Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Suppose Rift is quite successful...

What will MMO champ do? Since it's now technically a curse site, will they split it? Will it have a dedicated community area instead of the off topic section? Just curious what you all think. Has this been posted already? I didn't see it...

This is a WoW site even though it says MMO-Champion. (WoW is the MMO-Champion!!)

no rift will fail, nothing will beat wow why even try. this will fall in the aion,warhammer category, "the fail wow killers lawl"
    Bane

Quote Originally Posted by ironfists View Post
    no rift will fail, nothing will beat wow why even try. this will fall in the aion,warhammer category, "the fail wow killers lawl"
    Because of course a game cannot possibly be a success unless it completely eradicates all competition from the market, to the point where no other game but itself continues to exist.

I don't get the obsession with whether Rift will "beat" WoW or not. Some people will play both. Some will leave WoW for Rift. Others will try it and decide they like WoW better. Still others who don't play WoW will pick up Rift. Life and both games will go on.

(Though the sheer number of WoW players who seem to thrive on trolling on other games never ceases to amaze me.... and honestly, if WoW is doing so well, why are all these people so insecure that they have to go out of their way to belittle and attack other games?)

Edit: On topic, I tend to doubt that MMO will split and begin covering Rift as well... the only way I see that happening is if Rift attracts an absolutely huge (double edit: huge here meaning at least a million subscriptions, minimum) following, and even then it'd probably make more sense to open a sister site rather than split MMO's focus both ways. If boub decided he really did want to cover both games, there's nothing saying he couldn't do it with two separate but linked/related sites, with their own news feeds and forum trackers, possibly even sharing a common forum area.
    Last edited by darkwarrior42; 2011-01-26 at 08:12 AM.

Tbh I took a look at Rift and the character design didn't really do much for me.

but yeah, this is a WoW site. notice how there is next to nothing on any other game here?

Well I'm going to try both. Rift looks very interesting. But the time and effort I have put in WoW will probably just pull me back

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by darkwarrior42 View Post
    Because of course a game cannot possibly be a success unless it completely eradicates all competition from the market, to the point where no other game but itself continues to exist.

I don't get the obsession with whether Rift will "beat" WoW or not. Some people will play both. Some will leave WoW for Rift. Others will try it and decide they like WoW better. Still others who don't play WoW will pick up Rift. Life and both games will go on.

(Though the sheer number of WoW players who seem to thrive on trolling on other games never ceases to amaze me.... and honestly, if WoW is doing so well, why are all these people so insecure that they have to go out of their way to belittle and attack other games?)
    So it would seem. A lot of people really do take offensively that this game may do well, which was the point of my post It is a "what if it's good" scenario, not "what if it wins" scenario.

im not trolling, about half the people on my server said, "oh im leaving wow once aion comes out" they never do. to much time is invested in wow from an average player they are not gonna want to play another mmo. if anything they will get burned out of wow and quit for good, moving on to another game. come back in 2 weeks after its release and laugh at me if im wrong i'll be waiting
    Bane

Deleted
    From my experience, when a new mmo comes out that looks awesome, is literally awesome. But then a month or so down the line you will be wanting to go back to WoW and you may realise that you have fallen behind in progression and gear etc from other players and guilds. Trust me games like rift and aion are all just hyped up to scare the players of blizz by saying "oooh this game is going to kill WoW
    " well the simple fact of the matter is that IT WONT. Just stick to wow dude, trust.

Deleted
    2 years ago there was a similar thread about Aion... hmh.

I agree, why even try. You should just stop trying to breath if that is the attitude you take towards life.

Deleted
    I hope Rift does well, but the whole hype about this game reminds me of Aion.
    I really enjoyed Aion until the extreme grinding started. I hope Rift does better...

im not trolling, about half the people on my server said, "oh im leaving wow once aion comes out" they never do. to much time is invested in wow from an average player they are not gonna want to play another mmo. if anything they will get burned out of wow and quit for good, moving on to another game. come back in 2 weeks after its release and laugh at me if im wrong i'll be waiting
    I wasn't necessarily implying that you were trolling, I'm just a bit tired of the posts screaming about how Rift will either fail or kill WoW, as if there is no middle ground, so I'm probably prone to overreacting. You're absolutely right in that the time investment is a large factor for any other game to overcome at this point. Some of us have been playing since Vanilla, and that's a lot of time/effort put into a single character. Unless the player is already weary of the game, any other game would have to be absolutely amazing to entice someone away (though that doesn't mean someone couldn't play both games).

