"Windows cannot connect to " router

Hello,
    I recently upgraded security on my wireless D-Link router from WEP to WPA/WPA2 (the wireless network settings didn't say which). However, when I then tried to connect with my Windows 7 laptop, I got an error message: Windows cannot connect to Helen (my router's SSID). I have a strong connection.
    The first thing I tried was the troubleshooting Windows provides, but of course that did nothing. It either said unknown error, or asked me to restart modem and router which I have done many times.
    The second thing I tried was to connect it via ethernet cable to reduce the security again, but it refused to connect again with the same problem.
    Now I don't know what to do. I've got a LAN connection to the modem (not the router!) at the moment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Abandon View Post
    I think this should win some kind of award. I mean, we must now have had one post about literally EVERY SINGLE FEATURE in the ENTIRE GAME which "ruined wow".

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    Hard reset the gateway device and try the setting again.
    red panda red panda red panda!

I tried unplugging both router and modem for 10 seconds and plugging them back in to no avail. The exact error message is "Windows was unable to connect to Helen".
    Also I noticed it makes no difference whether or not the router is actually connected to the modem; it displays the same error message.
    I think this should win some kind of award. I mean, we must now have had one post about literally EVERY SINGLE FEATURE in the ENTIRE GAME which "ruined wow".

Is your PC selected to automaticly recive an IP adress from the router?

See if this does any help--
    Wireless Configuration
    WINDOWS
    * Click Start

* Click Control Panel

* Select Network and Internet Connections

* The Network and Internet Connections window will appear:
    Select the Network Connections icon

* The Network Connections window will appear:
    Double click on Local Area Connection

* The Local Area Connection window will appear:
    Select the General tab and click, or highlight Internet Protocol and press Properties

* The TCP/IP Properties window will appear:

* Make sure that both the Obtain an IP Address Automatically and Obtain DNS Server Address Automatically are selected, or checked.
    ~A guide after a quick google search!

Edit: Oh right you had windows 7 and that was for XP, but you might understand what I mean so you can find it yourself in Windows 7 else just reply and I can guide you
    Retired WoW player - Active as a casual in Vanilla, raider in 3.0 and 3.1 and casual from 3.2 and forward!

Yes, I've found many many MANY sources for XP as it apparently had interesting wireless bugs.
    When I open Local Area Connection, there is no internet protocol:

I might note I had similar issues with a different router earlier, which was fixed by changing the SSID. However at the moment I have no access to the wireless router.

I think you will find the right location when you hit Properties in that window
    Retired WoW player - Active as a casual in Vanilla, raider in 3.0 and 3.1 and casual from 3.2 and forward!

Yes, they are both set.

I also tried updating drivers, but online there are none for my OS, and Device Manager said they are up to date.

Edit: After Google diving a bit more, I finally found a source which advised me to delete the profile and reconnect. This has solved the issue.
    Last edited by Dalinth; 2011-07-05 at 03:43 AM.