WoW vs other MMORPG's with graphics (PLEASE GET ME CLEAR ON THIS)

Ok this is what kind of annoys me, I can play WoW on all low settings and it looks great and runs great. BUT, then i go and play a different MMORPG and even on all the way low settings and it still lags a lot. Example RoM, I can play it on all low settings and it plays fine, BUT IT LOOKS SO HORRIBLE!!! Some one please just give me a reason why. I know but i dont know the reason why maybe the files, how much its been worked on compared to other games, I dont know. SO please help me out here because it drives me insane knowing that i cant play a different MMORPG and being happy to take a brake from WoW but, i only have the option to run back to WoW because of how amizing it is with computers that arent meant for gaming so my eyes dont hurt from the lameness of other MMORPG graphics and laginess

I'm guessing the reason you prefer WoW's graphics to other MMORPG's is because most other games out there are going for realism while WoW's graphics are "cartoonish". It doesnt mean they're bad, it's just a different artstyle then other games are using. I'm somewhere in the middle on that myself. One of the things I disliked about Age of Conan when I tried it was that it was just too realistic looking for me. Rift on the other hand is a little closer to WoW's graphic style but still going for a pretty realistic look. I'd say the new Star Wars and TERA are probably the only games coming out that will really have a graphic style similar to WoW.

Deleted
    I play on a quite old computer, and blizzard games run fine on it. But as soon as I try something else it's close to unplayable. I recently bought Dawn of War II on steam, which is a few years old now (not the expansions), and my computer couldn't run it, but it runs Starcraft 2 just fine... nice waste of money there. Quite weird because I played a cracked version of Dawn of War II to try the game which was playable.
    Think blizzard do make their games to have a lower minimum requirement, while newer games have a lot higher standards.

It's quite sad when someone asks why I still play wow and my reply is "Because my computer can't handle any other game".

Try Guild Wars.

Better graphics than WoW, and runs just fine on way inferior hardware.

Strangely, no matter what I play, WoW's always seem the best to me(talking about current mmo not games like Guild Wars 2 or ArcheAge) . That may be because I have played it a long time and don't like differences. Guild Wars is the best I've played, next to wow. Plus, I can play it on the highest settings.

Are you talking about graphics or art style? Because in no way shape or form does WoW have better graphics than most current mmos. What it does have, is great aesthetics.

I agree with Doozer, a lot of WoW is old-school when it comes to how they do their graphics, but they put it together very nicely. You can actually tell the difference between all the maps, and it helps that what similar-looking maps they DO have, are not side by side.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ZyngaFail View Post
    Try Guild Wars.

Better graphics than WoW, and runs just fine on way inferior hardware.
    I noticed this too. When I used to play WoW I would have it set on the highest settings, same for GuildWars. I noticed though I got much better performance with GuildWars. I could have everything set to the highest and never experience even the slightest drop in frame rates. I had a lap top at the time I used for some gaming, and WoW was o.k. but I could run guildwars again on high settings with no real drop in frame rate. GuildWars is a beautiful game, but it was designed to run much more efficiently (just my opinion)

The gameplay from gw2 so far looks incredible, and that's with them running it on a low end card.

Star Wars The Old Republic though is interesting. The art style is pretty cool, but they have some really good graphic improvements you can use if your card can handle it. Games like RIFT didn't really go in that direction. Their minimum requirements are too high for some people. I think they would have been successful if they would have done something similar to what SWTOR,GW2, or even WoW(to a degree) are doing.
    Last edited by lunaspike; 2011-07-06 at 03:26 AM.

Deleted
    Artstyle > Graphics

but that's not what you asked, any way, get more ram on your PC, a better video card or perhaps even a whole new rig if you want to play other games, I run a 3 year old system and play WoW on max settings (except for shadows) lag free, so I don't know how old your system is...?
    Last edited by mmocf1858d9362; 2011-07-06 at 03:30 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Juubo View Post
    I play on a quite old computer, and blizzard games run fine on it. But as soon as I try something else it's close to unplayable. I recently bought Dawn of War II on steam, which is a few years old now (not the expansions), and my computer couldn't run it, but it runs Starcraft 2 just fine... nice waste of money there. Quite weird because I played a cracked version of Dawn of War II to try the game which was playable.
    Think blizzard do make their games to have a lower minimum requirement, while newer games have a lot higher standards.

It's quite sad when someone asks why I still play wow and my reply is "Because my computer can't handle any other game".
    yeah blizzard has pretty low standards for everything they make now days.
    Unfortunately, until the people at Blizzard take time to quit explaining why they are right and anyone who disagrees is wrong, they are not going to even hear everyone speaking out desperately trying to warn them the ship is sinking.
    the problems driving players from WoW aren't content or the age of the game, the problem is how the game experience and design philosophy are being undermined by Blizzard's hubris and greed.