*shrug* I'm in the beta for Rift right now, and a lot of things that annoy me about WoW are fixed. They're little things, mostly, but they make a very large difference in my ability to enjoy the game; the class/soul/talent system is a big draw for me, and the Rift Stalker class in particular is one I'm having a lot of fun with.

But Rift or no Rift, I'm personally feeling a bit disenchanted with WoW atm anyways. I'm not going to launch into any kind of tyrade about WoW, because my issues are just that: my issues. Bottom line is that I'm not really having a lot of fun in WoW right now, and if I'm not having fun with it I see no reason to continue. Rift seems promising, so I'm going to try it out. If it doesn't work out, I may well be back. I tried both Warhammer and Aion, and wound up coming back... though admittedly, in the case of Warhammer, I only came back because the population dwindled, and a PVP-focused game simply isn't viable without a large population. I did (and still do) like WAR better, it just wasn't viable for what I wanted to do anymore. So I'll play Rift, and see where it goes. But whether it succeeds or not, it won't kill WoW, because that's just not how things work. EQ is still around despite WoW after all, so by that line of reasoning WoW wasn't an EQ killer.

I suppose you want a Runescape forum too?

Vanguard will kill WoW. Age of Conan will kill WoW. Warhammer will kill WoW. Aion will kill WoW. Rift will kill WoW. Star Wars KOTOR will kill WoW.

I'll believe it when it happens instead of the endless, exactly replicating cycle of hype for every new MMO and how it is going to crush WoW and be so great only to fall flat on its face a month into release and lose 90% of its overhyped fanboy players due to bugs and terrible gameplay.

I wasn't necessarily implying that you were trolling, I'm just a bit tired of the posts screaming about how Rift will either fail or kill WoW, as if there is no middle ground, so I'm probably prone to overreacting. You're absolutely right in that the time investment is a large factor for any other game to overcome at this point. Some of us have been playing since Vanilla, and that's a lot of time/effort put into a single character. Unless the player is already weary of the game, any other game would have to be absolutely amazing to entice someone away (though that doesn't mean someone couldn't play both games).

*shrug* I'm in the beta for Rift right now, and a lot of things that annoy me about WoW are fixed. They're little things, mostly, but they make a very large difference in my ability to enjoy the game; the class/soul/talent system is a big draw for me, and the Rift Stalker class in particular is one I'm having a lot of fun with.

But Rift or no Rift, I'm personally feeling a bit disenchanted with WoW atm anyways. I'm not going to launch into any kind of tyrade about WoW, because my issues are just that: my issues. Bottom line is that I'm not really having a lot of fun in WoW right now, and if I'm not having fun with it I see no reason to continue. Rift seems promising, so I'm going to try it out. If it doesn't work out, I may well be back. I tried both Warhammer and Aion, and wound up coming back... though admittedly, in the case of Warhammer, I only came back because the population dwindled, and a PVP-focused game simply isn't viable without a large population. I did (and still do) like WAR better, it just wasn't viable for what I wanted to do anymore. So I'll play Rift, and see where it goes. But whether it succeeds or not, it won't kill WoW, because that's just not how things work. EQ is still around despite WoW after all, so by that line of reasoning WoW wasn't an EQ killer.
    yea sorry bout the attitude, i get defensive easily lol
    Bane

Aion = WoW + Graphics
    Age of Conan = WoW + Graphics
    Rift = WoW + Graphics

Aion and AoC didn't kill WoW, and I doubt Rift will either.
    I run a satire / humor blog site very The Onion-esque. It's like taking trolling to another level.

www.spinatlantic.com

Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Aion = WoW + Graphics
    Age of Conan = WoW + Graphics
    Rift = WoW + Graphics

Aion and AoC didn't kill WoW, and I doubt Rift will either.
    When you say WoW + Graphics, what you really mean is 1/10th the content of WoW + Graphics, lol.

I just honestly don't see it taking off. I'm not being a WoW fanboy or anything, I've just seen these claims of WoW killers far too often, and every single one fell flat on its face.

Rift has a few interesting ideas, but they are, at best, a variant on an existing format. It's not enough for me, personally, to drop the game it is essentially a slightly deviated clone of. Why should I effectively 'start over' for an extremely similar looking experience?

Two things could get me into Rift. First, if people I know start playing it, I will as well. Second, if I'm still hearing great feedback and that content is being added months down the line. The second has yet to happen with any other 'WoW killer', so we'll see if Rift can do it or not.

There doesnt nescessarily need to be 1 big mmo with 3x more players than other games you know.
    85 Manabrødx Main
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...C3%B8dx/simple
    85 Gethax Alt
    I am dave ! yognaught
    /salute