Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raging Clue View Post
    I'm running a i7 2600k @ 4.7 ghz, a gtx 580 and 8 gb 1600 ram and I only manage around 75 fps in Stormwind running absolute full ultra. I don't see your pc running at 120 fps average being even plausible.
    +1, Running a 2600K @ 5GHz and a HD 6970 Lightning managing around 65-75 fps with complete ultra as well(yes shadows). I have my doubts just like tetris about mannenabo's claims of performance lol.

My computer is fairly old now - about 2 years, replacement due just after Christmas, although I have upgraded one or two pieces after malfunction/redundancy. It's a DELL XPS model, hence the upgrade/replacement requirement as the damned case leaves severe restrictions on the Mobo I can get in there - didn't realise that when I bought it. Research fail ftw.

I'm sitting on
    E6600 Quad Core - not o/c
    3GB DDR3
    Radeon 4890 1GB FX card
    Using Raid on 2x Sata II drives - not that it provides a huge performance increase with games.
    24" LG Monitor on 1080p.
    Windows 7 Home Premium

I run the game on max resolution (1080p) with pretty much everything on Ultra, including shadows. The main exceptions being antialiasing on x8 and filtering on x2 or 4 (can't remember, patching as we speak).

My FPS is rarely below 60, except in city areas where it occasionally drops to around 30 depending on activity, occasionally slightly lower. But as it's a city and not a raid environment, I don't normally care :P

This was a mid range machine when I bought it 2.5 years ago and it runs perfectly well on ultra settings with one or two compromises. I hope this helps to answer your question.

Deleted
    im not even sure if this is to good or what but i run ultra no problem 40fps maybe even 60

4.00 GB RAM
    64-bit operating system
    500 GB hard disk
    NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250
    Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E4500 @ 2.20GHz

In fact can someone shed some light on how decent that is cos im really not 100% sure what im working with here as i dident build it my self.

I have everything set to ultra except for Shadows I have it set to High and I usually have 60+ Fps Everywhere besides big cities like stormwind, There I get around 40-50

Here are my Specs
    4gb Ram
    Radeon HD 5770 1gb
    Amd Phenom 9750 Quad Core 2.4ghz
    550 watt Powersupply
    Win 7 32-Bit
    1 TB Hard Drive
    I play at 1920x1080
    22" Dynex HDTV
    Overall my System only cost me about $400 and another $150 for the Monitor and I got both around christmas last year. I hope my post helps.

Quote Originally Posted by mannenabo View Post
    if you want to load models faster you need an ssd, I get no frame drops in major towns
    I'm using an Agility 3 120g. Anyways, SSD's have no fps advantages over a mechanical drive.

10+ Year Old Account
    to bad fraps cap fps at 30, else It would be provable
    I dont know what world you live in, but fraps can record at 50 or 60 frames (i do all my recording at 50) and using programs like Premiere Pro CS5 you can retain all those frames or compress them down (i compress to f4v, ~30 fps in 720p HD) before uploading to youtube.

My spec is
    i7 2600K @ 4.3
    MSI P67A-GD65
    2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws
    Nvidia 560 Ti (1GB OC to 900MHz)
    2x OCZ 60GB Vertex 2 SSD
    Corsair 1000Z PSU
    23" monitor 1980x1020

I run everything on ultra, max settings in 25s never get less tahn 58 fps and i think that is only because my max is 60 (due to monitor)

I do strongly recommend the GTX 560Ti. It is inexpensive and packs A LOT of punch.

Deleted
    I run -

gtx 580
    it 2500k
    8gb corsair vengeance ram

with v-sync off im getting 140fps average.

15+ Year Old Account
    Sigh - I've seen a lot of back and forth.

Tu run on true ultra plus

OC i52500k
    560 ti is the minimum card you need (I'm an Nvidia fan over AMD, just who I be(also, the higher cards aren't worth price, imo))
    Those are the most relevant components
    Get a 650 80+ PSU
    4GB ram is fine, but if you're dropping your load on a GPU, just go to 8GB
    SSDs increase initial load but play no weight on FPS in game

This GPU is what I would personally go for

10+ Year Old Account
    to bad fraps cap fps at 30, else It would be provable
    orly? because mine caps at 120,

as well there is a benchmark mode in fraps

Quote Originally Posted by uggorthaholy View Post
    Sigh - I've seen a lot of back and forth.

Tu run on true ultra plus

OC i52500k
    560 ti is the minimum card you need (I'm an Nvidia fan over AMD, just who I be(also, the higher cards aren't worth price, imo))
    Those are the most relevant components
    Get a 650 80+ PSU
    4GB ram is fine, but if you're dropping your load on a GPU, just go to 8GB
    SSDs increase initial load but play no weight on FPS in game

This GPU is what I would personally go for
    GTX460 handles wow full-ultra. 400w PSU is enough. SSDs are overkill.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisgoat View Post
    GTX460 handles wow full-ultra. 400w PSU is enough. SSDs are overkill.
    Are you talking full ultra, or ultra plus?

Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post

I think we need to define what "Ultra" in WoW is as it seems to mean different things to everyone. As such, i'd like to put forth the following definitions;

- TrueUltra; Everything at "Ultra" including Shadows, 8x Antialiasing, and 16x Anisotropic filtering. Values without an "Ultra" level are set to "High".
    - Ultra-S; Everything at "Ultra" except Shadows. 8x Antialiasing, and 16x Anisotropic filtering. Values without an "Ultra" level are set to "High".
    - TrueUltra+C; Everything is set at Ultra including Shadows, 8x Antialiasing, and 16x Anisotropic filtering. Values of variables are set at the max available in The 4.0 Maximum Graphics Settings Guide. This is the highest quality available in WoW. Essentially, the quality of the game is above what Ultra sets.

