Interest in class (or at least ret) suddenly died at 81

I must be crazy. I have been leveling a paladin off-and-on for the past few weeks, and I was enjoying all three specs. I'm currently prot for dungeons and ret for solo. Everything was dandy until 81. Now that I have inquisition, I'm suddenly disinterested in continuing. Inquisition is just ANNOYING to maintain. This is post 4.2, too, where the time is 200% longer.

Do you guys skip inquisition when soloing/questing? Right now, it's just a pain to start every fight with some method to HoPo, get inquisition, and fight normally. It just delays everything else. Getting 3 HoPo to have Inq last longer doesn't work out that well when mobs are spread, too. I imagine this is just as annoying in dungeons, where trash is spread apart, too.

I've always thought the retribution rotation was a little clunky, at least while leveling. Too often I was just waiting for my abilities to finish their cooldowns, watching my autoattacks (haha, is it vanilla again?). Inquisition somewhat fixes the "nothing to do" aspect of the rotation, but it simultaneously makes it way more clunky and annoying.

Advice, or just stop being a whiny *****? :P

15+ Year Old Account
    Just stop using it while lvling up.Mobs die easily and fast,no need to spend HoPo on inq.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you were doing fine without it and don't wait to be bothered to maintain it, just don't use it. I leveled Holy at the start of Cata (and kept Inquisition up easily), so it really shouldn't be too much to ask of you to use it. Chain pull, keep moving, etc.

go shockadin = alot more hopo generation= easier time starting up/maintaining inqus...

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't use Inq while outside questing. Much better to use TV instead. I only use it if I have a DP proc and nothing to hit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Corylyn View Post
    I don't use Inq while outside questing. Much better to use TV instead. I only use it if I have a DP proc and nothing to hit.
    This, outside of raids or procs while questing, I never used Inquistion. Once you have your 4pc T11, it becomes a non issue.

10+ Year Old Account
    I didn't bother picking up Inq until 85. It's more intended for longer encounters like bosses.

I honestly will say just level as protection... You can handle more mobs still have 3/3 in crusader for the massive holy light after landing a kill. Might be a little slower, but also provided a better survivability when you oops pull an extra mob or two at that level.

If your determined to stick with ret... Your going to have to get used to their mechanic that may proc or not, sometimes you get 3-4 straight free holy power, and other times you can go almost a whole boss fight building it up manually. But for questing I use the mechanic for an extra TV and not inq.
    Last edited by Qemuel; 2011-07-03 at 11:29 PM.
    Epism - Caelestrasz
    Armory

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    I leveled my pally in WotLK as Ret, and only went Prot to tank stuff. However, when patch 4.0.1 hit, Ret stopped being fun to stay in and I just stayed Prot. Eventually dropped Ret after patch 4.0.3, as it just sucked to play (replaced it with a PvP Prot spec). However, patch 4.1 killed the PvP Prot spec for me, and 4.2 forced me to pick up Ret again as an Off Spec. At 85 and with good gear, Ret isn't so bad. However, if you are not having fun leveling as Ret and have a Prot or Holy spec, then stay with Prot or Holy until you hit 85 before focusing on Ret again. Ret is too much of a glass hammer until you are geared enough to survive being mobbed.

SJ

Thanks for the advice everyone. I gave prot a shot for questing, and it's not that much slower, at least not at my gear level. I am intrigued by the idea of giving holy another chance, but I will have to wait until I build up another int set.

Since posting my original post, I've become more adjusted to Inquisition. I sometimes use it during questing, and sometimes do not. Part of the problem originally is, I used to play a death knight, and I'm used to seeing gigantic obliterates (340% weapon dmg). When I look at crusader strike, I just don't see how it can match up (176% weapon dmg not including Hand of Light), so I see inquisition as the only way to narrow the gap. Ultimately, I'm just disappointed with the damage ret can put out in comparison to frost, but I'm not making any final judgements until both my characters are equally geared (and at equal levels, of course).

Quote Originally Posted by Vanthem View Post
    Once you have your 4pc T11, it becomes a non issue.
    because 10 seconds added to inquisition totally makes keeping it up so much LESS annoying

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Liminal View Post
    because 10 seconds added to inquisition totally makes keeping it up so much LESS annoying
    huh yes...
    Add the fact that it is longer than before, no one should cry about that anymore :/

In case anyone forgot, seals used to last 30 seconds and needed to be re-applied after judgement was used. That was too annoying, so they let seals last through as many judgements as you want, but still needed to be re-applied every 30 seconds. That was too annoying, so it was changed to 2 minutes, which was eventually changed to 30 minutes. Point is, having to maintain inquisition every 30-40 seconds (whatever is, for whatever tier you're in), it's still as annoying as it was to re-apply judgement every 30 seconds.

I feel the same way about slice and dice, which is the reason why my rogue is stuck at 80. Only saving grace for slice and dice is the deadly momentum talent, which I think ret could really benefit from. Perhaps the crusade talent should adopt the functionality.

Crusade is already overloaded. Applying Inq should be an ability similar to DS. Shares a CD, deals lower damage than CS, but gives you inq (and 1 HP). Suddenly, we have a dps increase thanks to more TV's, a slightly more engaging rotation (but not much). Or, even more of a rotation change up, its a 15 second CD that deals some damage, grants no HP, but causes our next damaging ability to deal 50% additional damage as holy damage (though, that would make our burst even more powerful, something we REALLY don't need). There are a lot of things that could make inq a more engaging and fun mechanic. But, with the track record of blizz on doing anything like that... the chances are zilch.
    It's not just me, it's ALL rets. Join the ret MS club, get bitches, get money, get nerfed.
    It takes idiots to do cool things. That's why they're cool.

Well I appreciate that you are bold enough to have an opinion.

The only way Blizzard knows, is if you stop playing paladin, and/or cancel subscription.

Take a stand.

Well I appreciate that you are bold enough to have an opinion.

The only way Blizzard knows, is if you stop playing paladin, and/or cancel subscription.

Take a stand.
    Or we could post it on the official forums... oh wait. It's been done, a lot. Palys have a rough lvling experience. We have few skills, so our damage comes from auto attacks. With no auto-self heals or any efficient non- autos, we also take a lot of damage. This isn't unique though, there are other specs/classes that also have a pretty rough lvling experience, but none, so far as I can tell, have the problem because they have so few skills.
    It's not just me, it's ALL rets. Join the ret MS club, get bitches, get money, get nerfed.

Melee mechanics just suck ass - if you think Inquisition sucks, try playing a feral cat for dps...

And it's not because it's *hard* dps - it's because they can't target switch worth crap.

On the plus side, at least Ret doesn't have to worry about combo points on target.

And at least S&D can be talented so it doesn't have to be reapplied, unlike the feral druid equivalent.

It's a trade off, the ferals rotation is tougher, but 100 times for fluid. And combo points on target are traded off for hte ability to get from target to target. Our nice little 115% walking speed is a little...slow. Though, I do have to agree with melee mechanics sucking. Though, there are some rather silly ranged mechanics as well (shadow orbs anyone?)

off topic: HAPPY 4TH OF JULY! AMERICA, BOO YAH. WOO WOO WOO, NUMBER 1, NUMBER 1

I only really use inquisition on extended fights, Can't remember what TV hits for at 81 but yeah the mob will be long dead before you make up the missing TV damage with inquisition