Holy Shield Macro

Ok, so im at work and i havent had a chance to play around yet since the change to Holy Shield and im curious what everyone thinks. Im wondering if it would be better to macro Holy Shield to every attack since its off the GCD and would essentially make sure its up as much as it can OR whether leaving it alone and simply using it when you know a big hit is coming is the better solution. Any thoughts?

Just get Power Auras, to tell you when it is off cooldown. Much easier then macroing it into every spell.

Creating the macros is simple enough, takes no time to do. I was more interested in what people thought would have more benefit while tanking. Hitting an extra button is easy, so its not about that either. Would it be more benefit to make sure that its always on CD, or to save it occasionally and pop it more when you "think" a big hit is coming?

Deleted
    You should be using it in conjunction with heavy damage periods as opposed to keeping it on cooldown. If you wanted to macro it at all to abilities your best bet would be against damage reduction cooldowns.

---------- Post added 2011-06-28 at 11:55 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Nàrcissus View Post
    Creating the macros is simple enough, takes no time to do. I was more interested in what people thought would have more benefit while tanking. Hitting an extra button is easy, so its not about that either. Would it be more benefit to make sure that its always on CD, or to save it occasionally and pop it more when you "think" a big hit is coming?
    It will be better to use it as appropriate. You would most likely reduce your overall damage taken by using HS on cooldown, however you would also not have it available at points when you are taking a lot of damage. ie. the points in a fight when you are hardest to heal.

For the sake of argument you could macro it to ardent defender etc. then also use it when available at points when you are taking additional damage.

Deleted
    I would use it to avoid spikes since this is the only real reason for tank deaths. You will get overheal anyway so it won't save the healers mana if you just use it on CD when you don't get a lot of dmg.
    However I noticed that I didn't even used it yesterday. O_o I just forgot that we have this now...

I would personally rather pop it when I decide to, and not whenever it's off cooldown.

Same reason I much prefer "Use" trinkets to "Chance to proc" trinkets. Sure the latter ones are more convenient and give you less things to think about, but on the other hand I am sure most procs go to waste this way.
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    I just marco'd Holy Shield to Shield of the Righteous, as I noticed that I just don't hit the Holy Shield button at all since its not part of my rotation. What stood from doing this is that since I tend to use Inquisition a lot more since WoG gain a CD, when I do actually use SotR, Holy Shield is available about half the time. Since I tend to pull 14k dps on average when Vengence is up, it seems to be a good fix for me and my playstyle. Also, Holy Shield will still kick off even if I miss on my SotR attempt, so win-win.

SJ

Right now I don't macro it and I don't use it all the time, only when I'm about to take damage. However, this feels a bit off because it's meant to function like Shield Block on a Prot Warrior, but Shield Block IS meant to be spammed and used whenever it's off cooldown (and most Prot Warriors DO macro it to Shield Slam).

I might experiment and try to macro it to just shield as opposed to everything like some people were discussing when the change was first announced.