The Secret World Thread

A lot buzz around SWTOR and GW2, but not a lot on this game: http://www.thesecretworld.com/

Funcom - The creators of Age of Conan.

Anyways I haven't seen any gameplay and have no idea what it will be like but the concept seems really neat. The CG videos are extremely badass.

The little mini game on the site is neat too to place you into 1 of 3 factions. I got illuminati!! Either way something to keep an eye on and definitely worth checking out the site.

If you have any additional info post it here!

Videos per request:

GDC 2010 Intro Vid

GDC 2011 Informational Vid

CG

"Savage Coast"
    Last edited by ro9ue; 2011-07-10 at 07:53 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes yes yes I've been waiting for his thread!!!! After the new savage coast walk through I'm so pumped for this game!! ( link the videos in the op) BTW nice sig, that's one of my favorite movies. I got illuminati too. Do you think it will be factions like horde and alliance in WoW? Also the way it works is thrres no levels just progression. I can do a big writeup for the op later tonight if you want.
    Last edited by Cavus; 2011-07-10 at 07:34 PM.

Proud Member of Respected and Despised (SWTOR USA PST Empire).
    Dark Days are Coming....

I don't trust Funcom to handle a successful MMO.
    Conan wasn't poorly timed because of WoW, it was poorly timed because what they released was completely unfinished. You got to level 20 and had to essentially grind through the rest of the game because there was an overwhelming lack of content.

I bet they haven't learned.

I am excited for this game. Yeah Funcom has made some mistakes, but that's life. They have done a lot with AOC since it's release. As for lesson learned? Who knows. I do hope they have. The game play I have seen looks pretty nice. Different from other mmo's. Which was how AOC was with their combat. They implement a lot of great ideas in games. That can't be denied. I took the test about a year ago and came up Dragon. Which suits me fine. I am just hoping for a playable demo or a beta chance for it soon.
    Orks, Space Marines, Rift (<---- Links for pics BTW)

I like the skill wheel. It's a good idea. I need to see way more of this game to really get hyped up about it. With Tor and GW2 up on deck I can't see past the bright lights. All of the lights all of the lights.

10+ Year Old Account
    If Funcom screws this up, so help me God, I'll ram a truck into their office building. IT LOOKS FRIKKIN' AWESOME!

Btw, any other Dragons here? :P
    If you add me on Steam, Skype or whatever program/client I share my info for, please write something to identify you in the "Dude/gal wants to join your club"-message. Just so I know that an actual human is on the other end :P

Not sure about the game itself but those videos are pretty damn awesome.

Edit: wasn't that impressed by the savage coast video tbh
    Last edited by Pokot; 2011-07-10 at 07:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gugizimo View Post
    I don't trust Funcom to handle a successful MMO.
    Conan wasn't poorly timed because of WoW, it was poorly timed because what they released was completely unfinished. You got to level 20 and had to essentially grind through the rest of the game because there was an overwhelming lack of content.

I bet they haven't learned.
    I almost laughed when the OP said AOC was an excellent game that was only poorly timed. The game was terrible. It had 20 levels of ´finished´content, and then the majority of the game was just grinding mobs to level because there were not even any quests. The game was touted as a pvp game, but seiges were broken beyond playable the first 6 months, and their was no ranking system at all for the first 4 months. Even today, the ´pvp´ system involves mostly gathering nodes... and not actually fighting. The people at the highest ranks of the pvp system don´t actually ever fight anyone.

The game was terrible, Funcom spent more on marketing then on development... and it flopped. Now you ask, did Funcom learn anything? The answer is no, because Anarchy Online was launched years before AOC and was in exactly the same condition at launch. But again, Funcom spent loads of money on marketing to market a completly unfinished game.

I am not saying TSW will be a flop, or even incomplete. But there were a million people who bought the box for AOC in the first month, and by the end of the second month, 900k of them had stopped playing. I am guessing the vast majority regretted their purchase.

Wait at least 2 months after launch to buy the box. Simple as that. Forget the pre-launch hype from Funcom... Forget any information that comes from a very limited beta (aoc only ever allowed beta testers or the media to play the first 20 levels, which was the only finished part of the game at launch)... wait until real players will full access are telling you that this isn´t AOC or AO....

I like so much the concept of this universe...RP wise, it will be awesome. I just hope the gameplay won't ruin everything, I really do not trust Funcom, but meh, it just looks so amazing... and yes, Dragon here

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LDX View Post
    I like so much the concept of this universe...RP wise, it will be awesome. I just hope the gameplay won't ruin everything, I really do not trust Funcom, but meh, it just looks so amazing... and yes, Dragon here
    Weee^^

To be honest, the "free character progression" DOES sound like marketing-language for "choose what to grind!", but the thing I'm most interested in is (as in all RPGs), the synergy between skills. Seems neat^^
    If you add me on Steam, Skype or whatever program/client I share my info for, please write something to identify you in the "Dude/gal wants to join your club"-message. Just so I know that an actual human is on the other end :P

Quote Originally Posted by Cavus View Post
    Yes yes yes I've been waiting for his thread!!!! After the new savage coast walk through I'm so pumped for this game!! ( link the videos in the op) BTW nice sig, that's one of my favorite movies. I got illuminati too. Do you think it will be factions like horde and alliance in WoW? Also the way it works is thrres no levels just progression. I can do a big writeup for the op later tonight if you want.
    Not to interrupt your weewee's .. why did you not make a thread yourself?

ontopic: Looks pretty slick I might try it
    Signature removed. Please read our guidelines. Venara

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Solidseal View Post
    Not to interrupt your weewee's .. why did you not make a thread yourself?ontopic: Looks pretty slick I might try it
    It was more of "Omg I'm so excited for this game. Hey look a thread for it!!! Damn why didn't I start this before?"

Dark Days are Coming....

Couple questions about this game.

How much will it cost?

Does it have a confirmed release date?

This game looks pretty awesome, would love to get some more info on it.

Looks interesting, I wonder when the beta starts up.
    proud participant of the most epic thread ever: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...an-made/page36

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Underskilled View Post
    Couple questions about this game.

How much will it cost?

Does it have a confirmed release date?

This game looks pretty awesome, would love to get some more info on it.
    1. We don't know yet. Could be f2p, could be p2p, could be b2p. We just do not know yet.
    2. No confirmed release date yet.

Dark Days are Coming....

Quote Originally Posted by Cavus View Post
    1. We don't know yet. Could be f2p, could be p2p, could be b2p. We just do not know yet.
    2. No confirmed release date yet.
    Hm, thanks. Hopefully it follows the trend of the coming up MMO's and goes f2p.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Underskilled View Post
    Hm, thanks. Hopefully it follows the trend of the coming up MMO's and goes f2p.
    As long as they didn't go overboard with cash shops or make the content premium only I'd be fine with that. I find f2ps are always better when the cash shop and premiums are mostly cosmetic or affect the gameplay in a slight manner rather than something like runescape where it blocks off huge portions of the game.

Dark Days are Coming....