Thread: New Lappy!

New Lappy!

So I'm buying a new lappy, and im in a debate between the high end mac book pro and an hp laptop, the hp laptop has one of the new i7;s and a 1gb graphics card, High end macbook pro has the same specs roughly, now I;ve been wanting to make the switch to apple for a long time, I used macs all through high school but never bought one, is this the time to do it, for anyone look at the websites the hp lappy is http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/...a2db4c2f8fen02 and the macbook pro is http://store.apple.com/ca/configure/...co=MjEyOTY4OTQ, no this is not an apple vs pc debate, this is a should i finally make the switch, this lappy is going to be used for wow, and valve games, such as cs. Which should i buy if either, or any other suggestions would be much appreciated. Budget isnt that important, but the more money i save the better. EDIT: must be 15inches or smaller i forgot this.

TL;DR: Link one or link two, or another suggestion.
    Last edited by bolverick; 2011-07-09 at 01:12 PM. Reason: forgot to add something

I want to say the HP would provide better performance, but I can't say for sure. However, my last gen Apple Laptop runs WoW on rather good setting while still maintaining a respectable FPS (however I'd drop some for raids, leaving the spell details up just so you can see them). I am aware I didn't really help at all lol.

Its hard, like I completely understand what you put, because its where my mind is lol.

Well for one, that Mac is twice as expensive as the HP computer. I am by no means a Mac hater (I have a 2010 13" Mac Book Pro, which I am very happy with), but that is a rather large price difference. I *think* the CPU in the Mac Book is slightly better. I hate it when they just say "Quad-core Intel i7"... main thing I'm going off of is 2GHz vs 2.2GHz (I'm fairly certain the Mac Book uses a 2nd generation Core i series processor like the HP), but they should be pretty close. The GPU is slightly better in the HP laptop, but again not a huge difference (6770M vs 6750M)
    If it was me, I'd get the HP because of the difference in price, but I can understand the desire to switch to a Mac.
    (This is why I got the cheapest Mac Book Pro when I needed a new laptop for school/Pro Tools use, but it doesn't work very well for gaming, so I wouldn't recommend it )

10+ Year Old Account
    Have a careful look at Apple, a friend of mine got 70% off his macbook pro last year just by waving his student id at them. And if your happy with the price of an Apple, and your used to them, I see no reason not to go for it. Unless there's something specifically tieing you into using a windows machine.

Deleted
    Do you want to spend $1100 to have the apple logo on the back of your laptop? if so, go for it. Otherwise i'd highly suggest the HP :P

Heh, they charge $420(£272) for 8GB of ram... I got mine for £55.65($89.37)
    Not to mention mine is 1600MHz and theirs is 1333MHz :P
    WHY DO PEOPLE BUY THEIR PRODUCTS!?

Quote Originally Posted by Djinni View Post
    Have a careful look at Apple, a friend of mine got 70% off his macbook pro last year just by waving his student id at them. And if your happy with the price of an Apple, and your used to them, I see no reason not to go for it. Unless there's something specifically tieing you into using a windows machine.
    WAT! it's meant to be 10%, and people have stopped doing it in my area =/ I have to resort to waving my NHS id instead.
    Last edited by mmoce7a0623b54; 2011-07-09 at 01:59 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adt View Post

WAT! it's meant to be 10%, and people have stopped doing it in my area =/ I have to resort to waving my NHS id instead.
    It was a Promo I think, (hence why he saw it in the first place) but same point, Apple does try and make life easy for students :P (sure it'd be easier to give every student an apple mac but hey :P they're a business anything "free" scares them.)