Deleted

email annoyance.

so i have a really annoying thing happening here... i have an email account (smtp/pop3 settings) linked to both an iphone and email client on the computer. microsoft outlook if it makes a difference. however, if i read an email on either device, the email disappears from the other device. this makes organizing impossible because if i view anything on the move i can't store it for later sorting on the computer.

is there a setting im missing somewhere that would solve this issue because it used to work fine on an old computer, with the same client and email settings. any help would be stellar, thanks!

10+ Year Old Account
    that's simply how pop3 works if you want to use a client like that on multiple devices you must use a imap compatible client and email service such as gmail and configure it using the imap address instead of pop
    I recommend mozilla thunderbird over outlook any day.
    Last edited by lockblock; 2011-07-09 at 07:22 PM.

Deleted
    but it used to work fine on an older computer with the exact same client and email address - phone settings haven't changed at all and they're using pop3 i believe. that's the most confusing thing here. :S

10+ Year Old Account
    its possible there is a setting to disable deleting email when you retrieve it via pop3 but imap is really the way to go
    the reason why is even if you did manage to enable pop to do that you would have to retrieve all stored msg vs just opening the one you want on demand

not sure if your email provider has imap but if you post the domain of your email without the user ID portion it would be possible to find the server address if any
    Last edited by lockblock; 2011-07-09 at 07:38 PM.

Deleted
    no idea if virgin media's email service support imap but i'll look into it as it's pretty important thing that needs to be done. cheers for the help.

That's how POP3 works, you download the item from the server and keep it locally. Some programs let you leave a copy on the server, but not all clients work properly in this regard. If they don't use IMAP, the best thing to do is get a GMail account, have IT check your ISP email, while you use IMAP with GMail.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2
    Intel PRO/1000 PT Server NIC | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair TX750
    OCZ Vertex2 60GB | WD Velociraptor 300GB x 2 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 500GB
    EK-FB SR2 - Acetal+Nickel | EK-Supreme HF - Acetal x 2 | EK-FC5970 Acetal x 2
    Thermochill TA120.4 x 3 | Thermochill TA120.3 | Swiftech MCP655 x 2

Quote Originally Posted by lockblock View Post
    that's simply how pop3 works if you want to use a client like that on multiple devices you must use a imap compatible client and email service such as gmail and configure it using the imap address instead of pop
    I recommend mozilla thunderbird over outlook any day.
    On your iPhone:
    Go into Settings -> Select your Outlook account email address -> Scroll down to Advanced -> Incoming Settings: Delete from server -> Never

Last edited by Yohassakura; 2011-07-09 at 08:00 PM.
    Computer: Intel I7-3770k @ 4.5GHz | 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM | AMD 7970 GHz @ 1200/1600 | ASUS Z77-V PRO Mobo|

10+ Year Old Account

Deleted
    yeh i wouldn't use microsoft outlook either, but it's not my account, it's my mum's and being non tech savy i doubt she'd ever change. thanks a lot for all the links and options i'll report back to her and try to fix it, then let you know if it works.

All pop-3 clients have an option to leave the email on the server, but the default behaviour is to delete it when it fetch it. - Check your client account settings.

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    yeh i wouldn't use microsoft outlook either
    Why wouldn't you?
    red panda red panda red panda!