10+ Year Old Account

Multi or Turbo OC

Hey guys, been doing a lot of reading lately as I am about to do some overclocking on my system. I have read some on the turbo overclock instead of the normal multiplier overclock. It makes sense to me as a beginner as far as what it brings in ease of the overclock, for example jumping to 4.7 only when needed and still having everything on auto with the only changes being the wattage for the turbo and the turbo multiplier itself. I could only find a few articles that provided any relevant information on the turbo overclock vs the standard, so I am trying to find out "the good the bad the ugly". Could anyone please give me a little more input on the subject. For example I am new to overclocking, so would this be a easier way to get the performance bumps I would like on a much more simple process. What are the ups and downs that you guys know about when it comes to turbo overclocking vs the standard way. Now I know in some cases for smaller overclocks you can some times even get away with just changing the multiplier / voltage etc. or in some cases people have gone up to 4.7 stable with just changing the multiplier alone. I know changing the multiplier etc. can be just as easy in some cases as the turbo method. What I really want to know is what major differences / benefits / downsides is there between the two types of overclocking. Of course this is in reference to my current components if that info is needed. Let me know what you guys think and thank you in advance for your help!!!!
    CM 690II Advanced / Lamptron FC-6 / Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3P-B3 / G Skill Sniper Series (2x4)8GB 1.25V DDR3 1600 / CM Hyper 212+ / I5 2500k stock / 2x MSI HD 6950 2GB ( Reference / Stock ) Crossfire / Corsair TX850 V2 ES / Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 7200RPM / Sony CD/DVD / Windows 7
    Overclocking almost done! 4.4 GHZ still working on it!! Wait.......where is all that smoke coming from?

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I at first used the auto-overclocker on my P67 motherboard, which yours would probably do something very similar, since they're both the 1155 socket and so far it hasn't been expanded too much other than having a few different chipsets.

Anyways! So mine was originally changing the BCLK to a touchy 103.1 MHZ or so, which from what I've read you really don't want to play with on the 1155 CPUs.

What I suggest is simply put the BCLK (bus speed) to 100.00 MHZ and using the multiplier to screw around. I just have mine at 4.0 GHZ, an overclock that didn't require I change the voltages at all. However, if you're planning to go up to a staggering 4.7GHZ for instance, which I believe WILL require some voltage tweaking, then ignore this post other than about the BCLK and you'll probably get Fuzzy or Xuvial or some other OC champ in here to tell you more about how to do it.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    Ya I will be staying away from the Easytune programs and the like, I will be doing everything in the bios. Not really looking for some one to tell me how to do it, I am mainly looking for the differences between a turbo multiplier overclock vs changing the regular multiplier. Ya if I decide to go the normal route I will probably try to do some multiplier only changes to see how far I can go without changing other items first then hit up voltage etc. I am sure it will be an adventure hehe.
    Last edited by naadra; 2011-07-09 at 03:06 AM.
    CM 690II Advanced / Lamptron FC-6 / Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3P-B3 / G Skill Sniper Series (2x4)8GB 1.25V DDR3 1600 / CM Hyper 212+ / I5 2500k stock / 2x MSI HD 6950 2GB ( Reference / Stock ) Crossfire / Corsair TX850 V2 ES / Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 7200RPM / Sony CD/DVD / Windows 7
    Overclocking almost done! 4.4 GHZ still working on it!! Wait.......where is all that smoke coming from?

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    If you're wondering if you should just have it typically idling at 1.6GHZ and then turboing up to x.xGHZ speed as needed, I suggest that. I think most anyone with a Sandybridge has theirs set like that.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    Ya that is what overclocking the turbo multiplier basically does for you. There is a way to have it do that by overclocking the standard way as well. I am just looking for the differences between doing it the two different ways benefits, good, bad stuff etc. Like for example why would you do it the one way when you could do it the other way as well? Why one way instead of the other? etc

-----------------------------------------------------------

I was looking for an actual Intel article on it, but I really could not find anything. Some of the actual board makers had some info about doing it on their specific boards etc. ( overclocking ) but it was just kinda general info nothing really specific OC is so easy on our board etc heh.
    Last edited by naadra; 2011-07-09 at 03:20 AM. Reason: added lower statement

10+ Year Old Account
    Just an FYI, no chip overclocks the same so saying "your chip will require" is a pretty invalid statement. Also the VRM Frequency can go up to 500Khz and is still within specifications for the voltage regulators. The only safe and valid way to overclock any chip is to work at your own pace since as stated no chip overclocks even remotely the same. The vast demographic of 2500K's and 2600K's take under 1.4v for 4.2-4.8GHz while going above 4.8GHz typically takes 1.4-1.5v varying on the motherboard, quality of silicon and other things such as power supplies, power ripple, etc.

Here's an extensive list of VARIOUS users' overclocks and their voltages, temperatures, RAM, cooling and even a link to the post with their CPU-Z info.
    https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=0AldAG0FCQxM-dHFiVnRKMkdoT3BackRucFN2SjVhYkE&w=110&h=650

You will quickly notice if your CPU is capable of a lot more if you work your way up on your own.

