Thread: I hate steam

Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

I hate steam

I was down the local EB games store having a squiz and they are having a big sale atm and as I am not playing wow (cata sucks) I thought I'll pick up a cheap old game I haven't played yet. Supreme Commander 2 oooo I played the first one so I'll give this a go. Anyways I get home, put the disk in and begin install, oh I have to install steam, oh that's ok I have an old account (halflife and counterstrike days). Anyway get about half way though the install and omg it wanted to get the other half from steam and it's like a seven hour download. I thought what a !@#$%^& joke, who invented this piece of shit. So Steam have just ruined my day.

Think about it this way:
    You probably could've gotten that game for half price on Steam.
    Steam kicks ass. Your internet must be icky or something.

Woops soz should have put this in off topic. can you move threads?

Bloodsail Admiral dicertification's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I love steam. Cheap cheap games, and never having to worry about install discs.Since steam has a pretty reliable bandwidth for downloads it's safe to say your internet blows.

Steam is one of the best things that have happened to the gaming community. btw i think the problem is your internet.

well its's not my isp unless they choke steam and not anything else

---------- Post added 2011-07-06 at 06:55 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by dicertification View Post
    I love steam. Cheap cheap games, and never having to worry about install discs.Since steam has a pretty reliable bandwidth for downloads it's safe to say your internet blows.
    What sort of bandwidth do you get normaly?

Deleted
    It gotta be your internet, a 7 hour download is insane.

10+ Year Old Account
    Go watch a movie - hang out with friends - mow your parents lawn while you wait. 7 hours isn't the end of the world.
    That said: The listed storage space required for the game is 4.5 gigs.

If you installed half and need the remaining 2-2.5 and it takes 7 hours, there's definitely something wrong with your line if you're the only person on it.
    Last edited by Sterilize; 2011-07-06 at 09:03 AM.

I get 6 megabytes/sec from steam.
    Who is Chris Metzen? He is supposed to be Turkish. Some say his father was German. Nobody believed he was real. Nobody ever saw him or knew anybody that ever worked directly for him, but to hear Zarhym tell it, anybody could have worked for Metzen. You never knew. That was his power. The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist. And like that... poof! He's gone.

I,m getting about 35 Kb/s

I agree it's obnoxious to buy a boxed product and find that it's basically just a massive download link.

Dunno why you're directing your ire at Steam though, Steam is awesome -- it would have put the same game right on your machine while you slept, maybe even for 50% off if it was a full moon or something. (Not to mention sending more of that money to the actual developers and less to the middlemen, yadda yadda yadda.)

Solution: quit buying data in a box.

10+ Year Old Account
    I actually agree with the original poster for the exact same reason he started this for. Steam is fine for downloading games(which I personally am not a fan of) but I have a big problem with retail games on disk that still require you to use Steam to run. I purchased Lost Planet for PC and I had the same issue and the thing that really gets me is that NO WHERE on the box did it say anything about having to install Steam to run the game. If I had known I needed it to run the game I wouldnt have gotten it.

Solution: quit buying data in a box.
    I am probably actually one of the few people out there that is actually against downloading games, even more so if they are download only releases. Developers should use download services as an optional means to sell their games for those who would rather download it rather then have a physical copy, but I personally feel making a game download only will in the long run be a bad decision. I know atl east for indie developers the general opinion is that its cheaper then having to pay for disk/packaging but I cant see that as being a real problem. I know plenty of small game companies, many of which most people have never heard of, that are selling their games in outlets such as dollar stores and still managed to release their games on disk. Same for many homebrew game sites. Its always a glad sight for me to see games like Super Meatboy and Braid that eventually come out on disk. I would gladly pay more for a game if it is in a physical format, knowing that my only problems with it would be my own carelessness, rather then having to depend on a service that for all I know will go out of business/stop supporting the games I like a few years down the line. This is actually one of the greatest fears for great games I have seen on Playstation Network/Live Arcade/WiiWare, when this generation of systems is over, whats going to happen to all the games released exclusively as downloads through these services? There is a reason that many of the download only games on older consoles services are universally almost unheard of and that's because the companies that made them stopped supporting them.Once again this is just a personal little rant but when the time comes that a system is released that is download only software or a streaming only system, then that will be the day I stop buying new systems.
    Last edited by Mechazod; 2011-07-06 at 09:40 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Steam was probably downloading updates and extra things for the game, usually the retail copies are out of date.

*edit* there is also an option to turn auto update off, google it.
    Last edited by warhead0; 2011-07-06 at 09:36 AM.

STEAM is really really bad. In the primetime you get max 50kb/s especially now with the summersameles. And if the STEAM-Servers explode, no one can play anything...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by HadleyX View Post
    STEAM is really really bad. In the primetime you get max 50kb/s especially now with the summersameles. And if the STEAM-Servers explode, no one can play anything...

The speed you are getting is dependant on your connetion and the server/provider you have chosen to download from.

Steam does have an offline feature too, so you don't even need to be on-line to enjoy most of your steam games.

Guess with bad bandwith. It's your internet not steam. Everyone else downloads by megabytes per sec not puny kilobytes like you. -.-
    Steam ftw, summer sales are awesome and no broken discs to worry about it's all on my awesome account.

Don't hate steam. Hate your internet connection

10+ Year Old Account
    so you made a whole thread to say "cata sucks" and "steam sucks" because you had to download something.

thanks, this was an interesting read. I'd say nobody cares but I care enough to tell you that this was stupid

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatarsemonkey View Post
    I,m getting about 35 Kb/s
    Ouch, that's really, really slow. Must be something wrong with your internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Ms Andry View Post
    so you made a whole thread to say "cata sucks" and "steam sucks" because you had to download something.

thanks, this was an interesting read. I'd say nobody cares but I care enough to tell you that this was stupid
    You suck big time

Personal experiences can be unfortunate.

I love Steam. This year my isp just boosted my downspeed to 1.1 mb/s which isn't the best but it's great to me, it used to be around 500 kb/s.