Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Franuki View Post
    about a half hour in, it's alright i guess, but the combat seems slow, and people have made it out to be better than, (from what i've currently seen) is.

Does it get better eventually? Or should i be looking to play this game in small chunks of time?
    Play on the highest difficulty. It gets much more complicated later in the game, I assume after half an hour you haven't yet passed the tutorial on that space ship, which means you only have 1-2 skills. Later on you will have way more skills, and you will have a party. Combat does remain pretty slow, but it sure is interesting.

But anyway, KotOR is all about the story. You will get sucked in eventually, since the storyline owns.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxos View Post
    When you play the game of MMOs, you win or you go f2p.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbodymoman View Post
    Play on the highest difficulty. It gets much more complicated later in the game, I assume after half an hour you haven't yet passed the tutorial on that space ship, which means you only have 1-2 skills. Later on you will have way more skills, and you will have a party. Combat does remain pretty slow, but it sure is interesting.

But anyway, KotOR is all about the story. You will get sucked in eventually, since the storyline owns.
    The revelation at the end gave me shivers. This is the only time a video game story has ever drawn me in like this haha
    "More pewpew less QQ"

This post was merely a setback!

Quote Originally Posted by Greasy McNasty View Post
    I'm not even a big Star Wars fan but the story is great. Even if you don't like it, just play until you meet HK-47.
    Indeed, best character ever created :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxos View Post
    When you play the game of MMOs, you win or you go f2p.

It was a long time ago that I played it so I guess it is not up to par with modern graphics. I do remember not expecting anything good from it (movie game and all, I dont care for the SW franchise).

Found it a really fun game and finished it in like a day or so.

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    You realize that KOTOR was a classic style RPG when game play was slow, however the story of the game was really good. by today's standards its and old game.

I say play it through for the story, you will find that SWtOR will use a ton of story elements from that game. Even HK 47 one of the greatest characters ever in any game was in KOTOR and will be in SWtOR

15+ Year Old Account
    KOTOR 1+2 are simply one of the best RPGs ever created, including western and japanese ones. I never thought the combat was "slow". Sure it's not action-combat, it's tactical combat, and as others said you can queue up abilities and stuff like that, which makes it, again, rather tactical.

Also, of course, the level of the story is pretty much on level with the old star wars trilogy. About half way through, your mind will be fucking blown. Also, as other said, HK-47 is simply the best character ever created.
    You know what is better than drinking a beer? Brewing your own beer. And then drinking it. And then... Drinking another beer. And then, punching somebody in the snout! That's what!

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    On the subject of HK-47...

Spoilers please don't read if you haven't seen HK-47:

Favorite quote:

"Explanation: It's just that... you have all these squishy parts, master. And all that water! How the constant sloshing doesn't drive you mad, I have no idea..."" ―HK-47

10+ Year Old Account
    Combat is clunky, but it shines as a great RPG. Not a great action-adventure game.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    Not a great action-adventure game.
    Of course not. RPG and Action-Adventure are two completely different genres, why should a great RPG be anything but NOT and action-adventure?
    You know what is better than drinking a beer? Brewing your own beer. And then drinking it. And then... Drinking another beer. And then, punching somebody in the snout! That's what!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AetherMcLoud View Post
    Of course not. RPG and Action-Adventure are two completely different genres, why should a great RPG be anything but NOT and action-adventure?
    that's kinda what he said

Anyway I thought the combat was horrible as well, not because I don't like slow combat, just because well, it was just horrible

might give it another chance

Quote Originally Posted by Nachopie View Post
    Kotor will blow your damn mind.

---------- Post added 2011-06-29 at 02:51 AM ----------

Had you beaten it you would have learned the the story was actually amazing.
    Much as I like kotor, this is a bad way to advertise it. Saying that a game as long as kotor can only be enjoyed if you beat it will just scare people off that don't want to invest all that time for a delayed reward. The story gets pretty excellent long before you beat the game.
    Actually, Mr. Lennon, I CAN imagine a world with no hatred, religion, war, or violence.
    I can also imagine attacking such a world, because they would never see it coming.

http://mhkeehn.tripod.com/trashcan.jpg
    http://politicalhumor.about.com/libr...s/carville.jpe

For once, Carville was a man ahead of his time.

I completely forgot about the combat after awhile. The story is amazing and the main thing to go for :P

Kotor was the best rpg of its time that's for sure. All of my gaming friends were playing it constantly, that and morrowind. I'm sure that trying to play it now would be quite a step backwards compared to some stuff released nowadays.

10+ Year Old Account
    I just remembered why I quit playing Kotor, every time I leave combat, I get stuck and have to save and reload, never found a fix

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NomadicGod View Post
    Kotor was the best rpg of its time that's for sure. All of my gaming friends were playing it constantly, that and morrowind. I'm sure that trying to play it now would be quite a step backwards compared to some stuff released nowadays.
    Graphics-wise sure, but it's not horrid, and the focus is still it's RPG elements, which still rock. And there's a few good mods for it too. Not quite to Morrowind level, but a few to spice things up a bit if you're replaying it.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

My first WoW toon and my mmo-name was based off of these two games:

Revan + Malak = Revak

Loved those games. Been thinking about going back to play them again sometime soon, prior to the mmo coming out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Franuki View Post
    about a half hour in, it's alright i guess, but the combat seems slow, and people have made it out to be better than, (from what i've currently seen) is.

Does it get better eventually? Or should i be looking to play this game in small chunks of time?
    From what I remember it seems to be a bit slow, but not horrendous. Remember this game is 8 years old now.
    "Work is da poop! NO MORE!" - Disgruntled Dragonmaw Peon

Quote Originally Posted by Turbodymoman View Post

Just got off the ship and talking with Carth, i think i only had rapid shot and a grenade, anyway i guess i'll play it some more.
    Asdfgh

The reason the combat feels so slow to most people is that its a modified D20 turn based combat system. Its not a smooth flowing combat system like newer generation RPGs, but more akin to Baldur's Gate and the old school tactical rpgs of its era.

I pulled it out again recently and really felt the age of the combat system. However, I was immeadiately sucked back into the story. I was even able to pick up a partially done save and have fun right off the bat (except Manaan, that watery hell hole can burn).

Knights of the old republic to me is just an interactive story ...seriously it does not have that great of game play but it does have a kinda of cool drawn out story line that you take part in ...if you want better combat play the force unleashed that has very fun combat