(Not trying to undermind anyone, but simply stating the best method for attaining the best and most efficient overclock per chip)
    Last edited by Saithes; 2011-07-09 at 03:40 AM.
    Intel Core i7 5820K @ 4.2GHz | Asus X99 Deluxe Motherboard | 16GB Crucial DDR4 2133 | MSI GTX 980 4G GAMING | Corsair HX750 Gold | 500GB Samsung 840 EVO

10+ Year Old Account
    I saw my name mentioned, so I figured I'd drop a line. I think the easiest way to give your SandyBridge platform is to adjust the voltage and turbo multiplier. There's no reason to adjust anything else unless you start getting into higher numbers, really.

And I have to echo what Saithes said. I've heard of kids looking at someone else's clock, copying their voltage and multiplier, and ruining their CPU.

AFAIK, you can't overclock the non-turbo multiplier on the K series processor (i.e., the 3.3GHz for a 2500k) you can increase the BCLK, but you can't get very far with that since so many components are tied to that clock and you run into instabilities fairly quickly (I think 107MHz is the highest I've ever seen, so only 7% increase ) and most people recommend leaving it a 100MHz. At least, I know you can't do that with a P8P67 Pro, I can't speak for other motherboard BIOS's. I can turn the "default mode" x33 multiplier down, but not up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adappy View Post
    AFAIK, you can't overclock the non-turbo multiplier on the K series processor (i.e., the 3.3GHz for a 2500k) you can increase the BCLK, but you can't get very far with that since so many components are tied to that clock and you run into instabilities fairly quickly (I think 107MHz is the highest I've ever seen, so only 7% increase ) and most people recommend leaving it a 100MHz. At least, I know you can't do that with a P8P67 Pro, I can't speak for other motherboard BIOS's. I can turn the "default mode" x33 multiplier down, but not up.
    You can now.. It was fixed awhile back. It just prevents EIST from functioning if I recall. What people miss is the fact that the multipliers are insanely higher in comparison to last generations which makes up for the lower BCLK and allows decimal based increments to provide higher clock generation.

It's actually recommended by Intel and most all of the mobo manufacturers to keep Turbo, EIST, C1E, C3/C6 enabled since Sandybridge was developed to overclock with them enabled.
    Last edited by Saithes; 2011-07-09 at 03:54 AM.
    Intel Core i7 5820K @ 4.2GHz | Asus X99 Deluxe Motherboard | 16GB Crucial DDR4 2133 | MSI GTX 980 4G GAMING | Corsair HX750 Gold | 500GB Samsung 840 EVO

Quote Originally Posted by Saithes View Post
    You can now.. It was fixed awhile back. It just prevents EIST from functioning if I recall. What people miss is the fact that the multipliers are insanely higher in comparison to last generations which makes up for the lower BCLK and allows decimal based increments to provide higher clock generation.
    Hmm, indeed I can, looks like it disables turbo mode though (Turbo Mode "enabled" button gets greyed out).
    Nevermind me then

10+ Year Old Account
    Ya I was looking to get about 4.5 when needed, if it was super stable and very low temps and volts I would probably press it a little more if there was easily more headroom. On my board the average voltage for 4.4-4.7ghz range was 1.3 to 1.35 volts ( average of course from reading ). Mainly the thing I noticed about the turbo multiplier was people were changing it like this / changing the turbo ratio for each individual core to 4.5 then changing the "turbo power limit wattage" to 200ish watts , enabled LLC and then changed the CPU vcore up some to 1.4 or whatever was working for them. Everything else was left on auto. / Is this the typical type of process for the turbo OC? like I said could not find too many articles for comparison etc.

When you say non turbo at auto, do you mean CPU clock ratio? ie 3.3 ( 33x ) for a i5 2500k ? Temp wise I should be fine I am at 24-30 degrees under normal use, depending if i want my room little warmer or cooler that day heh. Its been a few since I ran prime95 but I believe none of the cores went over 45ish degrees under load I think and that was before all the fans etc. I have my hyper 212 and 8 High speed Yate loons that make me feel like I am on the runway lol.

Thanks for taking the time to type all that out. Reading through what you stated sounds similar to what I just typed. It seems everyone does it a little bit differently and that is the problem when it comes to first time overclockers, every article you read will tell you to do it a totally different way boooo!

So taking a look at both of these methods would say going the turbo multiplier route is the better way to overclock vs the standard way of changing the CPU clock ratio etc?

sorry if typing is sloppy its getting late heh

missed a few of your posts while i was typing this and taking the dog out etc. so sorry if I missed something in my post etc

---------- Post added 2011-07-09 at 12:17 AM ----------

Ok, so I will go with turbo multipliers and the v core adjustments. Should I still increase the Turbo power limit wattage and change the LLC, VRM, and PLL as Synthaxx suggested? I will be trying for 4.5 and most likely if I achieve that and have no problems I will probably leave it at that.

10+ Year Old Account
    What Synthaxx recommended is optimal for achieving a high clock. You really shouldn't need to dick with anything aside from the voltage and turbo multiplier, but it all depends on your chip. I think I got on 4.3 or so purely with voltage and multiplier adjustments before I started bluescreening and troubleshooting.

10+ Year Old Account
    Alright, thanks again. I will start out with the simple voltage and turbo multiplier then and go from there!

Thanks again everyone