Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Question Help chosing computer components

Hello I am thinking of buying a new computer and need some advice.

Here is what I've been considering.

Powersupply: Chieftec Nitro Series BPS-650C 650W PSU ATX 12V V2.3, 80 Plus Bronze, Modular, 2x 6+2pin PCIe, 6x SATA, 140mm fan

Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-2500K Processor Socket-LGA1155, Quad Core, 3.3Ghz, 6MB, 95W, Boxed w/fan

Motherboard: MSI P67A-GD65 B3, Socket-1155 ATX, P67, DDR3, 2xPCIe(2.0)x16, SLI/CFX, SATA 6Gb/s, USB3.0, eSATA, FW, THX, EFI

DDR3 Memory: Corsair Vengeance™ DDR3 1600MHz 4GB CL9 4GB XMS3 module, CL9-9-9-24, 1.5V, Vengeance Heatspreader, 240 pin

Video Card/Graphics Card: XFX Radeon HD 6950 2GB GDDR5 "Dual Fan" PCI-Express 2.1, 2xDVI, HDMI, 2xmini-DisplayPort, 800MHz

SSD Hard Drive: Corsair SSD Force Series™ F60A, 60GB SATA2, 2,5", 285MB/275MB/s read/write, incl 2,5" to 3,5" bracket

Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar® Blue 1TB SATA 6Gb/s (SATA 3.0), 32MB, 7200RPM

Screen: BenQ 24" LCD G2420HD 1920x1080, 40000:1, 2ms, VGA/DVI/HDMI

Wireless Network - USB: D-Link DWA-140 Wireless N USB adapter, 802.11n (draft 2.0)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit English

I have very limited knowledge and experience with computer parts so any advice would be appreciated.
    The price for this computer is:

11849 NOK

2,215 USD

1,525 EUR

The computer will be used mainly for gaming and I wish it to be able to run all the current games on high/ultra video settings.

Thanks in advance

10+ Year Old Account
    That seems wildly expensive for those parts.
    whoops, motherboard error, sec.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzykins View Post
    That seems wildly expensive for those parts.

whoops, motherboard error, sec.
    The prices seem fine. Looking at his choice for a GPU I assume it's komplett.no (it's on sale this week there). ALso, your setup is closer to 13.5k NOK instead of the 11.8k that the OP's setup is, whilst lacking an SSD system drive.

Keep in mind that Norway != the UK.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by iglocska View Post
    The prices seem fine. Looking at his choice for a GPU I assume it's komplett.no (it's on sale this week there). ALso, your setup is closer to 13.5k NOK instead of the 11.8k that the OP's setup is, whilst lacking an SSD system drive.

Keep in mind that Norway != the UK.
    SSD's are worthless and he can get a way better system with the price he saves. Also, damn all these price conversions.

Question

Thanks for the advice so far and yes it's from komplett.no.

The price is one factor, but so is the performance. Would the spec of this computer be able to run the current games on high/ultra video settings?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cenna View Post
    Thanks for the advice so far and yes it's from komplett.no.

The price is one factor, but so is the performance. Would the spec of this computer be able to run the current games on high/ultra video settings?
    Yes, if you plan on overclocking it, you better invest in a cooler too.

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    SSD's are worthless and he can get a way better system with the price he saves. Also, damn all these price conversions.
    Have my babies.
    red panda red panda red panda!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Asera View Post
    Have my babies.
    O,.,o only if we can name one Frank.

EDIT: I did a few seriously bad statements. Sorry! :O
    Last edited by Drunkenvalley; 2011-07-06 at 09:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    @OP: You're wasting money. No, to the other Norwegian dude, there is no "but prices in Norway are different" -- the build is simply more expensive than it needs be.
    EDIT: Mostly the SSD is meaningless and the other HDD will cockblock you. And the graphics card is silly imo. I'll nitpick over things.

---------- Post added 2011-07-04 at 06:24 PM ----------

http://www.komplett.no/k/shoplist.as...4-4A2E3A9EB34D

I chose the RAM because it's slightly smaller than the Corsair Vengeance, IIRC. The CPU cooler is massive, so you really want space for that.
    Not sure on the cabinet's ability to fit it, but didn't see anything off off the bat.

