Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Blu-Ray drive - worth getting for new PCs?

My Notebook has had a Blu-Ray drive for almost 2 years now and to be honest, I don't think I've used it once (as a BD player that is. I've use it to read DVDs plenty of times).

I just seems like software is either delivered via the web or DVDs in 99% of cases. The only place where DVDs have achieved a noticeable market penetration is in the home-theater in combination with Full HD TVs.

That begs the question, do you think we'll see Video-Games distributed via Blu-Ray anytime soon? Most console games already are but it seems like PC games are still mostly DVD only.

I know Blu-Ray drives have become quite affordable today, costing around 60-80 USD, but do you think we'll see Blu-Rays hit the PC market in the foreseeable future?

10+ Year Old Account
    No, we won't. Since most PC games now operate without the disc in the drive bay, it would have virtually no difference. Also, as far as I know, the data transfer rate for Blu-ray isn't any different, and that's what counts.

But I fully recommend it for videos. I love Blu-ray video. x3

15+ Year Old Account
    Blu-Ray drives are so dirt cheap now there's really no reason not to have the option available to you, should you ever need it.

I bought a Blu-Ray drive 2 years ago with my then new computer. Haven't used it once, but it may become usefull later.
    Since digital distribution seems the norm these days, Blu-Ray won't come soon for PC-games. Only use for PC would be watching HD-movies via the disc.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    If you don't spend the required $20-30 or whatever insane amount needed on BluRay movies.... then no point in buying a drive. I know they look a lot nicer and all, but I'm waiting for the prices to drop a bit more.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    blue ray drive are finally down to DVD price ( $20 per) but it looks like the closer we get to universal wireless the less we need disks and the more we need wireless downloading of movies and content onto ssd's/hdds

Whats the next upgrade after blue ray? would it be movies and games sold by memory sticks?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Funt Case View Post
    Whats the next upgrade after blue ray? would it be movies and games sold by memory sticks?
    off the internet via wireless. or cat6 cable lines/fibre optic

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, if you've never used your lappy's player, you'd just be wasting your money.

How do I know this? I put a Blu-Ray player in my current PC...

pretty much only worth it if its in your HTPC, or if your burning lots of blue ray disk.

No, I don't see any reason to have an optical drive in any computer*.

* = that isn't a HTPC

EDIT - brainfart, forgot to add the HTPC-part.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisgoat View Post
    No, I don't see any reason to have an optical drive in any computer*.

* = that isn't a HTPC

EDIT - brainfart, forgot to add the HTPC-part.
    I thought you went to sleep....
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    I thought you went to sleep....
    So did I. I just had to try out BFBC2 first. And solve why I couldn't install this so-called "Steam" on my computer. And well. No one was online at BFBC2 at 5am ._.

10+ Year Old Account
    I use an optical drive to download the CDs I buy to iTunes.. I only buy CDs so I can play them in my car.. I'm too lazy to plug in my iPhone every time I was to listen in the car. Other than that? I have no use for an optical drive. Everything is online
    i7 930 @ 4.0Ghz | Sapphire HD5970 w/ Accelero Xtreme | ASUS P6X58D Premium | 32GB Kingston DDR3-1600
    Xonar Essence STX | 128GB Vertex 4 | AX750 | Xigmatek Elysium
    Laing D5 | XSPC RX 360mm | Koolance RP-452X2 | EK-Supreme HF
    Dell 3007WFP-HC | Samsung BX2350 | Das Keyboard Model S Ultimate | Razer Naga Molten | Sennheiser HD650

I got a bluray reader on my new computer. Its worth it because it reads BluRay, DVD, and CD. I have a pretty decent setup to where if my husband were on the PS3 (we watch our movies on that too) that I could just go to the computer room plop in my big comfy chair and watch what I wanted to! Its worth the extra 100 (maybe) if you have it to spare. It also came in handy while he and I were moving and didnt have our TV to watch! Yay for movies!

10+ Year Old Account
    No unless you won't back up any your media to be played on a device that can't load a USB drive. More and more content that is delievered to computers is digital, backs ups are stored on portable HDDs or thumb drives. Unless you have or plan to start a collection of bluray movies or have a stringent data cap, I would skip out on the drive. High quality movies can now be delivered digitally even to a television, what can't be streamed can be placed on a HDD.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzykins View Post
    No, we won't. Since most PC games now operate without the disc in the drive bay, it would have virtually no difference. Also, as far as I know, the data transfer rate for Blu-ray isn't any different, and that's what counts.

But I fully recommend it for videos. I love Blu-ray video. x3
    data transfer rate different than what? dvd? blu-ray has higher data transfer rates. 1x blu-ray is around 36 mbps and 1x dvd is around 10.8mbps
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray_Disc
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dvd

For gaming, wouldn't recommend it. If you watch a lot of movies through your computer than go for it

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    So did I. I just had to try out BFBC2 first. And solve why I couldn't install this so-called "Steam" on my computer. And well. No one was online at BFBC2 at 5am ._.
    Pfft, I can be on at your 5am :P
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

Why can't you install Steam? And should've told me 2 days ago when BFBC2 was on sale there :P

Like I said before, I have a Blu-Ray player in my PC. And I used it very well (not the Blu-Ray part though) I have this collection of 150 albums at home and want all music on my PC also. Most of these albums are 2+ CD's... But getting a BR-player is worth it if you plan on playing BR-discs in the (near) future. Mine cost €90 2.5 years ago and also can play HD-DVD :P

Note, heavy opinion here.

Only if you get it for 0 cost to yourself, Sony really doesn't deserve to get our money. On that note, you wouldn't even need the drive, for obvious reasons.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2
    Intel PRO/1000 PT Server NIC | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair TX750
    OCZ Vertex2 60GB | WD Velociraptor 300GB x 2 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 500GB
    EK-FB SR2 - Acetal+Nickel | EK-Supreme HF - Acetal x 2 | EK-FC5970 Acetal x 2
    Thermochill TA120.4 x 3 | Thermochill TA120.3 | Swiftech MCP655 x 2