10+ Year Old Account

UH DK in PvP: Im going crazy

Hey guys, i decided to try DK PvP this season, so i geared my Death Knight to full vicious (last week), and got into frost and i have fun with it doing bgs, then i realized playing TreeSG this week that i get fucked up pretty easy, because me being so squishy and not having that much self healing, so i decided to try Unholy, and i got to say

I dont understand it 1 bit..

I dont know which spells i should use, i just know im supposed to spam Blood Strike and keep diseases up (which diseases? all of them? just frost and blood plague? what do i know!!), but half of the time im "rune starved", also using Festering Strike every once in a while, but im pretty confused on what should i do.

Please someone enlighten me with a "rotation" or a priority list, because im pretty lost in this.

and yes, i did check AJ, but they just have the stats priorities and the "new" spells, nothing about rotations or strategies
    (also avoid any abbreviations, because im not used to the class yet)

Also, my alts amory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ezter/advanced
    Last edited by Antherios; 2011-07-07 at 12:02 AM.

Deleted
    Making the transition from frost to unholy seems to be really hard as my fellow DK guildies also do struggle. I'll try to explain. FYI, i'll try my best with my english, i'm german.

As Unholy, one really really big part of gameplay is managing your runes. Getting "rune starved" happens really easily, and will happen when you fire off random runes without thinking about it first. Outbreak is your best friend here.
    Your goal will be to get as many Scourge Strikes or Necrotic Strikes out as possible. Finding the balance between these two is another tier of skill higher, as every point leftover of Necrotic Strike on your target when you or it dies was wasted damage, but you'll get to it.
    To be able to fire off Scourge Strikes at amounts that matter, you must build up as many deathrunes/unholyrunes as possible. You do that with Festering Strike, using 1 bloodrune and 1 frostrune, converting both into deathrunes.

Example: you open on your target with 1x Outbreak + 2x Festering Strike + 2x Scourge/Necrotic Strike + Horn of Winter. You now have 70 Runic Power stored, 4 Deathrunes in the making and 2 Unholy Runes on cooldown. When Runes slowly regenerate, you have now 2 Death Coils and 6 Scourge/Necrotic Strikes free for use.
    For quick burst you could now pop Unholy Frenzy, call your Gargoyle (-50rp), pop Empower Runeweapon (+25rp) and fire off 1 Death Coil and 6 Scourge/Necrotic Strikes. But I wouldn't do that and save these Cooldowns for the second part of your gameplay:

Getting the ghoul up and running. The Ghoul is a big part of unholy gameplay and transforming him as fast as possible is vital. Try to time your cooldowns while the ghoul cleaves all 'zerker through your foes. For maximum burst and control, I even hotkeyed his Claw ability to not be out of energy when I need the stun.

Lets say you get to chain up a perfect buildup. You have 2 Unholy Runes and 4 Death Runes on cooldown, 130 Runic Power in store, 5 stacks of that ghoul empowerment thingie up and running, ready for transformation with 100 energy to use. Blood Tap and Transform your ghoul. Pop Unholy Frenzy, your dmg drinket, call your gargoyle, cast your remaining Death Coils, Pop Empower Runeweapon, fire off 6 Scourge/Necrotic Strikes, let your Ghoul claw 3 times, fire off some more Death Coils. Stuff will drop. Fast.

Try to be really careful with your resources, save them up and unleash them all at the same time. Mostly like a rogue saving up energy to fire it off all at once for maximum burst. Unholy is really easy once you get the hang of it, but it's extremely different to Frost. The runes are just a lot more valuable. Treat them like that ^^.

Edit: Your most important stat as unholy after strength is haste, not mastery.
    Last edited by mmoc7f25e17046; 2011-07-07 at 12:44 AM. Reason: stat weights

First of all just take Death Strike off your bar. Everyone at arenajunkies is assured it's worthless to kill your dps for the shit healing it gives.

