Poll: Favourite scotch?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Thread: Scotch Whisky

Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    The Lightbringer Rend Blackhand's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Scotch Whisky

I love Scotland, my country. I love it's many types of whisky. I am going camping thursday night with my friends and I normally buy a small 35cl bottle of whisky to share with them but this time I'd you guys to help me choose the brand.

What are your favourite scotch whiskys? Bells? The Famous Grouse?

Feel free to also list your favourite non-scottish whiskys or favourite spirits.

I don't like whiskey. =[

10+ Year Old Account
    Everyone has their own tastes, personally I'm not too keen on gin or white wine.

I would say Johnny Walker or Talisker. I voted Other for Talisker 10 year.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Bushmills or Black Velvet
    Zenlyth
    Blue Poster
    "freedom of speech", unfortunately, does not belong in the World of Warcraft environment.

Lagavaullin 16 year oldLaphroigh 18 year oldBakery hill 16 year old cask strengthGlenfiddich 30 year oldBeing in Scotland and listing the brands you didis like being from Italy and saying "should I buy the cheese they have in macdonalds burgers."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by luccadeo View Post
    I would say Johnny Walker or Talisker. I voted Other for Talisker 10 year.
    Oh, how could I forget about Talisker. Made on the Isle of Skye of all places, where my clan (MacLeod) is from.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenkä View Post
    Bushmills or Black Velvet
    Bushmills isn't a scotch.

JW is good but there are several types. You have to figure out which is your preferred. I like JW Black Label but that's me.
    ~ Never switching off the boss to kill adds and blinking into defile; the story of Swizzle.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinmaul
    Never tell the truth if it's going to make you look bad. You tell them you are an officer in Paragon and that you are fluent in Finnish. Then you can say you are used to long grinds and doing whatever it takes to ensure a big finish.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by gypsybob View Post
    Oh, how could I forget about Talisker. Made on the Isle of Skye of all places, where my clan (MacLeod) is from.
    There can be only one! (Icecube in my Scotch)

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I drink Canadian Whiskey's.

Either Gibsons or Forty Creek.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Don't really drink whisky much any more. I would say stay away from the blended rubbish, such as Bells, Grouse, etc and get yourself a good single malt. Glenfiddich and Glenmorangie are both inexpensive and a step up in quality from blended whisky.

If you have a Tesco near you, its well worth making a trip I was shocked at the varieties they had in my local store the other day. They make a good effort in explaining the differences and tastes of the whiskies they had, as you can find that a lot of whisky drinkers are very snobbish and unwilling to share their knowledge about their favourite tipple.

Whatever you decide to get, I hope you have a good time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    Don't really drink whisky much any more. I would say stay away from the blended rubbish, such as Bells, Grouse, etc and get yourself a good single malt. Glenfiddich and Glenmorangie are both inexpensive and a step up in quality from blended whisky.

If you have a Tesco near you, its well worth making a trip I was shocked at the varieties they had in my local store the other day. They make a good effort in explaining the differences and tastes of the whiskies they had, as you can find that a lot of whisky drinkers are very snobbish and unwilling to share their knowledge about their favourite tipple.

Whatever you decide to get, I hope you have a good time.
    Cheers, pal. I quite enjoy blended whiskey and since you mentioned Tesco there is a 'Special Reserve' brand that is specially made for Tescos and its not half bad I wouldn't say I'm a snobbish whiskey drinker, I drink what tastes good and allows me to have a good time

Cheers, pal. I quite enjoy blended whiskey and since you mentioned Tesco there is a 'Special Reserve' brand that is specially made for Tescos and its not half bad I wouldn't say I'm a snobbish whiskey drinker, I drink what tastes good and allows me to have a good time
    I didn't mean that you were snobbish. Its just that there is so much variety in the taste of different whiskies that it can be hard to find out the differences and some whisky drinkers tend look down on people that are not as knowledgeable. For example I knew a Scottish guy who worked in a pub, who would refuse put anything in whisky, if you asked for ice he would serve you a scotch and ice in a separate glass.

If you are drinking it with a mixer then you are wasting your money going for a single malt and by all means to stick to the blended stuff. But I would recommend trying a decent a single malt, Squidfayce has mentioned some excellent whiskies although they do not come cheap. Personally I would stay away from the really expensive whisky as often you feel as if you have to enjoy it and it detracts from actually enjoying it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    I didn't mean that you were snobbish. Its just that there is so much variety in the taste of different whiskies that it can be hard to find out the differences and some whisky drinkers tend look down on people that are not as knowledgeable. For example I knew a Scottish guy who worked in a pub, who would refuse put anything in whisky, if you asked for ice he would serve you a scotch and ice in a separate glass.

If you are drinking it with a mixer then you are wasting your money going for a single malt and by all means to stick to the blended stuff. But I would recommend trying a decent a single malt, Squidfayce has mentioned some excellent whiskies although they do not come cheap. Personally I would stay away from the really expensive whisky as often you feel as if you have to enjoy it and it detracts from actually enjoying it.
    I know you wern't suggesting I was snobbish but I know exactly what you mean. I don't personally know anyone like that but still I'd imagine it would be kind of annoying.

I'm hardly an expert but I try to taste as many single malts as I can. So far my favorite is probably my Talisker 12yr distiller's edition. But I haven't had one that I don't like. Other notables are Macallan 10 and Lagavulin 16.

As for blended, I've had JW Red and Black. I love red because it's great with cherry cola and won't break my wallet. If I'm going to spend enough to get a bottle of black though, I'd rather just have a single malt.

Deleted
    Famous grouse hands down since the first time I touched that scotch I been in love with it, before that used to drink Johnny a lot and still do from time to time but famous grouse just tasted a lil bit better.

15+ Year Old Account
    Not a big scotch drinker. I prefer rye. CC or Crown.

Deleted
    famous grouse

10+ Year Old Account
    What are your favourite scotch whiskys?
    Macallan, Balvenie, Dalwhinnie.