Page 1 of 2
LastLast

*Insert XT Voice* I think I broookkee itt..

Yeah. My laptop just went boom, and I'll be going to get a new one on friday, and I was hoping that the fantastic community of mmo-champion would help me out.

It's pretty simple, I'm wanting a machine, that can play WoW and starcraft, at a reasonable framerate, on preferably medium or higher settings.
    But I am unsure on which to go for, desktop, laptop, or a mac.
    I've got about £1000 to spend, maybe a little bit extra, depending on your opinions.

I will say, I'm rather nooby at computer parts, so I may not understand everything, and any input as to what to avoid or get would be extremely helpful.
    Any questions, just ask,I will do my best to answer as accurately as possible.

Thank you.

Deleted
    Desktop 100% if your not moving around and dont need a laptop. People will tell you good parts in a minute (if your willing to build or get it built yourself, which will be better)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixphire View Post
    Yeah. My laptop just went boom, and I'll be going to get a new one on friday, and I was hoping that the fantastic community of mmo-champion would help me out.It's pretty simple, I'm wanting a machine, that can play WoW and starcraft, at a reasonable framerate, on preferably medium or higher settings.But I am unsure on which to go for, desktop, laptop, or a mac.I've got about £1000 to spend, maybe a little bit extra, depending on your opinions.I will say, I'm rather nooby at computer parts, so I may not understand everything, and any input as to what to avoid or get would be extremely helpful.Any questions, just ask,I will do my best to answer as accurately as possible.Thank you.
    1000pounds could build you a high end desktop, but then I'm assuming you don't have a screen and keyboard so you might cut it close.

I'm not against having it built from scratch, but it's more of a matter of downtime. Or finding someone who can build it >.<

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    If you're open to a desktop over a laptop.... I FULL HEARTEDLY support it. And suggest it. And push you in the direction of desktop. They are amaaaaazing for gaming - as is apparent you do by your siggy. ;p
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    How much time do you spend playing your laptop unplugged and on the move? I know I never use mine without it being plugged in.

Don't buy a laptop. Go and get yourself a good Desktop.
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ "In short, people are idiots who don't really understand anything." ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥
    [/url]
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥

Oh! One thing I failed to mention, is I do have to play connected to the internet wirelessly.
    There are blasted walls between my computer and the phone ports D:

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh! One thing I failed to mention, is I do have to play connected to the internet wirelessly.
    There are blasted walls between my computer and the phone ports D:
    Ethernet cables aren't that hard to run through a wall, and good wireless adapters really aren't that expensive.

Desktop > Laptop > Mac

You'll be able to buy a decent PC with that amount. You don't get much for your money with Laptops and Macs, though. And you can always use a Wireless adapter.

Rented place, I doubt my landlord would appreciate me drilling holes in his walls :/

Rented place, I doubt my landlord would appreciate me drilling holes in his walls :/

Considering the size of a hole you need, ask. Its always worth trying. My landlord let me at the apartment i lived in before buying my house.
    As for prot... haha losers he dmg needs a nerf with the intercept shield bash wtf silence crit a clothie like a mofo.
    Wow.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Yeah running an ethernet cable along the floor boards isn't difficult either, just need a flat head screwdriver and time. Mind I am crazy and ran ethernet to every room in the house including the bathroom....You just never know.

Well, running a cable across the ground isn't an option for sure. I need wheelchair access for a family member.
    Having it around the door frame and through the wall, is unlikely, but possible. Will look into it.
    Is it possible to get additional ports put in place? That may be an option too, though more unlikely than running it across the frames.

I think it's pretty one sided for getting a desktop. Though specs etc haven't been said.
    Will try convince my brother to come with me when I go to the shop. He may be able to help.
    Thanks for all the help!

Deleted
    For £1000. You will have the beasty of the beasts.

Last edited by mmoc233041c6ce; 2011-07-07 at 12:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyre Fierceshot View Post
    For £1000. You will have the beasty of the beasts.

Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3Ghz £163
    MSI P67A-GD53 ~£104
    GPU: MSI gtx 560 Ti ~£190 *2
    RAM: Corsair XMS3 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz ~£70
    HDD: 1TB Samsung SpinPoint F3 HD103SJ Hard Disk Drive - ~£40
    Corsair TX850 Power Supply ~£90
    Optical drive: Liteon IHAS124-19 DVD-RW 24x £13.45
    Case: Antec 300 - £50
    Or go with an AMD build with a Phenom x6 1100t which would easily rival the 2500k and save about 25% off the cost. Just my 2 cents though.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    Or go with an AMD build with a Phenom x6 1100t which would easily rival the 2500k and save about 25% off the cost. Just my 2 cents though.
    Excuse me?

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Produ...1.62.129.63.64

And take a look at the bottom where the games are listed.
    Your greed, your foolishness has brought you to this end.

- Prince Malchezaar

AMD fanboy much? i5 2500k smokes anything AMD have to offer by about the 25% (or $50) you are advising him to "save". You bought a shitty chip, deal with it.

While i'd agree desktop, £1000 is about the point where a GOOD laptop would pwn wow also. Have a hunt around for an MSI GX660 I do both and use either depending on mood/location
    Last edited by mercutiouk; 2011-07-07 at 12:16 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille
    I knew it would be useful to be french at some point.
    Quote Originally Posted by xxAkirhaxx
    just get a mac. It's like sleeping with a fat chick to avoid STD's.

Quote Originally Posted by mercutiouk View Post
    AMD fanboy much? i5 2500k smokes anything AMD have to offer by about the 25% (or $50) you are advising him to "save". You bought a shitty chip, deal with it.

While i'd agree desktop, £1000 is about the point where a GOOD laptop would pwn wow also. Have a hunt around for an MSI GX660 I do both and use either depending on mood/location
    I suppose at stock settings...

However, when you're buying a black edition Phenom, they're made to be (easily) overclocked. I don't even own an AMD machine, I was just throwing it out there as a suggestion to save money since it only looks like he's interested in WoW.
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

I suppose at stock settings...

However, when you're buying a black edition Phenom, they're made to be (easily) overclocked.
    So can K series Sandy Bridge processors (like the 2500k), and they can be clocked higher as well

Quote Originally Posted by Adappy View Post
    So can K series Sandy Bridge processors (like the 2500k), and they can be clocked higher as well
    But is it worth the extra money for just WoW and Starcraft? I don't think there will be issues with either cpu reaching vsync numbers. Could always toss the extra money from getting a Phenom/AMD mobo towards getting a SSD.

build pics