Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fojos View Post
    That's why you put your OS on a SSD (with your most played games) and get a regular for storing. People here who claim that 7200 hard drives can be anywhere as fast don't really know what they're talking about.
    I did not claim they're anywhere as fast, nor did anyone else. I simply imply I do not need the speed since current drives are happy to keep up with SSD's, it's not like there are minutes of difference between loading.

Quote Originally Posted by Asera View Post

. . .

First of all, you completely missed the point.

Second of all.... nevermind. :P
    1st: I did't miss your point

2nd: If u had a point you'd make it again or quote yourself to prove your point, yet instead you decided to try some cheap line to save face

3rd: Your point is that you don't think SSD is worth the money vs other potential upgrades on a system which can be right and can be wrong.
    i.e on my system back when I got my SSD my system was top notch, my bottleneck was my HD being too slow so I wanted the best HD around to maximize my system, and what did I get? not a HDD cause they are not the best, but a SSD, which to me was well worth the money.

In many other cases my example will be true that a SSD is worth it if your looking for the best and the rest of the system you have is in no need of a upgrade and not just what is "fine" like a HDD. And on the flip side, the majority of ppl will have no need for a SSD or desire for one as for daily basis stuff like readin the newspaper,paying bills etc there is no need for a SSD, for gamers there is a different story tho. Now the point is saying a SSD is not worth the money over getting some HDD and another different hardware upgrade is not a fact but has a different outcome from case to case based on what ppl want to use their system for and how their system already look. If ppl are ok with 2nd best or worse then get a HDD, you'll be fine. If you want the best, you get a SSD, and that is not an opinion but a fact.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Faladrath View Post
    1st: I did't miss your point
    Actually, you did. You were presented with an either/or scenario to combat the "SSD is the single largest upgrade" myth. You dodged it by taking both upgrades in your answer. So either you missed the point or intentionally dodged it.

2nd: If u had a point you'd make it again or quote yourself to prove your point, yet instead you decided to try some cheap line to save face
    You either didn't read it or ignored it the first time. Why waste the keystrokes?

3rd: Your point is that you don't think SSD is worth the money vs other potential upgrades on a system which can be right and can be wrong.
    Actually, I believe the point was that on load (ie. the most I/O intensive portion of WoW), an entire 23 seconds was saved. For an average user that doesn't have a few hundred dollars to throw around on a few gigs of storage, that extremely minor time savings doesn't add up to being worth the cash. Regardless of whether money is spent elsewhere in the system, an SSD is not a viable/useful choice for the bulk of people playing WoW.

If you have a top of the line system and the extra money to spend on minute improvements, then go for it. The biggest thing most regulars of the forum don't want is for people to see a thread like this, think to themselves "SSD will fix all my problems", and then waste $200 only to find their Athlon II still can't keep up.

Quote Originally Posted by Cilraaz View Post
    Actually, you did. You were presented with an either/or scenario to combat the "SSD is the single largest upgrade" myth. You dodged it by taking both upgrades in your answer. So either you missed the point or intentionally dodged it.
    Actually I made my reply in that way to show that the clue about SSD is that your not on some budget for either or scenario that he tried to twist this to be about. SSD is as said by other a luxury item to your system when no other upgrade is necessary and then and only then to many like myself, is it well worth the money. People like yourself who cant afford one or think it's too much to pay for one will ofc self justify their own HD to be more then enough and getting a SSD is a waste of money and settle for 2nd best, and that's fine too, just like a HDD.

You either didn't read it or ignored it the first time. Why waste the keystrokes?
    Would be less keystrokes to quote himself then the entirety of the post he made but sure

And well your last paragraph your just saying what my post said with a bit more bitterness and more self justification except ofc the fact you think the OP's intention was to create some sort of "SSD will fix all my problems" mentality cause of this thread which is just baffling but everyone are entitled to their own opinions no matter how far from the intentions of the OP it is*shrug*

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    People like yourself who cant afford one or think it's too much to pay for one will ofc self justify their own HD to be more then enough and getting a SSD is a waste of money and settle for 2nd best, and that's fine too, just like a HDD.
    I run WoW off an OCZ Vertex II at home, and I previously used it as a boot drive for 4 months, and I still can't justify the cost of an SSD versus a standard high performance HDD.
    red panda red panda red panda!

