Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Help Building a perfect WoW machine?

I want to build a computer that is capable of playing WoW on Ultra, and on the highest resolution settings possible. The machine that I've been playing on all this time isn't bad, but on bosses like Lord Marrowgar I would damn near completely Freeze up when he would do his bone storm bit and drop all of those flames (so I had to drop my resolution below what I would typically play on just to stay in the whole fight).

My Budget is about $800, and I need something that will allow me to do 25 mans on Ultra that can handle all of the game animations without freezing up. I don't believe it's my internet connection, but if it is I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

Can a tech Savy person give me a list of components? I can just order them, and have someone assemble it from there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Check out Fuzzy's Sweet Spot Build thread go for the $1,500 or so build?

Although It would be helpful to know what your budget is and where you live so we could maybe give you answers that would apply to you, instead of listing compoents that might not even be available in your country yet.

I thought I posted that my Budget is ~$800. Guess I should have made it more obvious, or visible.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd consider a different case to drop the budget down some more, but that's probably as close as you can get with Windows 7 included...

This build should get me the performance I'm looking for? It should be able to handle any animation WoW can throw at me, even if my settings are on Ultra and on mas resolution?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostayame View Post
    This build should get me the performance I'm looking for? It should be able to handle any animation WoW can throw at me, even if my settings are on Ultra and on mas resolution?
    No? You need to throw more money at your computer if you want it to be "godly".

10+ Year Old Account
    I thought I posted that my Budget is ~$800. Guess I should have made it more obvious, or visible.
    Sorry yeah, must have skimmed over it. Sorry.

It'll do well with everything on Ultra (Shadows on High for about twice the framerate with no visual difference). It won't freeze up, and though I don't have a 560 nor have I done 25-man raids, my HD 6950 (roughly comparable card I think) isn't a WoW bottleneck. It won't freeze, but you won't get 60fps everywhere.

(To clarify, you'll be CPU limited, but no CPU/cooling system you can inexpensively find will run everything flawlessly with Shadows on Ultra as well.)
    Super casual.

You're right. How about the cheapest machine I could compose that would allow me to play Ultra/Max resolution WoW? Would it be the $1500 machine that Djinni suggested earlier? If so, can you link the components?

I want to be my gameplay to be like those guys I watch on youtube that have 24 other guild members along with themselves doing casts and abilities on Heroic Halfus without lagging one bit. Plus they have like all of their addons organized cleanly at the bottom of their screen.
    Last edited by Ghostayame; 2011-07-01 at 08:42 PM.

Deleted
    Any PC on the "setup of the month" list should be capable of that. Bare in mind that WoW is quite an old game.

But you should add what resolution you're playing in. Playing at 1920x1200 will obviously require more power than playing at 1650x1050 or even less.

Things you'll definitely need is:
    -4 GB Ram
    -At least a Geforce 460 GTX or higher.

For the rest, check: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...pot-quot-Build

10+ Year Old Account
    You're right. How about the cheapest machine I could compose that would allow me to play Ultra/Max resolution WoW? Would it be the $1500 machine that Djinni suggested earlier? If so, can you link the components?
    I'd say take the build Fuzzykins suggested and go with a 2500K, a Radeon HD 6970 or GTX 580/570 along with a stronger power supply and it should do it.
    Intel Core i7 5820K @ 4.2GHz | Asus X99 Deluxe Motherboard | 16GB Crucial DDR4 2133 | MSI GTX 980 4G GAMING | Corsair HX750 Gold | 500GB Samsung 840 EVO

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Why the focus on playing on "ultra"? When I raid I'm about the height of a nickel on my screen because I'm zoomed out so much. Just curious.
    Not flying my Sig because somebody got butthurt because I posted a question that they didn't like in they're little pet post and sicked ScrapBot on me :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    Also, Saithes, almost 1.54V through a 2600K a little crazy? =P

I've been trying to degrade it for awhile and so far I can't. I've put 1.76v through it lol.. Either its just my chip is insanely resilient, or all of them are I'm not sure yet lol. Decided to just run 1.54-1.55v 24/7 and see how it handles it after 2-3 months lol
    Last edited by Saithes; 2011-07-01 at 08:52 PM.
    Intel Core i7 5820K @ 4.2GHz | Asus X99 Deluxe Motherboard | 16GB Crucial DDR4 2133 | MSI GTX 980 4G GAMING | Corsair HX750 Gold | 500GB Samsung 840 EVO

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunefire View Post
    Why the focus on playing on "ultra"? When I raid I'm about the height of a nickel on my screen because I'm zoomed out so much. Just curious.
    Everything's always better when the settings are on ultra!
    <~$~("The truth, is limitless in its range. If you drop a 'T' and look at it in reverse, it could hurt.")~$~> L.F.

<~$~("The most hopelessly stupid man is he who is not aware he is wise.")~$~> I.A.

Ok, I can actually do without playing with shadows on Ultra, my priority is actually being able to play on Max Resolution, which seems to be 1920x900. So, I don't really need a computer with the soul of a demi-god, I just don't to lag in 25 mans while my resolution is on the highest setting possible. If $800 isn't enough, I can easily hold out a few more months until I have a few more bucks to play around with to get the preferred pieces.
    Last edited by Ghostayame; 2011-07-01 at 08:55 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    Holy shi-- XD
    That's certainly crazy. You've now given me the bug of wanting to get back up to 4.8Ghz (just this time, hopefully without 1.52V going through it and still crashing out).
    Well, according to Intel's revised datasheets the maximum specified voltage for Sandybridge is 1.52v... I'm attempting to test and see if there's any degradation from running 1.52-1.55v over the course of months and for the last 2 and a half months 1.52v didn't do anything as far as showing any signs of degradation. If 1.55v runs fine for a few months I plan to run it until Ivy Bridge comes out and test stability over the course of that time lol

These CPU's definitely show a heightened capability to withstand voltages as well as heat. So far I've overheated my CPU several times now just to also see if it results in any damage and there has been no signs of anything on the CPU.

Ok, so that $861 build Fuzzy posted should give me max resolution with no lag on flames in 25 mans, but not Ultra settings? playing on 1200x900 resolution is really my priority.

Deleted
    i just bought complete case for 700 euro, gtx 560 card and 3.4ghz quadcore from intel that has turbo on 3.8ghz max on everything inc shadows 60 fps were ever i go even with full orgrimmar!! thats on full hd ress on a 24"

10+ Year Old Account
    Ok, so that $861 build Fuzzy posted should give me max resolution with no lag on flames in 25 mans, but not Ultra settings? playing on 1200x900 resolution is really my priority.
    Wait don't you mean playing at 1900x1200 is your priority? That setup should easily run 25mans smoothly at High/Ultra (minus shadows, remember never max out shadows). Remember that most of us are running with i5 2500K's that are overclocked by atleast 25-30%, which helps a great deal in raids. But a non-overclocked i5 2500 shouldn't be too far behind, it should still be enough to fly at High/Ultra in 25mans.
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2011-07-01 at 09:24 PM.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

Deleted
    Intel Core i7 2600 is my cpu, it runs on 4ghz atm on stock cooling max in wow 43c, along with a asus gtx 560 that i maxed out (65c in wow) this i run wow on everything max, 8x multisampling, 16x texture filtering ultra shadows max on all, on a 24" full hd screen, and was cheep as hell, i never run under 60 fps were ever i go (orgrimmar, 25 man 40 man etc etc)