Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    Eh? There's countless people who live out their entire lives around sounds like those and find it quite peaceful. If pushed long enough, eventually your brain will develop an affinity to ANY sound and drop concentration on it. All sorts of sounds go into your years, but it's completely up to your brain to decide whether it's worth paying attention to or not.
    My dad and his regiment had to do shit like fall asleep on MOVING tanks (had to get whatever sleep you could, whenever you could) which means his brain had canceled out the tank's noise/vibrations.
    Few weeks ago I got a new clock in my room and the ticking would drive me crazy at night, but now I can only hear it if I fully focus my attention onto it...otherwise as far as my brain is concerned, the sound doesn't exist.
    Eh? The counterargument to yours is located within the same post.
    You get used to any annoying sounds as long as they aren't extremely loud (the louder, the harder it is to assimilate), but once you get rid of it, you realize just how damn nice it is without it which simply means you never fully get used to it.
    The situation changes if say, you've been hearing a certain sound since you were born, but it's still not a complete adaptation.

Hearing in this aspect is not any different from other senses. You could get used to having your facial hair scratch your face constantly, but once you shave it off, you'll still feel better.

P.S. Sure, there could be an extremely small amount of people who start ignoring any annoying sounds completely with time, but that's more of an anomaly like that woman that is not able to experience fear.
    Last edited by Creotor; 2011-07-04 at 12:53 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Creotor View Post
    Eh? The counterargument to yours is located within the same post.
    You get used to any annoying sounds as long as they aren't extremely loud (the louder, the harder it is to assimilate), but once you get rid of it, you realize just how damn nice it is without it which simply means you never fully get used to it.
    The situation changes if say, you've been hearing a certain sound since you were born, but it's still not a complete adaptation.

Hearing in this aspect is not any different from other senses. You could get used to having your facial hair scratch your face constantly, but once you shave it off, you'll still feel better.
    You wouldn't feel "better", you would feel strange as if something is missing that wasn't there before. It's not always a better feeling, it's completely up to the person's opinion.
    P.S. Sure, there could be an extremely small amount of people who start ignoring any annoying sounds completely with time, but that's more of an anomaly like that woman that is not able to experience fear.
    You must've been brought up in a dead-quiet neighborhood because here in the city I can get plenty of "peace" despite all the cars, police/firetruck/ambulance sirens, etc going off every hour. For all my trips to quiet neighborhoods I found the quietness creepy and started missing the busy-ness and activity of the city. And there are MILLIONS of people like me. The nice feeling derived from "peace and quiet" are entirely in your mind. Some people find the dull chatter of a classroom painfully loud, while others are happy working around industrial machinery all the time - it's entirely in your mind.
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2011-07-04 at 01:52 AM.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xelper View Post
    Some people just appreciate silence, or if for example your computer is in the same room that you sleep and you leave it on overnight.
    Yeah I have this a lot. Especially if I want to download something. It isn't too loud normally, but if I'm leaving it on at night, chances are I've been on WoW for a good few hours before this, so it's worked itself up a bit.