I run WoW off an OCZ Vertex II at home, and I previously used it as a boot drive for 4 months, and I still can't justify the cost of an SSD versus a standard high performance HDD.
    Last I checked a luxury item cannot be justified, it's something you want to have the best even if it's not needed cause in the case of a SSD all you save is from 20sec to a min or 2. But to many, that's well worth the money over a standard high performance HDD when you can sport the extra cash needed but to underlines by no means justified.

15+ Year Old Account
    People like yourself who cant afford one or think it's too much to pay for one will ofc self justify their own HD to be more then enough and getting a SSD is a waste of money and settle for 2nd best, and that's fine too, just like a HDD.
    First, what do you know of my financial situation? I guess because I won't spend $250 to save upwards of 30 whole seconds on login, I'm broke?

And well your last paragraph your just saying what my post said with a bit more bitterness and more self justification except ofc the fact you think the OP's intention was to create some sort of "SSD will fix all my problems" mentality cause of this thread which is just baffling but everyone are entitled to their own opinions no matter how far from the intentions of the OP it is*shrug*
    I said nothing of the original poster or their intention. Every single SSD thread on this forum has turned into "it'll fix all your problems!" vs "it's not the fix-all that the other side is saying it is". That's just plain factual history of the forum. I like to cut off that situation whenever possible. One of my main stances since this forum was created is that I don't want people misled into spending hundreds on a snake oil "fix".

Also, what Asera said.

I can, for laptops to a greater degree, and desktops to a lesser.

Less noise, less weight, less vibrations, less heat, less power-consumption, does not break when/if dropped. Oh, and more speed.

SSDs are just FUN. You don't need a GTX 580 to play WoW, you can play on super low settings, but thats not fun. People pay for fun things. Loading WoW with all my addons in 6 seconds is fun. Going to a new area and having everything display immediately is fun. You can get an intel 320 series 120gb ssd for like 240 from newegg... thats not a huge amount of cash.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have that exact SSD, the load times are amazing, unfortunatly i had to transfer wow to my 1tb HDD cos it takes up to make space for a 90gb drive :/
    Quote Originally Posted by Drakhar View Post
    Honestly though I'd be amazed if the xpac took that long, even taking Blizzard's soon(tm) into consideration. If it doesn't come out before October it means there are some serious issues behind the scenes and it's time to abandon ship like an Italian cruiseliner captain.

Quote Originally Posted by moguri View Post
    SSDs are just FUN. You don't need a GTX 580 to play WoW, you can play on super low settings, but thats not fun.
    I'm sorry, I can't sit and just watch that analogy go past.

A GTX580 is useless for WoW, since anything above GTX460 1GiB or Radeon HD6850 will provide nothing for WoW in a 1080p resolution. I played full ultra, 60fps in 1080p, I had a GTX460.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by moguri View Post
    SSDs are just FUN. You don't need a GTX 580 to play WoW, you can play on super low settings, but thats not fun. People pay for fun things. Loading WoW with all my addons in 6 seconds is fun. Going to a new area and having everything display immediately is fun. You can get an intel 320 series 120gb ssd for like 240 from newegg... thats not a huge amount of cash.
    240 is more than half of the cash you need to upgrade to an i5 2500k if said person is running an Athlon X2 or the likes, which will benefit him way more than a couple less seconds loading time.

First, what do you know of my financial situation? I guess because I won't spend $250 to save upwards of 30 whole seconds on login, I'm broke?
    Did you just see red after I said cant afford it and forgot to read the last bit or just intentionally ignored it?.. let me quote myself so you don't have to scroll up "or think it's too much to pay for one" <-- That's the boat you obviously sit in...

