Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lobstarrr View Post
    Since you didn't get the message the first time, let me make it clear:

PVP GEAR IS BAD FOR PVE, GET IT INTO YOUR THICK SKULL.
    Harsh but this man does speak the truth on this philosophical matter

wtf are u guys saying... the more bear tanks on the queue the better... bring back that shit

i have the most fun on my bear tank... druids are the best niggas

Quote Originally Posted by Acholon View Post
    No.

Has to be longer so: Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
    You people are retarded. For a bear tank agi/stam/armor are the biggest worries, after that, if one of the secondary stats isn't crit of mastery you're just as well off with resil in its place.

I really shouldn't have to go into the fact that the 365 gear was better than a couple of pieces of the actual feral T11 set due to blizzard being retarded and putting haste all over the fscking place. In fact, if I recall correctly the optimal raid gear @ 359 level for a bear had you wearing the 365 pvp chest or gloves depending on what you had.

I've spent a long time playing a druid, years of all specs. I recently quit WoW, but thats another matter altogether. Here is what I have to say about bear gear, take it or leave it.

Raiding as a bear isn't really any better or worse than raiding as any of the other tanks. If you aren't in a group min/maxing your roster and you're in a raiding group that, while may min/max personally, take the best raiders they have, you're fine as a bear.

As for being a bear with PvP gear? My major advise to you is to avoid it whenever possible.

The Reforge priority is as follows, from least wanted to most wanted:

Haste
    Hit / Expertise (if beyond soft cap)
    Crit >= Expertise (if below soft cap)
    Mastery (Only reforge away from Mastery if it is the only secondary available

This means for PvP gear you'd try to pickup the things that have mastery. But, instead of reforging the secondary stat into something useful (dodge), you'd instead be reforging the very useful stat mastery into it. It's basically a large part of your gear that would be wasted itemization.

Your best bet is going to be to run heroics to try to pickup relevent gear from the heroics/badges. I couldn't tell you what that is right now since I no longer play. If you are having a really hard time replacing a green, or a crappy blue, by all means, take a good PvP piece to replace it, but do not let that piece stagnate in that spot. You should never feel complacent with PvP gear as PvE gear. And you never want a lot of it, but, it can be useful filler while you get the other gear.

The man above me (Ironhandx) who said that if it isn't mastery, it may as well be resil, is completely wrong. Having something other than resil means you can reforge that item instead of reforging off your mastery. Crit helps your savage defense uptime, hit and expertise, while not -amazing- are viable threat stats and beat nothing, same with haste.

If anyone tells you that resil is the same, they obviously aren't really min/maxing and are just trying to get by.

TLDR: You can get away with using PvP pieces to fill in gear slots where you cant find good PvE, but replace them ASAP

FORGIVE ME, I did not real all of the posts but I read the OP and a few, comming from a 2/7 HM bear tank and having done the research already some of the ilvl 365 PVP gear is proven better than the equivalent 359 PVE slot. Secondary stats for bears are exactly that, secondary. Haste is useless and all crit does is help out our mastery. Mastery is the only secondary stat giving 2 shits about. All that said, The difference in Agility and Stamina more than make up for the wasted resilience. With the pvp gear at 371 it makes it even better than before.

I would suggest downloading Rawr and putting your character in, you will then be able to determine what slots would be best filled with PVP pieces.
    Incomming Flame: ALL of the normal firelands content is tankable with the new ilvl 371 pvp honor gear, reforge to mastery and laugh at the other classes that cannot viably use pvp gear in pve.

@Giethra The default settings on RAWR model only TTL (time to live) this giving anything with larger stam pools a higher rating.
    I'll grant that all of the normal firelands content is tankable in pvp gear, but its something they should shy away from.

As of right now, some pieces are better, some are not. But do take the time to model your RAWR to included more than just TTL, which is mostly obsolete in normal firelands.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Blznsmri View Post
    Resilience is a wasted stat as it only affects player damage.

I hated leveling my bear before swipe, it was the only tanking class that I had to tab target to hold AoE threat.
    You never played Pre-wotlk...did you..

10+ Year Old Account
    I will be tanking in my 371 gear just fine. Would never do it on pally, war, or DK though.

It is not preferred, but it will do just fine as an OT until heroic FLs.
    I like sandwiches

Hmmm, seems like most players just blindly follow the "don't use PvP gear mentality" without wanting to look into it at all. : /

I could definitively see a lot of PvP gear being better than stuff found in heroics.

Deleted
    Bold, capslock and larger size won't help your opinion become the truth, just prove it with math.

I did the calculations for my feral a while back because i wanted to know what turns out better.

http://chardev.org/?profile=136793 ilvl 353: 48k armor (64.8% reduce), 147k life, 39.9% dodge, 36.3% crit, 25 exp, 6.5% haste, 1.6% hit, 18200 attackpower, 13.58 mastery
    http://chardev.org/?profile=136794 ilvl 365: 50k armor (65.95% reduce), 155k life, 41.3% dodge, 35.4% crit, 3 exp, 2.3% haste, 3% hit, 19600 attackpower, 12.21 mastery

It's actually quite good! You get more avoidance, hitpoints, bigger SD-shields (thanks to additional attackpower) and migitation via armor while having slightly less aggro (353: 85.6% chance to not connect versus 76% in 365 pvp gear). You should remember that you actually can reforge for dodge on pvp gear, but you won't have a neat offensive oriented stat as well. Oh and about raiding gear:

http://chardev.org/?profile=147984 ilvl 359 49k armor (65.38% reduce), 151k life, 40.19% dodge, 35.77% crit, 2 exp, 3% haste, 2.5% hit, 18700 attackpower, 21.84 mastery

Only thing outstanding here is the high amount of mastery for this collocation. And with the 371 (384) gear now avaible it should shift even more in favor of pvp gear.

