Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Deleted

Which Motherboard for my i5 2500k Processor??

Helloooo! Here again. Im going to buy intel core i5 2500k processor but I have no idea which motherboard that the processor fits in or which of those who are the best one.
    These are my 2 options.

MSI P67A-GD65 B3, Socket-1155
    ATX, P67, DDR3, 2xPCIe(2.0)x16, SLI/CFX, SATA 6Gb/s, USB3.0, eSATA, FW, THX, EFI

ASUS P8Z68-V PRO, Socket-1155
    ATX, Z68, DDR3, 3xPCIe(2.0)x16, CFX&SLI, SATA 6Gb/s,USB3.0,FW, VGA,DVI,HDMI, EFI

Currently have 6 GB ram,
    Windows 7, 64 bit
    ATI Radeon HD 5770 Graphic card

Going to be a gameing computer.

Please post any opinions of which is the best.

10+ Year Old Account
    I like my P8Z68-V Pro. Honestly I'd go with whichever you like. Sandybridge mobos don't hold much ground as far as the maximum range you can overclock to. Z68's are nice, but are more oriented toward people who do encoding since it has Quick Sync available even while using discrete GPU's.

If you're looking for the best one, get the Z68. Though 6GiB RAM is a bit odd, do you have three sticks, or are they just different capacities? You'll want an even number of matched memory sticks for best Sandy Bridge compatibility.
    Super casual.

ASUS P8P67 Deluxe if you're going for the best price aswell. http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Int.../P8P67_DELUXE/
    Playing since 2007.

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    +1 for MSI

I'm happy with mine.
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nellah View Post
    If you're looking for the best one, get the Z68. Though 6GiB RAM is a bit odd, do you have three sticks, or are they just different capacities? You'll want an even number of matched memory sticks for best Sandy Bridge compatibility.
    at the moment I have 3x 2gb
    But heard you can get 1 that is high or somethime

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePrittyGirl View Post
    Sadly what'll end up happening is you'll be in Single Channel mode if you run all 3 sticks. So yeah, I'd definitely get a 4th stick

I'm not sure what memory sticks would use to get blitzed. You can probably get another 2GiB stick and as long as they're the same spec (and preferably the same manufacturer) they'll work fine.
    Super casual.

Deleted
    Ohh god, not again! I hate when people say different things! Asus or MSI for best gameing prefomens ?

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    P8P67 LE is decent, considering the price. Much better than the cheap MSI boards like mine.
    red panda red panda red panda!

Deleted
    If we say I'm going to buy totally new memory, what shall i go for , there is like taking few 2gb memories, or saw one for 2x 4gb ones, any ideas?

10+ Year Old Account
    Ohh god, not again! I hate when people say different things! Asus or MSI for best gameing prefomens ?
    The motherboard has maybe a 1% effect in gaming performance. It's your CPU, GPU, RAM that determine your gaming performance, not the motherboard

Both are very nice boards and if you want to save some cash I'd go for the MSI since it tends to be cheaper.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saithes View Post
    The motherboard has maybe a 1% effect in gaming performance. It's your CPU, GPU, RAM that determine your gaming performance, not the motherboard
    This.

You're not going to be playing and be like, oh yeah, FEEL THAT ASUS MOTHERBOARD GO.
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

To be honest, motherboard brand isn't going to have much bearing on game performance. All you need to look for is features you might need (Crossfire/SLI support, overclocking, UEFI, number of PCI-E/USB3.0 slots) and after that it's gravy. Z68 has SSD caching, which is nice if you have an old, small SSD around 20GB that you want to use to speed up your computer, but otherwise is barely different from the P67. It's been a while since inherent motherboard chipset differences had drastic effects on game performance, especially since Intel chipsets all come from one manufacturer... Intel.
    Super casual.

I vote for the asus because im useing one and it works great

You probably dont need more then 4gb total but i still vote for 2x4gb because ram is cheap and you might need it later down the road

Deleted
    Crucial DDR3 1066MHz 8GB KIT CL7 ECC

Kit w/2x DDR3 4GB, ECC, 1.5V, 512x72, 240pin

one memory package i found, 8 GB : 2 x 4 GB .. too much or should i get like 6gb or anyhing?
    so noob on this....

10+ Year Old Account

one memory package i found, 8 GB : 2 x 4 GB .. too much or should i get like 6gb or anyhing?
    so noob on this....
    Nah it's better to just go with 2x4GB.

10+ Year Old Account

so noob on this....
    It's cheap enough that it just makes sense if you're building a new one to go with 8 gigs. You may not touch it soon, but you won't have to upgrade it either.

Deleted
    so this 8 gigs fits? as i understand it can only care 6gb? if im short on cash, should i get 6 gig instead?

10+ Year Old Account
    so this 8 gigs fits? as i understand it can only care 6gb? if im short on cash, should i get 6 gig instead?
    the motherboards are set as dual channels, putting 3 dimms in will keep one slot open and cause them to run as single channel, gimping performance. stick with 2x4gig, there can't be that big of a price difference.