I said nothing of the original poster or their intention. Every single SSD thread on this forum has turned into "it'll fix all your problems!" vs "it's not the fix-all that the other side is saying it is". That's just plain factual history of the forum. I like to cut off that situation whenever possible. One of my main stances since this forum was created is that I don't want people misled into spending hundreds on a snake oil "fix".

Also, what Asera said.
    I'm glad you pre-judge all threads about SSD based on history on this forum, quite the open view you have..
    Tho about this thread it's turning into a "If you got the extra money and your system is already top of the line, get one, you wont regret it" so nothing about "SDD will fix your pc bro" has been mentioned in any post as far as I can see in this thread, could be wrong ofc..

I would spend about 120 on a boot drive hard drive and seeing as though it would sometimes half my load times. I mean as I said earlier I am going to get an entirely new computer, at the moment logging into Stormwind at like 2 in the morning took almost an entire minute (57 seconds). With all the loading and playing I do across many games I could save hours of wait time in a year I wouldn't mind spending that much when I would keep that computer for probably 3 years. Some people spend that much getting their fps from 30-40 when that can be unnecessary, completely depends on the person.

10+ Year Old Account
    Can't argue with that SSDs are better, but as I said it still doesn't feel like it was worth it for me on the desktop. At least should've gone for the 25nm Intel 320 SSD, saving some money, perhaps the NAND would break faster but hey current gen SSDs will probably get replaced by much better (cheaper) models soon enough anyway.

If you go for an SSD don't stare yourselves blind on specs! Last generation of SSDs (or the lower tier of current gen) will provide the same "life-altering experience" for less money. After that, in real world applications, you run into bottlenecks on other parts anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisgoat View Post

A GTX580 is useless for WoW, since anything above GTX460 1GiB or Radeon HD6850 will provide nothing for WoW in a 1080p resolution. I played full ultra, 60fps in 1080p, I had a GTX460.
    Not trying hard enough! I can find some niche uses for a better GPU in WoW. None worth the extra money for any sane person, but still!

* Custom ground clutter and spell effect values

* 8x MSAA all ultra 1920x1080 on 1GB VRAM in while flying around Twilight highlands. It'll choke! I think.. maybe I tested this while having a custom ground clutter value

* Uldum, fly around up in the sky over water n stuff, promise you will find GPU-necked places where 60 fps will turn into 50 on a 460!

* Maloriak in blackwing descent during phase transition... I think! He throws a lot of effects around. I don't raid anymore but I could've sweared this created a temporary dip to 30 fps on the 460 for me, which I tracked to being a GPU related bottleneck.

Am I crazy for taking these notes? Don't answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Wries View Post
    Not trying hard enough! I can find some niche uses for a better GPU in WoW. None worth the extra money for any sane person, but still!

* Custom ground clutter and spell effect values

* 8x MSAA all ultra 1920x1080 on 1GB VRAM in while flying around Twilight highlands. It'll choke! I think.. maybe I tested this while having a custom ground clutter value

* Uldum, fly around up in the sky over water n stuff, promise you will find GPU-necked places where 60 fps will turn into 50 on a 460!

* Maloriak in blackwing descent during phase transition... I think! He throws a lot of effects around. I don't raid anymore but I could've sweared this created a temporary dip to 30 fps on the 460 for me, which I tracked to being a GPU related bottleneck.

Am I crazy for taking these notes? Don't answer.
    I will give you Twilight Highlands.
    Also, I finally CBA'd to fetch my HD6970, so 460 no more! :3 (currently FurMark and Crysis 2 stable at 963core / 6012 mem, running Crysis 2 in Ultra DX11 with 29-52fps)

More overclocking tomorrow, then with voltage-tweaks!
    EDIT: Cut out parts of quote that were irrelevant to my reply.
    EDIT2: I noticed some fluctuation in Uldum, but nothing I could reproduce at will, even with water.
    Ground clutter and the other stuff I already used, to a sensible degree.
    Maloriak, I've never heard of. I don't raid.
    Last edited by BicycleMafioso; 2011-07-07 at 01:34 AM.
    &nbsp;

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisgoat View Post

You get your niche logic out of here and make me a sandwich!
    red panda red panda red panda!