10+ Year Old Account

Starting my new computer - Problems

Hey I've just built my first pc for the first time, and I'm having a few problems starting it up. There are a series of LED's that flash up basically checking that each component is working before it starts.
    At the moment all are working, apart from the HDD one. I followed the manual as it said, it has power and a sata connection to the motherboard but the LED remains on, and the computer can't start up without it. I've tried all the sata ports (apart from one which I'm using for the disc drive) and none seem to work.

This is my motherboard: http://www.misco.co.uk/applications/...nents-_-187068

This is the harddrive I'm using (well 2 of them but just trying to get the first one working for now): http://www.amazon.co.uk/Western-Digi...6250333&sr=8-1

Any help would be appreciated as this is the last thing I need to "work" before I can setup my BIOS and OS.

Thanks.

10+ Year Old Account
    You can go into your BIOS without the Hard Drive working. Trying playing around with the SATA settings in there, maybe your mobo will recognize it.
    i7 930 @ 4.0Ghz | Sapphire HD5970 w/ Accelero Xtreme | ASUS P6X58D Premium | 32GB Kingston DDR3-1600
    Xonar Essence STX | 128GB Vertex 4 | AX750 | Xigmatek Elysium
    Laing D5 | XSPC RX 360mm | Koolance RP-452X2 | EK-Supreme HF
    Dell 3007WFP-HC | Samsung BX2350 | Das Keyboard Model S Ultimate | Razer Naga Molten | Sennheiser HD650

10+ Year Old Account
    Well at the moment, the screen aint even starting up. Thats why I'm thinking that it can't run without it. I checked that the screen works, which it does. But it doesn't bring anything up when I start the computer.

Deleted
    You computer should boot up and run until a point (where it wants to load the operating system) without anyhard disks. If you can get into BIOS try to check if it can recognize your HDD. You say that the screen doesnt even start up, i think you problem is not with your HDD but with an other component... Try to check your Video Card, maybe you forgot to plug in the extra power connectors.

10+ Year Old Account
    Everything is plugged in and working apart from the HDD. Already had a friend check out what he could through skype (he has much more experiance than I do) but he couldn't find anything wrong. All power cables are in. Screen still won't start up.

You can get to BIOS with just the Motherboard, PSU, CPU, 1 stick of RAM and the Monitor (might need one graphics card if no VGA/DVI/whatever port on mobo).

Try to boot up with the absolute minimum. If you still cant get into BIOS you can try some of these.

Reset the CMOS. Unplug power and the big battery on the mobo, wait a few minutes, then toss the battery back in and plug power back in. The CMOS might have some bad values stored in it that are preventing video from displaying.

If your Mobo has a digital display for POST codes, see which code it sticks on, google it. This can help find hardware issues during POST.

Check your power. Insure the switch on the PSU is set to the right voltage. 110V and 220V are completely different (110V for US, 220V for Europe) Check your power cables, ensure that they are all plugged into the correct spots and firmly attached. You might want to disconnect each one and plug them back in, double checking the amperage of each wire and the requirement of each piece of hardware.

Make sure you used EVERY single spacer for the back of the Mobo. If it came with plastic or cardboard washers, use those too. If your mobo is touching the case at any single point this can cause a ground and make certain parts not work, or even worse... catch on fire. Also make sure the the Mobo and back of the case are not bowed or bent/bending. An over-tighted CPU cooler or faulty craftsmanship will cause this, and the Mobo might be touching the case.

Remove the PSU and test with a Multimeter. They are extremely cheap. Lay the PSU on a table or bench, plug it in. Be sure the wires cannot ground or touch each other. (Tape the ends to be safe) You'll want to test each cable to ensure that each actually has the same output in volts and amps that it is rated for. I've seen PSU's that have been mislabeled or wires have been switched between NEG and POS at the factory. Here is a link. You can probably find them at Wal-Mart or any Auto Parts store locally.
    http://www.amazon.com/Equus-3310-Hands-Free-Digital-Multimeter/dp/B000GKEXWA/ref=sr_1_5?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1309284247&sr=1-5

If none of this works, you might have a hardware issue. Most likely the motherboard since we already tested the PSU. If you have the option of testing single pieces of hardware in another computer, thats the best option to narrow down which part is bad. When you find it, contact the manufacturer or the supplier and find out how to do a RMA. Some RMA's will need you to send the part via one of the main postal services so they can check it and replace it, or they might send you a new part with a returnable box for the old part. This will depend on the manufacture's policy.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Adon; 2011-06-28 at 06:15 PM. Reason: Edited for clarity.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for all the responses. Basically it was just me being a complete retard xD
    I had plugged the vga cable into the motherboard instead of the graphics card *facepalm*. Once I was in the BIOS area the HDD auto added itself so all was ok. Time to install wow methinks :P