For feral tanks PvP gear is viable since Tier 5 content (with some exceptions to be fair), i can remember our feral tanking Brutallus with it back in the day just fine.
    Last edited by mmoc9d5efa7d44; 2011-07-09 at 02:47 AM.

good luck holding aggro with 3 expertise

Quote Originally Posted by Affectionate View Post
    good luck holding aggro with 3 expertise
    Funny you say that. I tank 6/13 with two expertise and 1.5% hit. I don't see why people think you need any form of hit or expertise. Hit the right buttons more and stop macro'ing maul to everything.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mystile View Post
    Funny you say that. I tank 6/13 with two expertise and 1.5% hit. I don't see why people think you need any form of hit or expertise. Hit the right buttons more and stop macro'ing maul to everything.
    Because these people only run 5 mans and never see their vengeance stack high enough to keep bosses stuck to them ^_^

I cleared 9/13 with 3 expertise and 1% hit, i cleared firelands with this too - but if i step into a 5 man heroic, nothing want's to stick to me

||My Work || Sig by the awesome Soko! ||

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blznsmri View Post
    Resilience is a wasted stat as it only affects player damage.

I hated leveling my bear before swipe, it was the only tanking class that I had to tab target to hold AoE threat.
    luckily bear swipe's at 18 now huh? lol

PVP GEAR IS BAD FOR END-GAME/SRS PVE, GET IT INTO YOUR THICK SKULL.
    fixed, depending on your class.. you can do decent DPS with PvP gear on several classes on entry-raids.. ofc it'd be better to just farm T11 but still it's fine.
    Last edited by Yotei; 2011-07-09 at 03:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ammeg View Post
    Because these people only run 5 mans and never see their vengeance stack high enough to keep bosses stuck to them ^_^

I cleared 9/13 with 3 expertise and 1% hit, i cleared firelands with this too - but if i step into a 5 man heroic, nothing want's to stick to me
    When I do a heroic I throw on Left Eye of Rajh. The extra expertise is more than enough, and the ~1700 agility proc is always nice. No tank should have one set of gear, they should have multiple items to swap out on the fly, from rings, necks, and trinkets.

Also, when this expansion was starting, I used a fair amount of pvp gear right off the bat, most of it was replaced with 346 blues though. It's not the best, but it's still a LOT better than using random quest items. And this was just ilvl 352 pvp gear, obviously the 371 items now will be quite nice in comparison to heroic items, and even a few of the less-optimized 359 epics (think Wildhammer/Dragonmaw gloves with haste and crit). Bears using pvp gear has been around for ages. I used Guardian (season 4?) bracers for tanking because the resilience meant I never had to gem for defense, plus pvp gear has always been a few item levels above the current tier, making their stats a decent amount higher, with just secondary stats lacking slightly, due to resilience. Anyone saying not to tank with pvp gear is incredibly wrong.
    Last edited by Mystile; 2011-07-09 at 03:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Insignia View Post
    what about tanking or even dps in Za/ZG with current S10 honor pvp armor?
    Most people have made the relevant comments regarding wearing PvP gear for bear tanking; however, as an anecdotal story, I accidentally wore my newbie PvP set through a ZA today (the 358 gear) and didn't even notice it over my usual PvE 363 set. Nobody else did either, was moderately surprising... there'd be no issue with the S10 371 gear.

Deleted
    Why do you reforge mastery to dodge? WHY

Deleted
    almost all 371 pvp items are a major upgrade over 359 pve gear as we scale really well with agility/stamina/armor and dodge which all only depand on the itemlevel. dont forget to include your 2 piece setbonus into your calculations (+70 agility).

not to mention the itemlevel 384 gear which doesnt only have badass stats but also a robe compared to the ugyl t12 shirt.
    (althought the t12 robe is incredibly good itemized...)

10+ Year Old Account

Quoted for Truth (qft was too short )
    ___________( •̪●) --(FOR THE ALLIANCE!)
    ░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▃
    ▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂
    I███████████████████].
    ◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ammeg View Post

u dont need expertise and u dont need hit , u only NEED 2 sec of aggro time. Then there glued to u.

anyways i did a bit of playing with my gear , and i only kept my 2 pc s10(9) hands and shoulders for the +70 agi and the cd decrease on the gloves.
    also got pvp neck and pvp bracers, i reforged all my secondary stats to dodge(even the ones that dont got mastery) and in HC's tell the dps to stop dps for 2-3 secs and ur golden
    i never loose aggro(theres on place tho that want u to go expertise tho the dragonhawk boss, but u can also pop ur cd's when the dragonhawks come)
    and like in every group theres a hunter he can and should md to you(their not all dps horny)

The only gear u shouldnt neglect for raiding or hc's is mastery/crit gear,
    Last edited by PhXn; 2011-07-09 at 11:24 AM.
    Get in my Belly!