DBAN taking 15 DAYS to finish?

So I finally got DBAN up and running on my rig after copying all my needed files to an external hard drive. The hard drive in my computer has 1 TB of storage. According to DBAN the remaining time (which I'm guessing is an estimate) is 364 hours...which is over 15 DAYS. Is this a realistic time frame for a drive of this size or have I done something wrong?

I'll list out the info on the DBAN screen:
    Method: DoD Short
    Verify: Last Pass
    Rounds: 1
    Runtime: 00:19:29
    Remaining: 364:57:45
    Load Averages: 1.00 0.97 0.70
    Throughput: 3802 KB/s
    Errors: 0

I'm really hoping I don't have to wait 2 weeks to use my computer again. I used DBAN on my 200GB Laptop and it only took a few hours...

help!

The DoD pass is 3 rounds total isn't it? Yeah I don't think it should take that long.

That's a good sign that the hard drive itself could be dying.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Usually if a drive is giving you an estimate of that length it is due to the program encountering read errors on the drive. Which in most cases means the drive needs to be replaced. Your best bet is to cancel the data copy and use a program like HDDScan to test for read errors. If errors are present you're going to need to use a different program like Unstoppable Copier to copy the disk errors and all.

/groan

How do I cancel this? (btw it says it's 1 round, 3 passes).

I haven't noticed any problems with this hard drive before, but it could be dying?

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Yeah there is definitely an issue if the program says it is going to take 300+ hours to copy 1TB.

He's already copied his information, he's trying to wipe it clean (I'm assuming to be sure there are 0 viruses/so it'll be a completely fresh install/etc.) using DBAN.

I work at a laptop repair shop (LaptopXchange), and anytime we try to DBAN a hard drive and it gives us a time greater than a day or so (using the DoD 3 pass) we trash it and put a new one in it before selling it (so that we don't have customers buying a laptop and complaining that it died a few weeks later).

You should be able to just stop DBAN (should be able to even straight up turn it off if you want). You can either just proceed to use it for a while (just keep a good backup for when it does die) or go ahead and replace it.

Just because it's "dying" doesn't mean it can't last another few months or even a year before it finally fails. You'll just get worse and worse performance out of it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Maconi View Post
    Just because it's "dying" doesn't mean it can't last another few months or even a year before it finally fails. You'll just get worse and worse performance out of it.
    You sound like doctor diagnosing someone with cancer.

Quote Originally Posted by Prixie View Post
    You sound like doctor diagnosing someone with cancer.
    LOL... you're kinda right. Although that's a depressing way to think about it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Maconi View Post
    LOL... you're kinda right. Although that's a depressing way to think about it.
    I'm sad at the moment so that makes sense.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Oddly enough I use the cancer analogy when I find a motherboard with bloated capacitors.

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    Throughput: 3802 KB/s
    This is why it will take 15 days.

I wiped a 250mb WD Caviar built in 1993 a few weeks ago, and it had a higher data rate than that... (wiped in about 3minutes lol)

It could be the drive itself, could also be a bad cable, or the SATA controller.
    red panda red panda red panda!