What ^ said is good for damage, but also rely on your allies. Stick with a healer as you have no survivability. Your job is to get stuff dead before it does too much damage.
    Last edited by Rukh; 2011-07-07 at 01:24 AM.

Deleted
    Keep Necrotic Strike up, profit :> :> (sorry but someone had to say it)

I just started PvPing with my DK last season as Frost and had some luck, but I've never done much PvP as Unholy, I used to raid some as Unholy but I know there's alot of differences. That being said, I'm an Unholy noob, what Unholy talent build(s) are recommended now for S10? How does this look?

http://www.wowhead.com/talent#j0bZG0obZbGcdcfzRku:sVcV0cMm0

Any tips are appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Antherios View Post
    Hey guys, i decided to try DK PvP this season, so i geared my Death Knight to full vicious (last week), and got into frost and i have fun with it doing bgs, then i realized playing TreeSG this week that i get fucked up pretty easy, because me being so squishy and not having that much self healing, so i decided to try Unholy, and i got to say

I dont understand it 1 bit..

I dont know which spells i should use, i just know im supposed to spam Blood Strike and keep diseases up (which diseases? all of them? just frost and blood plague? what do i know!!), but half of the time im "rune starved", also using Festering Strike every once in a while, but im pretty confused on what should i do.

Please someone enlighten me with a "rotation" or a priority list, because im pretty lost in this.

and yes, i did check AJ, but they just have the stats priorities and the "new" spells, nothing about rotations or strategies
    (also avoid any abbreviations, because im not used to the class yet)

Also, my alts amory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ezter/advanced
    I am really not sure if you are trolling TBH. Ever thought about using scourge strike as unholy when its the damn ability you get from picking the spec? rage of rivendare boosts festering strike damage, hmmm.. stop using blood strike. and why would you only use 1 disease..? you dont make any sense. its ridiculously easy to figure out what abilities to use and rotation by yourself, i dont know why people even need help with it. sorry to sound harsh.

almost every class has self healing now so keep up nec strike, keep burning the unholy runes if you up against a range, and just try to keep up dark transform as much as possible and blow str trinkets then get gargoyle out with your super ghoul for alot of pressure.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hey, I used to play Unholy back before 4.1, frost during 4.1 (like so many) and unholy again in 4.2 now.
    Basically, you start how you would/should in frost. Chains + Plague Strike. Then Festering Strike until your blood and frost runes are used up (you should have a spare blood rune, can pop blood tap to change this to a death rune). Use every single Death/Unholy rune on Necrotic Strike, unless the target is on their own and won't get healed, you use Scourge Strike in this case.

The priority system is something like Diseases > Necrotic Strike/Scourge Strike (depending on the healer situation) > Death Coil on ranged/plate > Festering Strike > Death Coil on anyone else. Once you get used to it (and it doesnt take long) you can really do some fast button spamming and pull off high numbers.

Have your ghouls stun off auto-cast as you can spam the stun when attacking a healer when they're low health and you get a kill.
    Use Dark Transformation as soon as it proc's.

It's all about necrotic strike and micro managing your ghoul. You need to be able to focus interrupt, death grip and ghoul stun all the while pumping into your opponent with low damage strikes. If you aren't good with macros/paying attention you aren't going to be a good unholy DK. UH pvp is a slow and painful death. You must keep your diseases up at all times and Scourge Strike is only used against classes without self healing and generally only when they are about to die.

You festering strike twice to get your death runes up then necrotic strike x6 after that. Save UH/Garg for when all shit is popping (trinket etc) and hope to god you don't get juked on your mind freeze.

They buffed healing quite a bit this patch so necrotic strike stacks aren't as potent as they used to be.

There is no wild burst like frost pvp and you should expect to see your highest crit around 8-9k in full vicious.
    Last edited by luckybeer; 2011-07-08 at 09:21 PM.

hey there is a post by Jigslol in skillcapped for unholy dks and its rotation etc.., it is really good u should check it out.

Deleted
    Lmao, shows how much thought went in the play style of Frost DK's