For TrueUltra, you'll probably want to look in the range of having a card with 1.2GB+ Video RAM. A modern CPU is very advantageous if you want stable FPS.

For TrueUltra+C, you'll want to look at the best available as ground density in particular is very stressing when you set it to the max available. 1.5GB VRAM is recommended, and multiple graphics cards helps immensly. You need a truly beefy CPU to handle this.

TrueUltra requires a good CPU and a lot more Video RAM, simply because the shadows in WoW are actually stored (or at least handled) as textures.

TrueUltra+C is generally considered the best graphics available in WoW but does require you to set custom values (details and instructions available in the guide). It requires an immense system to be able to keep your FPS steady.
    For "TrueUltra+C" I would recommend the 560 ti. Based on the way the question was asked "ultra plus" I would assume he wants Ultra+C

Are you talking full ultra, or ultra plus?
    I see nothing there called UltraPlus, but I assume you mean TrueUltra+C? I don't have the faintest. I know that I handle TrueUltra in Stormwind with 60~fps in 1080p.

I'm not patched to 4.2, nor am I sure I'm subbed, so I won't bother checking.

Rig in my signature dual 560ti's vsync on, ultra all but shadows and 60fps everywhere all the time 1920x1200 resolution.

15+ Year Old Account
    I see nothing there called UltraPlus, but I assume you mean TrueUltra+C? I don't have the faintest. I know that I handle TrueUltra in Stormwind with 60~fps in 1080p.

I'm not patched to 4.2, nor am I sure I'm subbed, so I won't bother checking.
    Yes, hastily written post was hastily written while at work.

He asked for "Ultra +" in his thread title, so I assumed Ultra+C - I have extreme doubts that the 460 will hold up to full shadows, 8x antialiasing, and 16x anisotropic and perform well.

Yes, hastily written post was hastily written while at work.

He asked for "Ultra +" in his thread title, so I assumed Ultra+C - I have extreme doubts that the 460 will hold up to full shadows, 8x antialiasing, and 16x anisotropic and perform well.
    The ones you listed? It does. The ones listed in the link in the quote you posted? No idea.
    However, I think that once I bother booting up my desktop again (has been quiet for a week now :x) I'll try it out, just for you. Before I rip my GTX460 out for my HD6970 and before I bother overclocking my CPU to 4.4 ;p

15+ Year Old Account
    The ones you listed? It does. The ones listed in the link in the quote you posted? No idea.
    However, I think that once I bother booting up my desktop again (has been quiet for a week now :x) I'll try it out, just for you. Before I rip my GTX460 out for my HD6970 and before I bother overclocking my CPU to 4.4 ;p
    If it does all of that on 1080p, I would be quite impressed. Yes, it's a great card, but full shadows, and antialiasing and anisotropic on full.... not so sure. I, myself, have a 460, and I don't see it pulling that kind of weight. Then again, I'm only on an i3, so I could also be slightly bottlenecked at the CPU in that regard.

If it does all of that on 1080p, I would be quite impressed. Yes, it's a great card, but full shadows, and antialiasing and anisotropic on full.... not so sure. I, myself, have a 460, and I don't see it pulling that kind of weight. Then again, I'm only on an i3, so I could also be slightly bottlenecked at the CPU in that regard.
    i3-s are not bad at all, but, the GPU only sets up the framework (max FPS), while it's the job of the CPU to dampen the taxing on the system.

I did check up on your newegg link toward it.
    Have you done any manual overclocking yourself with it? Otherwise, my 880-1760-4400 would be a better card than your 763-1526-3800. :'c

I run a 460 GTX, 965BE, 8GB RAM and with everything max in DX11 I get steady framerates. Haven't logged in since before the patch dropped, minus the mini level 20 trial, but with the same rig I was seeing steady 60 (or slightly less I think flying over SW) just about everywhere. I also got amazing 10 man performance, but I don't recall if shadows were full or not. Will check next time. I do know that it's smooth as silk though. Likely your CPU is the bottleneck, as you suggest. I had a 460 in a 2.3ghz Phenom II quad core and my FPS sucked. Swapped to a 965BE at 3.9ghz and it jumped up 2-3x. Amazing change.

Quote Originally Posted by Zyzzyx View Post
    but I don't recall if shadows were full or not. Will check next time. I do know that it's smooth as silk though.
    With a Phenom II? Hardly. D: I get dips down to 55 with my i5-760, which is 10-15% faster clock-per-clock.

10+ Year Old Account
    Here are my estimations. Feel free to disagree.

For 1920x1080, In-game ultra settings w. 4x multisampling. All on ultra, 60 fps or as close as possible in all scenarios, CPU intensive raids and somwehat GPU intensive new world zones.
    Intel Core i5 2500K
    Nvidia Geforce GTX 560Ti ow Radeon 6870 (GTX 460/560, 5770, 6790, 6850 will cut it in close to all scenarios)
    4GB DDR3 RAM of any speed. Don't multitask heavily.

For 1920x1080, 8x multisampling. "TrueUltra+C"
    Intel Core i5 2500K
    Nvidia Geforce GTX 570 ow Radeon 6950 2GB (extra ground clutter + spell effects while not always looking pretty will chugg a good bit of extra GPU, and 8x MSAA will exceed 1GB of VRAM outdoors in some zones)
    4GB DDR3 RAM of any speed. Don't multitask heavily.

Putting wow on my SSD vs having it on a WD Caviar black.. difference feels minimal really. Rather have it on the RAID since it's like 30 freakin' gigabytes with all the cache it keeps building..