently, we swapped for a week, and guess what :P same results. He took my 15.6" laptop everywhere and I left the 17" at home all the time.)

I'm just pointing out that while the larger screen might be more appealing for gaming and movies, it makes much more of pain to use and carry around.

Obviously I can't put a value on the difference for you, other than illustrating as above and telling you to try the different screen sizes for a week or two before spending lots of money on something you potentially don't use for it's primary function.

Quote Originally Posted by Djinni View Post
    I thought my 16" was waaaaaay too big. So I bought a 14". It's barely small enough.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisgoat View Post
    I thought my 16" was waaaaaay too big. So I bought a 14". It's barely small enough.
    Wimmin.....
    Besides... you can fit a 12" into your handbag.. so yeah... I can see the appeal of going insanely small..

Off topic... But If you remove anything that says screen this is probably the most entertained I've been all day. Guys comparing sizes on what's to big and small>.
    Quote Originally Posted by WeaponXAnimosity View Post
    As a Druid, you may experience temporary loss of wood.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by capnscoob View Post
    Off topic... But If you remove anything that says screen this is probably the most entertained I've been all day. Guys comparing sizes on what's to big and small>.
    Tetris is a female... ;-)

(And that's the last we'll say about that...)

I bought a Samsung Q530, notebook. its great, atleast for me, it costs i would bet around 400-500eruo atm 60fps and full graphics, np at all.

I travel alot so its handy when i want to pwn some noobs in pvp while im on buisness travels

Well, If I want a small notebook to work id get something else, 15 inch should be fine there.
    My gaming laptop doesnt have to be small, but I dont want a normal pc where I have to detach all the cabels and rebuild everything if I switch appartments or houses or go to a friends place.

I bought the G74sx dunno where you can buy it for your country..

the thing that dragged me more to the PC was:

Blow It Out the Rear

The harder you work, the more heat you generate. A computer is no different, and with the amount of power in the G74SX, some serious cooling is needed. A unique venting design pulls air from underneath the notebook, cooling the system down, then vents it through the rear, keeping hot air away from the user and reducing ambient noise for prolonged gaming.

also with good graphic and how it was designed was a win win for me
    scoll down the site and you see more about the G74sx asus http://www.komplett.no/k/ki.aspx?sku=635481

Quote Originally Posted by psychedelica View Post
    I bought the G74sx dunno where you can buy it for your country..

the thing that dragged me more to the PC was:

Blow It Out the Rear

The harder you work, the more heat you generate. A computer is no different, and with the amount of power in the G74SX, some serious cooling is needed. A unique venting design pulls air from underneath the notebook, cooling the system down, then vents it through the rear, keeping hot air away from the user and reducing ambient noise for prolonged gaming.

also with good graphic and how it was designed was a win win for me
    scoll down the site and you see more about the G74sx asus http://www.komplett.no/k/ki.aspx?sku=635481

ahh nice, need more feedback gogo how is the keyboard? how is the screen? does it reflect light a lot?

Hmm, I'm quite sure the ROG series are taking the air in from the front, and NOT underneath, therefor it will have no use of a coolingpad, nor will it get a "bad" airflow from a solid surface.

Imo the asus ROG G series is brilliant, planning to buy one myself when komplett get it in stock ^^

10+ Year Old Account
    Asus G51Jx - £1000
    Battalion X8100-U3 - £1399