Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by broflexing View Post
    thats a lil more than the m14x O.o
    I noted, but you could pick cheaper/earlier model that still has decent specs. : )

If he wants an alienware, he should be able to get it without people riding his ass about it.
    I'll come back and edit when I've taken a look at the configurator.

EDIT: I changed RAM to 8GiB 1333MHz (1600 is overrated, esp for laptops - don't get that.).
    1.5GiB is enough for VRAM.
    Screen, I'd def go the higher resolution one, 1600x900

Anything else, is fine on stock.
    Last edited by BicycleMafioso; 2011-07-07 at 04:36 PM.

Alienware is almost as overpriced as Mac. Just fyi.

i heard a lot of "buy asus" can anyone just look at this final checkout to see if i need any more on the laptop so i can just compare prices better?

https://ecomm2.dell.com/dellstore/ba...d-59df9f3fc5f2

i heard a lot of "buy asus" can anyone just look at this final checkout to see if i need any more on the laptop so i can just compare prices better?

https://ecomm2.dell.com/dellstore/ba...d-59df9f3fc5f2
    Can't see it unless signed in, sorry.

Do NOT get the 3gb GT555M option, stick with the 1.5gb. 3gb won't make a damn of a difference in 1600x900 screens.

If you want an SSD do NOT get the Samsung option, 600 bucks for 256gb on a mediocre SSD. Get an Intel or Corsair SSD in there. Since you aren't going to put a whole lot of files, just some games, a 120 or 160gb will easily suffice. With no long POST sequence at startup my M11x goes from pressing the power button to Windows 7 login screen in 18 seconds.

Alienware's actually nice, no bloatware. Price is up there but it has the best CPU cooling out of any laptops when gaming. You can order an alienware by phone and you might get a discount if you play it well with a US rep.
    Last edited by wooootles; 2011-07-07 at 04:39 PM.

PROCESSOR 2nd generation Intel® Core™ i5-2520M processor 2.50 GHz with Turbo Boost 2.0 up to 3.20 GHz edit
    OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit, English edit
    OFFICE SOFTWARE Microsoft® Office Starter: reduced-functionality Word & Excel w/ ads. No PowerPoint or Outlook edit
    SERVICE PLAN 2 Year Premium Hardware Service edit
    VIDEO CARD NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 540M 2GB graphics with Optimus edit
    HARD DRIVE 750GB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive edit
    SECURITY SOFTWARE McAfee Security Center with VirusScan, Firewall, Spyware Removal, 24-Months edit
    HD DISPLAY 15.6 FHD B+RGLED TL (1920x1080) and Skype-Certified 2.0MP HD Webcam edit
    INTERNAL OPTICAL DRIVE Tray Load Blu-ray Disc BD-Combo (Reads BD and Writes to DVD/CD) with Roxio Creater 2011 edit
    WIRELESS + BLUETOOTH Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N 1030 & Bluetooth 3.0 edit
    SOUND OPTIONS JBL 2.1 Speakers with Waves Maxx Audio 3 edit

This for $1,339.99, and it actually looks good instead of overdone piece of plastic.

Last edited by Thes; 2011-07-07 at 04:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisgoat View Post
    Can't see it unless signed in, sorry.
    sorry,
    processor: Intel® Core™ i7 2630QM 2.0GHz (2.9GHz w/Turbo Boost, 6MB Cache)

memory: 6GB DDR3 at 1600MHz

vid card: 1.5GB DDR3 NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 555M using NVIDIA Optimus™ technology

Hard drive: 500GB 7200RPM SATA 3Gb/s

sorry,
    processor: Intel® Core™ i7 2630QM 2.0GHz (2.9GHz w/Turbo Boost, 6MB Cache)

memory: 6GB DDR3 at 1600MHz

vid card: 1.5GB DDR3 NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 555M using NVIDIA Optimus™ technology

Hard drive: 500GB 7200RPM SATA 3Gb/s
    Change the RAM to 6/8GiB 1333MHz, 1600 will do virtually nothing for you.
    Otherwise, looks very good, and there's few components you can get better in laptops (at affordable levels).
    I'd suggest 1600x900 as screen-choice.

