10+ Year Old Account

looking for new graphics card

I have been having a lot of trouble lately finding a new graphics card. Here is my systems info:
    bus: PCI1 or AGP
    power:250watts
    Price: less than $100
    Thank you in advance.
    Last edited by shadowlich; 2011-06-29 at 04:35 AM.

PCI-E x1? Original PCI? Or PCI-E x16 1.0?
    Super casual.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nellah View Post
    PCI-E x1? Original PCI? Or PCI-E x16 1.0?
    Original Pci1 yes my motherboard is that old.
    Last edited by shadowlich; 2011-06-29 at 03:38 AM.

Holy crap. You might be better off looking at a new computer if your motherboard doesn't even have an AGP slot... PCI video cards are tragically slow, the PCI bus just isn't fast enough for the high speed data transfer that modern GPUs require.

I think there are some PCI models of maybe the GT430 out there... if so, that'll be by far the best you'll be able to find, I think. What is the rest of your computer like though?
    Super casual.

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowlich View Post
    I have been having a lot of trouble lately finding a new graphics card. Here is my systems info:
    bus: pci1
    Well, there's your problem.
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nellah View Post
    Holy crap. You might be better off looking at a new computer if your motherboard doesn't even have an AGP slot... PCI video cards are tragically slow, the PCI bus just isn't fast enough for the high speed data transfer that modern GPUs require.

I think there are some PCI models of maybe the GT430 out there... if so, that'll be by far the best you'll be able to find, I think. What is the rest of your computer like though?
    well it actualy does have an AGP slot ill add it to the info

Okay, AGP is better, kinda. The video cards aren't any faster, but the bus is. Look for a used 7900GT or something. I think that's the last AGP card they made, though I might have seen an HD 4650 AGP variant somewhere.
    Super casual.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmm if that's some kind of a Dell (or some other premade) I wouldn't recommend "upgrading" anything in it. Because that 250w PSU looks suspiciously like it was made for a PC that was aimed at web surfing.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

Yeah, with a 250 watt power supply you'll be very limited. You could get a new power supply for the computer, but that'll eat too much of your budget to get anything anywhere near powerful. I mean, AGP... I haven't seen that in a computer for at least six years.

You would probably be better off saving up for a new PC. You can get new hardware remarkably cheap these days. I priced a system for a friend that came out to ~$490 including video card and OS. Midrange parts, but it'll still run WoW on High/Ultra.
    Last edited by Nellah; 2011-06-29 at 12:20 PM.
    Super casual.