10+ Year Old Account

Need Warhammer 40k advice

Hi all! I'm somebody who loves the warhammer mythos and universe, and have extensively played both the tabletop game and the mmo. I am now interested in playing the strategy game. I searched warhammer on steam, but there is a lot of stuff there! So my question is, where do you recommend I start?

Dawn of War obviously.

Deleted
    Dawn of war 1 + expansion packs, DOW2 isn't bad but the first is better.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dawn of War 1 is more like a classical strategy game than Dawn of War II. Dawn of War II focuses on micro-managing and small squad combat. There is some loose tie in information between the two but nothing major. As for order of actual games:

Dawn of War -> Winter Assault -> Dark Crusade -> Soulstorm -> Dawn of War II -> Chaos Rising -> Retribution

DoW 1 is your classic harvest-build-fight strategy game, basically Starcraft in 40Kverse. I had a lot of fun with it. It really shows its age now (graphics look a bit meh).

From the fluff standpoint it barely lines up with the "real" WH40K, there are some mods that address that.

DoW 2 is more like Diablo in 40Kverse, with multiple units. You get your units, you stomp around a map shooting stuff or beating stuff. It actually lines up with the tabletop and fluff better than DoW 1, Emperor help me I can't believe I'm saying this. That is, as long as you treat it not as a 1500-2000 pts battle, but as a Deathwatch killteam mission or an Inquisitor-scale game.
    "The Patient? Well... maybe... the mental kind..."

I loved the dawn of war 1 and its expansion and i played the hell out of them, hell i still do when i travel i play them on laptop since it cant run dow2 without overheating (i play that on desktop). Dawn of war 1 is nothing like starcraft or other rts the only thing it shares is base building, you dont harvest you fight, dow1 is a very fast pace game compared to the rest of its peers (sc1 sc2 cc AoE...). However dow1 is quite old and is not that true to fluff in most aspects. Also the MP is pretty much dead.

It is my advice to start with dow1 + winter assault for the campaings only then follow up to retribution (dow2 cr ) If you want to experience the story which aint that deep anyways. If you care for MP only go ahead and start with retribution, youll save yourself A LOT OF MONEY. The mp is fun but has a very steep learning curve but right now is the best 40k fix you gonna get in rts terms. All armies feel different and mostly true to their roots. For balance sake SM are not as OP as in fluff but they are still well represented at least better than dow1.

Also we are getting a downloadable psn and xbl game of 40k called kill team this month check it out.In september you can buy SM game which looks solid for all 3 platforms.

There's also the Shooter Fire Warrior which is good if you aren't expecting a big and great game. Not for forget Rites of War, Warhammer 40k Epic Final Liberation or Space Hulk, but they are all older games.

10+ Year Old Account
    Also Space Marine is coming out soonish.

In addition to the games you should read the books, there are troves of amazing works in the black library from Space marines to chaos to the horus heresy to Imp Guard.

Quote Originally Posted by Olgierd View Post
    DoW 1 is your classic harvest-build-fight strategy game, basically Starcraft in 40Kverse. I had a lot of fun with it. It really shows its age now (graphics look a bit meh).

From the fluff standpoint it barely lines up with the "real" WH40K, there are some mods that address that.

DoW 2 is more like Diablo in 40Kverse, with multiple units. You get your units, you stomp around a map shooting stuff or beating stuff. It actually lines up with the tabletop and fluff better than DoW 1, Emperor help me I can't believe I'm saying this. That is, as long as you treat it not as a 1500-2000 pts battle, but as a Deathwatch killteam mission or an Inquisitor-scale game.
    I had to laugh at your describing it as a killteam mission. It hits it very true on the head. I liked both a lot. In a way I kind of prefer the killteam approach, only because it's more true to the game. But I do miss the build it and such aspect of DOW 1 + xpacs. But as suggested, I would start with DOW 1 and go from there. Books too as suggested are a good thing too.
    Orks, Space Marines, Rift (<---- Links for pics BTW)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zeta333 View Post
    In addition to the games you should read the books, there are troves of amazing works in the black library from Space marines to chaos to the horus heresy to Imp Guard.
    <3 Gaunts' Ghosts. And I'm a Tyranid player.

I love the Horus Heresy, but i wish they would put more of Sanguinius in it. Been a blood angel player for 10 years now

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?