I got an alienware m15x, don't waste your money. If you want a gaming rig, build a desktop computer. Where overclocking it won't overheat it and have it rape itself. If you get an alienware for convenience in laptop form. You are in the wrong place. The laptops are bulky as hell, it's like a tank. I have so many issues with mine.

Otherwise, looks very good, and there's few components you can get better in laptops (at affordable levels).
    How much is that system? Definitely better than what I posted, but since Alienware = Dell, I kept with the same company.

Quote Originally Posted by The Ogdru Jahad View Post
    I got an alienware m15x, don't waste your money. If you want a gaming rig, build a desktop computer. Where overclocking it won't overheat it and have it rape itself. If you get an alienware for convenience in laptop form. You are in the wrong place. The laptops are bulky as hell, it's like a tank. I have so many issues with mine.
    M14x is actually quite a bit smaller than the old M15x. Plus the OP already has a desktop.

lowering the memory will lower the processor to Intel® Core™ i5 2410M 2.3GHz (2.9GHz w/Turbo Boost, 3MB Cache) is that still good? (just trying to lower the price a lil lol)

lowering the memory will lower the processor to Intel® Core™ i5 2410M 2.3GHz (2.9GHz w/Turbo Boost, 3MB Cache) is that still good? (just trying to lower the price a lil lol)
    Then we apparantly can't access the same configurator ;o
    I personally have the i5-2410m in my laptop, and it's a good CPU. The i7-2630QM is obviously better, though.

Then we apparantly can't access the same configurator ;o
    I personally have the i5-2410m in my laptop, and it's a good CPU. The i7-2630QM is obviously better, though.
    it said that the i7 required a 1600Mhz

it said that the i7 required a 1600Mhz
    It doesn't. I just checked, and it says so. I'd say it's just a scam to force money out of you. :P I've seen plenty laptops with 1333MHz memory and i7-2630QM.

the one i built myself (with the Intel® Core™ i5 2410M 2.3GHz (2.9GHz w/Turbo Boost, 3MB Cache) is $50 less than the one with the Intel® Core™ i7 2630QM 2.0GHz (2.9GHz w/Turbo Boost, 6MB Cache). But, the one with the i5 has a 3.0GB DDR3 NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 555M using NVIDIA Optimus™ technology.

Idk which would be more worth it.

the one i built myself (with the Intel® Core™ i5 2410M 2.3GHz (2.9GHz w/Turbo Boost, 3MB Cache) is $50 less than the one with the Intel® Core™ i7 2630QM 2.0GHz (2.9GHz w/Turbo Boost, 6MB Cache). But, the one with the i5 has a 3.0GB DDR3 NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 555M using NVIDIA Optimus™ technology.

Idk which would be more worth it.
    The extra VRAM is basically.. Well, it won't do anything for you unless you add in extra screens or up the resolution.
    Choose 1.5GiB VRAM. More won't do it for you, and the most demanding game I know of needds like 1.4 (crysis 2) in highest settings.
    I'd still opt for the 2630QM, esp if the difference is only 50USD.

The extra VRAM is basically.. Well, it won't do anything for you unless you add in extra screens or up the resolution.
    Choose 1.5GiB VRAM. More won't do it for you, and the most demanding game I know of needds like 1.4 (crysis 2) in highest settings.
    I'd still opt for the 2630QM, esp if the difference is only 50USD.
    Alright thanks a bunch!

May i suggest one thing other than an alienware. Alienware's are good and all, but as mentioned are a little bit more buck than bang. If i was going to buy a laptop i would most certainly go with a Sager NP8130. The link is here from Xoticpc.com. http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np8130-...wconfigure=yes. Xoticpc has great reviews and ratings and is a great website to buy from.
    i have no signature, because carrots.