Thread: Mac and WoW

Mac and WoW

So i just got an used macbook pro (from 2008 ) the 2.33GHz intel core 2 duo with 2gb ram and i would like to install Wow on it.
    So i got two questions: First, how well will this run WoW? At what settings could i get above 30fps? And second, i used windows since a child, and i when i wanted to install WoW i would just put the whole folder on my hard drive and copy to another laptop, easier than install every cd. Anyway i could do this with my mac?
    Cheers

Edit: If this is in the wrong section, please any mod move it
    Everytime you whine, blizzard lags a server.

1. how hard is it for you to test it yourself since you already got the imac?
    you should also list the GPU

Wrong section. No way of knowing how the game will perform when you don't list your gpu. Also would help to know the series number on the chip, ghz doesn't mean much anymore.

Deleted
    I'm also playing on a MacBook Pro, slightly better than yours since it's a bit more recent, but I have to keep every setting at the lowest, or close to, and even then it happens that I get very low fps (especially in very crowded places, like Stormwind at peak hours, or Molten Front).
    What you said to install WoW can also be done on Macintosh, I think, though you can't copy your Windows version of the folder and paste it on your MacBook: you should copy a Mac version to paste it on a Mac. If you can't access a Mac version, I guess the installation disc is your only choice.

You have to install Windows in order to run WoW Windows client on a Mac. As for performance, turn everything to lowest setting and pray for the best. Really. I have a Mac and I got used to this misery. It's not for everyone.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kharyll View Post
    You have to install Windows in order to run WoW Windows client on a Mac.
    There is Mac client and it isn't inferior to windows client

Don't install from a windows cd. Download it from battle.net and choose Mac as your system. I run as at a consistent 30 fps on my iMac

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by larix View Post
    There is Mac client and it isn't inferior to windows client

WoW's implementation of OpenGL is quite inferior to DirectX, thus... Mac's are inferior.
    Intel Core i7 5820K @ 4.2GHz | Asus X99 Deluxe Motherboard | 16GB Crucial DDR4 2133 | MSI GTX 980 4G GAMING | Corsair HX750 Gold | 500GB Samsung 840 EVO

You'll be fine. Number one thing: see if it can handle more ram. If it can, max it. RAM is the number one determinate of speed on a Mac.

Also, one thing to note: a lot of used laptops have repalcement drives. These replacement hard drives are often slower 5400 RPM drives and they can seriously hurt a disk-intensive game like WoW. If it is, you might consider an upgrade or, if you're feeling a little saucy - put WoW in an External Firewire Hard Drive. It can be a huge boost to performance.
    Wolfie Pandaren Shaman - Pet Collection - Mount Collection
    Pinfire Dwarf Hunter - SaintJoan Draenei Paladin - Sadiefalk Human Rogue - Hamartanein Dwarf Warlock
    Lotusdream Pandaren Monk - Aponyia Tauren Shaman

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by plazsma View Post
    Don't install from a windows cd. Download it from battle.net and choose Mac as your system. I run as at a consistent 30 fps on my iMac
    the dvd has both OSX and Windows client on it.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Quote Originally Posted by Saithes View Post
    WoW's implementation of OpenGL is quite inferior to DirectX, thus... Mac's are inferior.
    I use both frequently. It is a tiny bit slower on the same hardware, but functionally equivalent. And actually, Mac WoW software has some nice features - built in iTunes controls, built in FRAPS that the Windows client does not have.

Also, one nice thing is apparently, from people testing WoW out with the new version of MOSX, Lion, that is due out this month, there's anywhere from a 20-50% FPS boost on the same hardware due to improved graphics drivers and finally moving some of the important video options out of Carbon (the old pre-MOSX programing hack so programs wouldn't have to be completely rewritten) and into Cocoa (the new, preferred one).
    Pinfire Dwarf Hunter - SaintJoan Draenei Paladin - Sadiefalk Human Rogue - Hamartanein Dwarf Warlock

Just installed runs on a very smooth 60 fps outside and about 30 in crowded places. Very good for a 2008 machine.
    Got some doubts tho, how do i get addons now? Does WoWmatrix works?
    Everytime you whine, blizzard lags a server.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seys* View Post
    Just installed runs on a very smooth 60 fps outside and about 30 in crowded places. Very good for a 2008 machine.
    All addons are compatible with OSX WoW
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

15+ Year Old Account
    just download the installer and let it do it's thing. don't bother installing with the cd's as you'll have to download the latest patch anyways
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

Quote Originally Posted by Seys* View Post
    sorry if this is a necro, just wanted to say: yes, WowMatrix has a great MAc version, and there's also mac versions of MMO-Minion from WoWInterface and Curse Client - I use all 3.

Deleted
    Get more RAM, you Mac should support up to 4GB, potentially 8GB. It'll make a difference and is a easy and cheap upgrade.

You should limit your FPS to 30 and put textures on Good, Rest on Fair. No Sun-What-ever it's name. That way you can play reasonably well in nearly all situations.