My computer is smoking

i accidentally the entire coffee and now my computer is smoking

need help please advise
    Twice the pride, double the fall.
    Might is a trash guild.

Tell it to stop, smoking is bad for it's health.

I would give it a joint, let your computer be high

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Tip 1: Turn the goddamn thing off.......
    Tip 2: Let it dry out
    Tip 3: Once the coffee is dried, get a cotton bud and some white spirit and clean GENTLY any contacts which are now covered in dried coffee

Deleted
    It's possible to wash certain components if needed. Just make sure to take out any batteries (motherboard) cables, etc. Just make sure that you let the whole thing sit in e.g. an oven at around 50-60c for at least 20 hours so that all the water's gone.

http://www.overclock.net/general-pro...d-washing.html

It's risky and not something I would recommend doing. But, if needed it's worth a shot I guess. If i ever was to spill anything on my computer I'd first and foremost plug the thing out, clean as much as possible using cotton-stick/swabs and alcohol with all cables and such plugged out. Washing is a.. last resort and only if the spill is very major I'd assume.
    Last edited by mmoc7c6c75675f; 2011-07-11 at 10:49 PM.

Rice is supposed to be quite good at desiccating not so delicate parts.

But for the love of all that is holy turn the damn thing off before you fry something or worse happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Dooku View Post
    i accidentally the entire coffee and now my computer is smoking

need help please advise
    Then you might need to accidenally the screwdriver and accidentally the computer.

Old meme is old

Once the magic smoke that controls all electronics escapes there's no way to get it back in.

Rice cereal does work well, not grain rice, the cereal stuff you feed babies will absorb the fluid. You'll still need to let it fully dry before turning it back on. Lucky it was coffee and not soda (pop) as that isn't as easy to fix.

I'm not convinced this is a serious topic.
    But both coffee and smoking is bad for your teeth. It can't be much better for the computer.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    Putting it in an oven can work, but there's a lot of risk involved with that method, mostly related to PEBKAC errors.
    Haha! Like accidentally turning the oven to 200c and melting it?

I've never tried to wash any computer component(s) using such a method (washing) but I actually can't find a reason why it shouldn't work. The video on OC.net does show some extensive scrubbing which seems.. a bit harsh considering that some components can be rather delicate - but as long as you let it dry properly afterwards I see no reason why it wouldn't work.

Deleted
    I accidentally that it was a genuine thread for a while...

Deleted
    Not sure if serious... but:

Quote Originally Posted by Tosu View Post
    Tip 1: Turn the goddamn thing off.......
    Tip 2: Let it dry out
    Tip 3: Once the coffee is dried, get a cotton bud and some white spirit and clean GENTLY any contacts which are now covered in dried coffee
    QFT

This is a troll post.

They have this little joke that they say "I accidentally my entire goldfish and i don't know what to do!"

I'm betting money that this is one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by c313 View Post
    This is a troll post.

They have this little joke that they say "I accidentally my entire goldfish and i don't know what to do!"

I'm betting money that this is one of them.
    You're right. It all started because some guy "accidentally 93mb of cp".

10+ Year Old Account
    there's a difference between smoke and water (coffee) vapor. which is it? take a sniff.