Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Rate my 1st homebuilt PC

Ok, so I haven't built it yet but I am in the process of getting the parts. I will mainly use this PC for WoW, GoT - Genesis, streaming videos, movies/music, etc...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820211409 - Memory $43

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814127510 - Video Card $195

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811129066 - Case $55

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817371026 - PSU $90

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824009299 - Monitor $120

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822152185 - HD $65

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813128502 - Motherboard $130

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115072 - CPU $220

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827135204 - DvD burner $20

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16832116986 - Windows 7 $100

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835233082 - CPU fan $27

total = $1070

Anyone think I will have any compatibility issues with this setup or any bottlenecks? $1000 is my budget so I'm actually over it so I cant go any higher.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Looks good to me. Only thing to know in advance last time I ordered an Antec 300 series case they didn't come with the LED fans so if you're expecting the LED's as pictures don't hold your breathe (just in case yours doesn't show up with it and you wanted them). Outside of that price looks fine, I would suggest taking a look at the combo deals for mobo, cpu, and memory since there might be something slightly less expensive but same quality.

Also I gigabyte boards

why do you need sandy bridge cpu if are using good videocard?
    Aldoraan Ret Pally since 2.4

Outland - love forever

I would get a cheaper PSU and Motherboard to get a better Graphics card. Just my two cents. You dont need an SLI board or 750 watts.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aldoran View Post
    why do you need sandy bridge cpu if are using good videocard?
    CPU and video card (GPU) are two totally different components in a PC, they both do different things to make games run well. You may have an awesome GPU, but if your CPU is from let's say 2005, then your GPU will not be able to put out, so to speak, as much as it could, essentially being bottle-necked.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

CPU and video card (GPU) are two totally different components in a PC, they both do different things to make games run well. You may have an awesome GPU, but if your CPU is from let's say 2005, then your GPU will not be able to put out, so to speak, as much as it could, essentially being bottle-necked.
    i know it. but sandy bridge cpus have integrated gpu - why is it needed in this setup with good gtx 460 videocard?

Outland - love forever

That RAM is 1.65v. You should really buy 1.5v RAM for Sandy Bridge. On top of that, RAM is dirt cheap right now so 2x4GB (8GB total) won't be much more money.

Because that is a Z68 motherboard, you can add a 64GB (or smaller) SSD to act as a ISRT cache drive now or later to speed up access to your OS and other applicatyions/data that would be installed on your mechanical hard drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Skippyfa View Post
    I would get a cheaper PSU and Motherboard to get a better Graphics card. Just my two cents. You dont need an SLI board or 750 watts.
    I got the PSU already because I know I will upgrade later with 2 video cards in the future and maybe a core i7. The PSU is a really good deal right now too. I saved $50 on that PSU. The Motherboard I am open to suggestions if you can link one.

Deleted
    i know it. but sandy bridge cpus have integrated gpu - why is it needed in this setup with good gtx 460 videocard?
    perhaps you want to read what he wrote again. Integrated graphics suck compared to a dedicated video card.

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    must resist temptation......uhhhh

Ok.

The Sandy Bridge chips do have integrated GPU, but a stand alone(current) gpu will vastly outperform the onboard one.
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

They have a graphics card but it's like a business laptop graphics card. Hardly worth anything except for VERY light gaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille
    I knew it would be useful to be french at some point.
    Quote Originally Posted by xxAkirhaxx
    just get a mac. It's like sleeping with a fat chick to avoid STD's.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sandybridges are not good for their integrated graphics - they are good for their computing power. He will be able to do a lot more and powerhouse through more applications with this CPU than mostly any other, even AMD's 6 core Phenom IIs can't compare - even when OC'd. Only in very very certain applications.
    "A flower.

/facepalm I cannot express in words how wrong that was, but I will try. CPUs don't have integrated GPUs, motherboards can have integrated GPUs. Also, integrated GPUs are about as effective as a paperclip for gaming.

/facepalm I cannot express in words how wrong that was, but I will try. CPUs don't have integrated GPUs, motherboards can have integrated GPUs. Also, integrated GPUs are about as effective as a paperclip for gaming.
    cool story, bro. now google about sandy bridge. or read in wikipedia

And i mean oposite, why do you need to buy CPU with integrated gpu, if you are buying good videocard. Buy a usual CPU, core i5-i7 or some phenom from amd

Outland - love forever

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

And i mean oposite, why do you need to buy CPU with integrated gpu, if you are buying good videocard. Buy a usual CPU, core i5-i7 or some phenom from amd
    You're not buying a Sandy Bridge for its integrated gpu. You're buying it because it's the best price/performance cpu on the market right now. We cannot possibly be any more clear than that.
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

10+ Year Old Account

Read my posts again...

The Sandybridge is the newest CPU architecture from Intel and is arguably the best to date. You don't buy it for the integrated GPU, you buy it for the computing power. My God man, how else can I explain this?
    "A flower.

Sandy Bridge CPU's (not a complete list): Core i3 2100, Core i5 2300, Core i5 2500K, Core i7 2600K.
    All these have iGPU's. They just have it, it's not like "Oh, I don't need the iGPU in this, so I'll just break this part off so I can get a part of my money back.."

10+ Year Old Account

Either you're trolling, or you're an idiot. I can't tell. Allow me to explain. (And please don't be such a pompous ass next time.)
    SandyBridge's shouldn't be purchased exclusively because they have an integrated graphics card. (And they aren't purchased for that reason for the most part, any way.) They're an incredibly solid and up to date CPU with great architecture and great features, as well as being relatively inexpensive.

He's not buying it for the graphics card, and he doesn't plan on using it.

An i5 2500k overclocked is vastly better than an i7 960 or the like.
    Last edited by Fuzzykins; 2011-07-06 at 07:31 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sandy Bridge i7 2600K Integrated GPU. They are crap for gaming.

Graphics Specifications
    Processor Graphics
    Intel® HD Graphics 2000
    Graphics Base Frequency 850 MHz
    Graphics Max Dynamic Frequency 1.35 GHz
    Intel® Quick Sync Video Yes
    Intel® InTru™ 3D Technology, Yes
    Intel® Insider™ Yes
    Intel® Wireless Display No
    Intel® Flexible Display Interface (Intel® FDI) Yes
    Intel® Clear Video HD Technology Yes
    Dual Display Capable Yes

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzykins View Post
    Either you're trolling, or you're an idiot. I can't tell. Allow me to explain. (And please don't be such a pompous ass next time.)
    SandyBridge's shouldn't be purchased exclusively because they have an integrated graphics card. (And they aren't purchased for that reason for the most part, any way.) They're an incredibly solid and up to date graphics card with great architecture and great features in an inexpensive CPU.

He's not buying it for the graphics card, and he doesn't plan on using it.

An i5 2500k overclocked is vastly better than an i7 960 or the like, despite the core difference, even in rendering in some circumstances.
    Ehm, only the 970, 980 and 990 have 6 cores :P The 960 does have HT though.

And "solid and up to date graphics card" ?