Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Lightbulb What are some Holy Paladin MUST HAVE addons? (PvE & PvP)

Hey everyone,

Long time lurker, first time poster here.

For year i have been using almost no mods. Of course i use the typical stuff like DBM and Omen, but i wanted to see what holy paladin specific addons you guys use. Mainly things that will help us with procs, cooldowns, and anything else holy paladin specific. I feel like using the bare minimum when it comes to addons has made me a better player in general, but i also have a feeling that i could be holding myself back in some areas where i just cant focus on certain things during a boss fight. Any and all input is greatly appreciated.

only paladin addon i use is pallhp it lets use move your holy power bar and shows the duration of procs and cds below it.

A healing addon Like grid + Clique

Healbot

or even Vuhdo are Essential in my book at playing a healer class.

I use healbot and I Virtually have every spell with 2 or 3 Modifiers. It makes fights like Alyrazor a breeze.

There is nothing you MUST HAVE. As long as you have a brain you'll be fine (PvE-wise).

I prefer Grid to WoW raid frames so I use Grid, and I use Beacon tracker to track my beacon and jotp.

For cooldowns, I use the pink thing inside my head.

For PvP there are a lot of addons you could use to make you a better player, like Gladius and a Interrupt tracking mod to help you with fake casting.

Vuhdo and Power auras classic. And for PvP I like to use tidy plates with icicle.
    Last edited by Elsá; 2011-07-05 at 05:19 AM.

Thank you guys for all the input. I will be checking most of these out when i get home in the morning. I use mouse-over key binds for my heals and that does me just fine. I am open to most addons but healbot is just taking it too far for me. I know a few people who absolutely rely on it for all their healing. They can't even do a simple BH without proper group setups, tanks marked, and you wont even see them online if the addon becomes out of date or non working due to patches, until the addon is updated.But from the sounds of these other addons, i think i will definitely be using some of them.

Another addon i used in the past is decursive. Any of you use decursive or something similar?

Decursive is and always has been brilliant. felt very naked early in 4.2 without it being updated

Healbot = garbage?? I rather think it's good, maybe not the best but garbage? You hit the ball totaly wrong there buddee, you must be that kind of guy who thinks he gets +1 because he reminds the position of his 10buttons.
    It's like we are all Red Jelly Beans in a Jar full of various colors. Every now and then they reach in and get a Red Jelly Bean.
    We know we are in there, we can see the color, we just can't do anything to speed up our being taken out of the jar -- Jelly Beans can't speak.

I dont know if its the case in cataclysm but

PALLYPOWER PLEASE

PallyPower lost it's use in Cataclysm.

The best addon IMHO to keep track of procs and cooldowns is the allmighty PowerAuras. Probably the most useful and versatile addon ever.
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

10+ Year Old Account
    Decursive is and always has been brilliant. felt very naked early in 4.2 without it being updated
    Is it finally updated? I can dispel without it but it's really nice to hear that bong sound to know when somone has picked somthing up.

As to OPs question, I pefer Grid personally but alot like Vuhdo, not super sure what healbot is like but it most likely falls in between the two. The differences between grid and vuhdo are pretty simple. Grid comes very basic and you get what need as plugins of sorts. Vuhdo comes with pretty much everything and you have to fight thru dozens of menus to get stuff turned off.

I use blizzard raidframes and beacon of light tracker on my holy pally, am i doing it wrong D:

Quote Originally Posted by konaman View Post
    only paladin addon i use is pallhp it lets use move your holy power bar and shows the duration of procs and cds below it.
    I can't seem to find this one. Is the name correct or where might i find it?

You should give Raven a try, if you haven't. It tracks your buffs, debuffs, target debuffs, spell/item cooldowns, etc. Very highly configurable both functionally and visually.

Imo unit frames comes down to personal preference - I myself like having a full-fledged UF (PitBull) over Grid, but some people prefer compact, minimalist style of Grid (less mouse movement in return for reduced information up-front). As long as you can see what buff/debuff your group has, the rest is up to you.

BLESSED-from curse is actually pretty sexy for hpallys and any pally. You really just gotta see it and youll come to apreciate it especially in pvp were timers on ur bops and freedoms are shown clearly and clutter free. That plus any holly power moving addon. Rest are generic like grid + mouse over macros. Dbm so u can be informed for timers like when to hand of sac ur tank to mitigate tank dmg, aura mastery a incoming aoe etc. Behind any good healer is a great sence of timing in any specific boss fight as to preemptive healing. Happy healing.

Edit; on phone typing this sorry for errors.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aedail View Post
    I think I'm close to understanding this thread. . ./places tinfoil hat squarely on head. . .Ah, yes. I see now. . . /tinfoil hat off, approaching reality once more

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Elsá View Post
    Vuhdo and Power auras classic. And for PvP I like to use tidy plates with icicle.
    This both Vudho (or something similar) and Power auras are essential. With Power auras you can track Holy shock cd, daybreak duration, holy power stacks and surge of light proc+duration. Keep those things close to your raidwindow.

I LOVE Power Auras, I normally just set it for audible alerts on my holy shock and judgement cd's though. Don't like all the clutter of the visuals. Also nice for tanking as it lets you know when your defensive cd's are up. I still use Healbot, mainly because it's what I'm used to and it's hard to teach an old dwarf new tricks. Side note, power aura's works well with any specc and class when used right, it's all I use for my rogue.

Quote Originally Posted by Xebu View Post
    PallyPower lost it's use in Cataclysm.

The best addon IMHO to keep track of procs and cooldowns is the allmighty PowerAuras. Probably the most useful and versatile addon ever.
    PallyPower hasn't completely lost it's use in Cata... For sure it's no longer the 'MUST HAVE' add-on that it once was however it does a few things that I still find useful. It still lets me easily select between my assigned auras/seals/blessings and will let me know if it's not applied. No Paladin that has any experience in PvE or PvP should ever need an add-on to remind them to do these basic tasks but in cases where you are buffing up (in PvP or PvE) it does keep track of the number of raid/party members who still doesn't have you're selected buff applied. This can be particularly useful in cases where someone gets a battle rez. It's easy to get what some of us call 'tunnel vision' and not notice that you need to rebuff that person that just got a battle rez.

If I had to point out the 'New' must have add-on it would be Power Auras. To be an effective healer you need to know a few things like when your Holy Shock comes off of cooldown, when you can Judge again, when you have a (or 3) stack of Holy Power (depending on your situation) and more. This video was posted on here once before and it's been an invaluable tool to show others how to configure Power Auras.

I would say you will want to invest some time in finding some mouse over macros; Some sort of add-on like xPerl, Grid, vudu, etc to help track a few things like who has aggro, debuffs, cleansable (is that a word?) debuffs, etc., I personally like having a spell timer add-on like ClassTimer but it's not for everyone. For sure some sort of Boss Mod like DBM and an add-on to track your beacon.

I think the only other interesting addon's that I run are a threat meter so I can (if need) Salv someone if they cant' keep it in their pants as well as recount to help review overall performance problems.

Hope this helps,
    Ken

There is another existing thread on the subject here http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...a-holy-paladin
    Probably not all addons mentioned there are updated for 4.2 though

Feel free to PM me about any question you might have regarding LoL.
    Holy paladin