Thread: [TV] Torchwood

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by slagathor1995 View Post
    why did they have to base it in america
    Because without Starz (an American premium network) there would be no Season 4?

Quote Originally Posted by Notalent View Post
    Because without Starz (an American premium network) there would be no Season 4?
    Would that really have been a bad thing?
    Season 3 was an incredible ending. All the stories were wrapped up, everyone had legit reasons to quit.

Quote Originally Posted by pickley View Post
    Would that really have been a bad thing?
    Season 3 was an incredible ending. All the stories were wrapped up, everyone had legit reasons to quit.
    Is your feeling of European superiority worth letting a show that had just proved it could be amazing die?

Is your feeling of European superiority worth letting a show that had just proved it could be amazing die?
    Yes, because the show had actually ended, it was done. 4/5 were out of action, Jack was stuck in his own personal hell. It should have just ended like that.
    In the UK we like to stop our shows before they become terrible and boring... Well, generally we do :S
    Last edited by pickley; 2011-07-10 at 10:13 AM.

Yes, because the show had actually ended....
    In the UK we like to stop our shows before they become terrible and boring...
    It had ONE good season, sorry it was bad before s3. And now for the most part Davies has found out how to actually make Torchwood good. Sorry if now its terrible and ruined because it has a bigger budget then its ever had before and Davies has more creative control then hes ever had before, but its in America. I'm really sorry.

Also this is like arguing Firefly was cancelled at just the right time, no need for a season 2, it would just have been bad.

It had ONE good season, sorry it was bad before s3. And now for the most part Davies has found out how to actually make Torchwood good. Sorry if now its terrible and ruined because it has a bigger budget then its ever had before and Davies has more creative control then hes ever had before, but its in America. I'm really sorry.

Also this is like arguing Firefly was cancelled at just the right time, no need for a season 2, it would just have been bad.
    Can you blame me for being apprehensive about this? The US have a very bad track record when it comes to handling British shows...

Can you blame me for being apprehensive about this? The US have a very bad track record when it comes to handling British shows...
    This is "mostly" different. Most Americanized British shows involve them completely recasting the show and putting a new producer/director in the chair. Which yes, does result in the show being absolutely awful. The difference here is that its not an American version of Torchwood, it is Torchwood just set in America. Every actor the show could bring back is back, and Davies to my knowledge has more control then he ever had in the U.K since they don't have to worry about it being on network television (this has resulted in the U.K version and American version having different edits btw, American version edits out some British'isms while it has more graphic sexual actions being portrayed on screen). This show by all merits deserves a shot without the simple "stupid American version" worries. Rather the real worry is that Davies devolves back into the silliness he often employed in Doctor Who towards the end of his run there.

This is "mostly" different. Most Americanized British shows involve them completely recasting the show and putting a new producer/director in the chair. Which yes, does result in the show being absolutely awful. The difference here is that its not an American version of Torchwood, it is Torchwood just set in America. Every actor the show could bring back is back, and Davies to my knowledge has more control then he ever had in the U.K since they don't have to worry about it being on network television (this has resulted in the U.K version and American version having different edits btw, American version edits out some British'isms while it has more graphic sexual actions being portrayed on screen). This show by all merits deserves a shot without the simple "stupid American version" worries. Rather the real worry is that Davies devolves back into the silliness he often employed in Doctor Who towards the end of his run there.
    The British version was edited to remove graphic sexual actions? Because ive seen both, and the American one is the editted version.

Il give this new series a chance, if what you are saying is true about Davies still having control il watch.

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    RTD wrote and directed this series, He is also doing an American edit for Starz, and a UK edit for the BBC. I will be watching both because some things will be different in both.

Also with Starz taking the show it might last 4-10 years because if they get the viewership they will promote it across America, I saw an ad on a bus station near my Apartment. I live in Los Angeles.

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    So far so good, spoiler->Seeing Jack nearly die was really well acted, in fact the quality of acting and writing is awesome.<-spoiler

Quote Originally Posted by Gothicshark View Post
    So far so good, spoiler->Seeing Jack nearly die was really well acted, in fact the quality of acting and writing is awesome.<-spoiler
    The previous episode was actually written by one the Show House's writers, hence the very serious medical issues that came up. Also again hooray much bigger budget which allows them to afford big time writers.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm kinda annoyed that there isn't any fillers for the whole season. I really liked the random episodes in Torchwood and having story only episodes for the whole season is kinda annoying. For some shows that's great but for me i prefer the random episodes of the old torchwood with the story ones every now and then

10+ Year Old Account
    I find this new torchwood series quite horrible compared to the originals Oh and i am american just that the classic american tastes don't suite me(thus why i enjoy anime and british shows sooo much more).

Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    I find this new torchwood series quite horrible compared to the originals Oh and i am american just that the classic american tastes don't suite me(thus why i enjoy anime and british shows sooo much more).
    Bleh I guess you like episodic shows, actually makes your anime picks make a great deal of sense. Most people agree seasons 1 and 2 were terrible or at least very bland. Season 4 is following season 3's formula which is a more narrative driven season.

10+ Year Old Account
    Bleh I guess you like episodic shows, actually makes your anime picks make a great deal of sense. Most people agree seasons 1 and 2 were terrible or at least very bland. Season 4 is following season 3's formula which is a more narrative driven season.
    Actually you'd be surprised i like pretty much all anime. Take another look at my list. Just because some of the favorites i mention in my link are there doesn't mean i don't have alot more or enjoy shows with overarching plots. And TBH i have mainly seen season 1 & 2 i need to borrow 3 from a friend.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am really enjoying the new season, but it is moving pretty slow. The first two seasons were good, but a little bit too much like Doctor Who. The 3rd season was fantastic however and it seems most other people agree that it was the best. That is probably why they are sticking closer to the 3rd for this newest one.

15+ Year Old Account
    i love the new series of torchwood all i ask for is that they explain what happend to jack while he was in space i need details his character is to awsome to not tell us..lol

Quote Originally Posted by dahawk View Post
    i love the new series of torchwood all i ask for is that they explain what happend to jack while he was in space i need details his character is to awsome to not tell us..lol
    He probally just travelled around having lots of sex.

This IS Captain Jack we are talking about.

10+ Year Old Account
    He probally just travelled around having lots of sex.This IS Captain Jack we are talking about.
    Yep and why o found his condom comment so wrong in the latest episode that it wad an instant turnoff I mean this is jack fricking harkness here. Him using protection is like ragnaros sargeras and the titans sitting down for tea and brimless while discussing how peaceful the world is and all the races are dancing around them in la laland it just isn't right on soooo many levels.That amd it felt forced for his character to make him more American.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    Yep and why o found his condom comment so wrong in the latest episode that it wad an instant turnoff I mean this is jack fricking harkness here. Him using protection is like ragnaros sargeras and the titans sitting down for tea and brimless while discussing how peaceful the world is and all the races are dancing around them in la laland it just isn't right on soooo many levels.That amd it felt forced for his character to make him more American.
    To be honest, it could have had something to do with him just ruining his daughters life :S