Deleted

A cheap smartphone

Yo,

I'm helping somebody find a good smartphone which primarily will be used for surfing. A good/decent camera is a huge plus/borderline a must have. Most smartphones provide the basic features just well, and we're not looking for something with cutting great specs. We basically just want a cheap - but not bad - smartphone.

Anybody got suggestions on models? Could an outdated "cutting edge"-model be a better choice than a new "cheap" smartphone?

Regards,
    Iyona

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh so subjectional to personal opinion....

Not to mention what contract you plan to have with your wireless carrier. Can't you get a cheap £10/month contract and a free smartphone? (thats what I did in England)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Djinni View Post
    Oh so subjectional to personal opinion....

Not to mention what contract you plan to have with your wireless carrier. Can't you get a cheap £10/month contract and a free smartphone? (thats what I did in England)
    Yea well I suppose I'm primarily looking for somebody who's got a cheap smartphone he/she's fond of.

Getting a "free smartphone" isn't really a solution as the price plan changes depending on which phone you want.

10+ Year Old Account
    you can change the price plan to whatever you want, but depending on the phone you intend to get you may have to pay extra for the phone up front rather than get it free.

My Nokia X6 cost me £90 on the day I got it with a £10/month contract with an 18month term.

Anyway good smartphones to go for that are easy to browse the web with are:
    Samsung Galaxy S2
    HTC Desire
    HTC Hero
    Sony Ericsson Xperia
    Last edited by Djinni; 2011-07-08 at 04:58 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    HTC Desire Z used on ebay is fairly cheap. Excellent phone too. It's what I use.
    red panda red panda red panda!

Quote Originally Posted by Djinni View Post
    Anyway good smartphones to go for that are easy to browse the web with are:
    Samsung Galaxy S2
    WTB US release

Well depends what you mean by cheap, but i got my iphone 4 for 250 euro, which i find rather cheap, and i rly like it when it comes to taking picture or browsing the web, ofc all other feature are awesome on it, but you mostly asked about browsing and camera. Tried the new galaxy, a friend has it, it seemed pretty good, but think the price on it is quite high atm.

10+ Year Old Account
    By far the best camera phone I've used is the Nokia X6, (taken some really great pictures out the side of a car moving at 90mph with practically no blur)

I got the new HTC Evo 3D, (4g, 1.2ghz dual core with 1gb ram, thing is a monster) with sprint for only $189, and it had no deposit.

Deleted
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Verizon-Motorola-Droid-A855-Smart-Phone-/290585142160?pt=Cell_Phones&hash=item43a8396390#ht_1312wt_838

T
    hat's about as cheap as I would be willing to go with a Smart phone. It's 2nd hand but a pretty decent handset.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrena View Post
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Verizon-Motorola-Droid-A855-Smart-Phone-/290585142160?pt=Cell_Phones&hash=item43a8396390#ht_1312wt_838

T
    hat's about as cheap as I would be willing to go with a Smart phone. It's 2nd hand but a pretty decent handset.
    As I said, I got my EVO 3d for only $50 more then that. It depends on if your friend is looking for, or already has a plan with a carrier. If he just wants a phone for only wifi some of the other ones posted would be cheaper, but if he wants a plan, sprint has very large coverage of 4g and 3g, and the phone is less then $200 with a plan. Highly recommended, with its bazooka of a processor, 1gig of ram, and 4.3 screen it is perfect for quick and easy web navigation. You can also play Order and Chaos ( http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/order...414664715?mt=8 ) on it, there is an android port, for when he is away from wow and needs an MMO fix.

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    I just want to say, after getting my first phone (HTC Touch Pro 2) on a contract... I will never be getting a phone on a contract ever again. I will only buy em straight up, which I did with my Desire Z.
    red panda red panda red panda!

Deleted
    It's not a matter of a limited budget or so, the intention is basically to spend as little money as possible on the phone as she's not very picky. As long as it packs comfortable surfing, a good camera and a not-too-high battery usage it's good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Iyona View Post
    It's not a matter of a limited budget or so, the intention is basically to spend as little money as possible on the phone as she's not very picky. As long as it packs comfortable surfing, a good camera and a not-too-high battery usage it's good enough.
    Samsung Galaxy S. Not the S2, but the first one. It's a year old, but still very good and significantly cheaper than the newer phones. Great screen, better battery life than any of the alternatives in that tier, and a decent 5 MP camera. It doesn't have a front-facing camera, so you can't video call, but that's about the only drawback. Super AMOLED screen speaks for itself; Samsung has always been at the top of the game when it comes to display quality.

The independent development community is also thriving for that phone, so if you ever feel like you want her to get the most out of her phone with a custom ROM, it's very easy to do because Samsung releases developer tools and firmwares to make custom-ROM-ing very easy and painless.

Quote Originally Posted by Iyona View Post
    Ah, its a she. Well, in that case, get the one with the best camera so she can send you good quality pics. Then you can share them with us too.