10+ Year Old Account

Intel Core i5 + Mobo

So I am considering buying a an Intel Core i5, upgrading from a crappy AMD one, meaning I will need a mother board aswell.

My first question is what is the difference between an i5 2500k and the other variants. http://www.overclockers.co.uk/productlist.php?groupid=701&catid=6&subid=1275

My second question would be to which mobo I should get, I have heard great things about the Asus P8P67 but I am unsure.

Deleted
    The i5 2500k is an unlocked chip, which basically means it's capable of overclocking.
    You can overclock some of the other chips, but only ever so slightly.

The Asus P67 board is good, but I prefer MSI P67A-GD53, others will say the Asus board is better, but it comes down to what you will use on the motherboard at the end of the day.

Also I'd buy from Scan.co.uk over OCuk, it's normally cheaper. Also if your a member of bit tech with 20+ posts you get free delivery.

Scan.co.uk I5 2500k is over £10 cheaper.
    Last edited by mmoc233041c6ce; 2011-07-04 at 07:47 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyre Fierceshot View Post
    The i5 2500k is an unlocked chip, which basically means it's capable of overclocking.
    You can overclock some of the other chips, but only ever so slightly.

The Asus P67 board is good, but I prefer MSI P67A-GD53, others will say the Asus board is better, but it comes down to what you will use on the motherboard at the end of the day.

Also I'd buy from Scan.co.uk over OCuk, it's normally cheaper. Also if your a member of bit tech with 20+ posts you get free delivery.

Scan.co.uk I5 2500k is over £10 cheaper.
    Thanks. The reason i buy from Overclockers is because It's about a 10-20 min drive from where i live so it negates the delivery costs that way. What is better about the MSI board over the Asus and vice versa.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackspur View Post
    Thanks. The reason i buy from Overclockers is because It's about a 10-20 min drive from where i live so it negates the delivery costs that way. What is better about the MSI board over the Asus and vice versa.
    From what I see on Overclockers specs of both boards the Asus board has more USB 2 slots, more Sata slots. They are both the same price on Overclockers, so it's just down to personal choice for you there.

Asus board
    MSI board

Deleted
    I like your Sig, I use to raid on Aszune a long time ago.

Back on point, if you have no interest in running multiple GPU setups, are considering overclocking but are new to it and aren't to fussed about loads of USB 3.0 and Sata 6GB/s ports then a budget Z68 board will suit your needs fine and it gives added features and advantages not available to the P67 at not extra cost in some cases.

Here are some examples

Asus Z68 V Dual GPU capable but cheaper than the Pro version. Low/Midrange

Asrock Z68 Pro 3 The board I currently use. Great for moderate overclocks and the price being the most attractive.

Gigabyte UD3H Decent budget board, more midrange and similar to the Asus.

Features you get with the Z68

SSD Caching - Combine a small capacity SSD and improve the performance of your HDD

Quicsync - Faster Transcoding

iGPU unlocked - In short a great backup just for a situation when your discrete GFX card goes on the skits

Virtual Vsync- Not available yet, but improves the performance of Vsync, in shot no screen tearing but high frame rates. Provided you have a capable GFX card ofcourse.
    Last edited by mmoc7f933b7749; 2011-07-04 at 09:21 PM.

further on from the last post on Z68 boards, same price range as the asus P8P67 is the..

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MB-051-AK

r
    ead some really good things about it and will be in my new build.

p.s. where abouts are you from? i live about 20 mins away from there aswell