Oops, forgot... the wireless card.
    I don't see how a 560Ti, especially one clocked at 880 stock, is any better than a 6950 2GB, especially at the same price. Also, an SSD is not meaningless at all and the other HDD will not cockblock you. Use the SSD as a system disc and the HDD as a storage, it will improve the general responsiveness of your system by a great deal. If you mean it's useless for WoW, then I agree, but then again half of the hardware in that list is a total overkill for WoW so I assume (and hope) that he'll be using that PC for other things too.

10+ Year Old Account
    SSD's are worthless
    Just curious Fuzz, have you ever owned an SSD?

@OP, I don't know about the prices but the parts/configuration check out good. I not 100% happy with that PSU though, since I can't find any reviews on it and it's not even listed on Newegg. See if you can find a Corsair/Seasonic equivalent, or atleast an Antec.
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2011-07-04 at 09:39 PM.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    Just curious Fuzz, have you ever owned an SSD?

@OP, I don't know about the prices but the parts/configuration check out good. I not 100% happy with that PSU though, since I can't find any reviews on it and it's not even listed on Newegg. See if you can find a Corsair/Seasonic equivalent, or atleast an Antec.
    Several. I don't restart my computer frequently, and my hard drive is plenty fast enough to load everything I need to when I need to. So I couldn't rationalize keeping them, and returned them.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm a very patient person when it comes to loading, due to the fact that I experienced a lot of computer/console gaming when loading took ages. (And PSP loading, dear god don't get me started.) So it doesn't bother me as much. I can chill out for a few extra seconds and chat on vent, or look at my TV, or take a bite of food, or straighten my desk out, or check my facebook, etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmm. Well you should stick an "IMO.." or "For me..." or "In my case..." after a comment like "SSD's are worthless". A new, easily-persuaded PC builder will probably read your post and take it word for word (with your ever-inflating post count and all).....and it could turn out an SSD is exactly what they need, due to rebooting his/her PC often and being impatient with loading.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    Hmm. Well you should stick an "IMO.." or "For me..." or "In my case..." after a comment like "SSD's are worthless". A new, easily-persuaded PC builder will probably read your post and take it word for word (with your ever-inflating post count and all).....and it could turn out an SSD is exactly what they need, due to rebooting his/her PC often and being impatient with loading.
    Sorry.
    (Is my post count that intimidating?)
    SSD's are worthless, in my opinion, for the above statements.

The screen linked in the original post is awful.
    Also, SSDs is no where near worthless. They're worth their weight in gold. Thinking of it, and how light SSDs are, they are.

Anyway, if an SSD was paying for <5sec loadingtimes in WoW, it wouldn't be worth it.
    But losing 30-40sec loadingtime in wow everytime, shorter bootup-time everytime (shut off your computer more often!), no load on applications, crisper responsetime.

I will never not have an SSD in any kind of computer that I will have for my own personal use.
    This laptop sports an Intel 320-series SSD, 160GB.
    &nbsp;

15+ Year Old Account
    But losing 30-40sec loadingtime in wow everytime, shorter bootup-time everytime (shut off your computer more often!), no load on applications, crisper responsetime.
    My SSD did not do any of this when it was used as a boot drive. -_-

30-40 second loading time difference? What were you running WoW off of, a Cav Green EARS short stroked on the wrong side? D:

shut off your computer more often!
    No!

Quote Originally Posted by Asera View Post
    My SSD did not do any of this when it was used as a boot drive. -_-

30-40 second loading time difference? What were you running WoW off of, a Cav Green EARS short stroked on the wrong side? D:

No!
    Actually, a WDScorpio black! Minute-plus loadingscreens, yus! NN ALL!
    &nbsp;

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisgoat View Post
    Actually, a WDScorpio black! Minute-plus loadingscreens, yus! NN ALL!
    WoW loading on my SSD at home is like... 15 seconds. Versus 20-25 on my Cav blue at work...

/glare

10+ Year Old Account
    Depends entirely on the number of addons you have and the number of players in your field of view. I'm gonna copy WoW over to my SSD today (couldn't be bothered so far) and compare the load times to a fresh start from my Spinpoint. I run about ~15 addons and my Spinpoint has been fairly quick to load WoW so far, under 30 seconds on a fresh load in SW AH. Wonder what the SSD will get?[COLOR="red"]
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2011-07-05 at 04:54 AM.