DCUO Announces paid expansion "Fight for the Light"

Cool, my first marginal bit of news.

DC Universe Online, officially the LAST subscription-based superhero MMO, is promising a new expansion called "Fight for the Light", delivering the Green/Yellow Lantern powers. Apparently, both new and existing characters can get these via a respec, and the powerset will work "differently" from existing powers and weapons.

The news is everywhere, here's a short and sweet article: http://www.ology.com/technology/dc-u...ight-light-dlc

The expansion will run you ten bucks, which rather feels like insult to injury considering the current state of DCUO. It is targeted for "later this summer". Considering that the St Patrick's Day world event ran well into the early June, and the Megaservers (promised to appear shortly after the Big Hack Scandal) are still nowhere in sight the real release date will probably land somewhere between Christmas and Valentine's Day 2012.

British scientists estimate that all 10 subscribers that remain by that date will enthusiastically purchase the expansion.
    "The Patient? Well... maybe... the mental kind..."

10+ Year Old Account
    lol'ed

Too bad the game didn't really get popular though, it should have been b2p imo, was fun but not 15 euros/month fun
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rivehn View Post
    About damn time, Only reason to play this game is to be a green lantern. I wonder when its going to come out.
    You, me, and probably a few thousand more subscribers. My gut feel is that if DCUO is still live by the time the expansion drops, it will briefly turn into "Lanterns Online", followed by an avalanche of nerfs (or patch-induced bugs) and a mass exodus.

A damn shame, too. I swear, if GL powers were in from the get-go, I'd probably have bought a lifetime sub.
    "The Patient? Well... maybe... the mental kind..."

Deleted
    A fun game at first but as JVbastel said not 15 euro a month fun, it needs to go F2P tbh.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds cool, but I'm waiting for the game to go f2p before I get back in.
    "I see nothing. I hear nothing. I taste victory."

"Trolling (verb): speaking your honest opinion." - you know who

15+ Year Old Account
    i think everyone here has the right idea, i played DCUO for 2 months, i really enjoyed the character customization, it's very snazzy indeed, but to think they are throwing out an expansion, this early almost it seems is kinda ludacris, the game from memory doesn't even have it's 2nd major content patch and they are trying to make more money? wow.. just wow, the OP was right this is retarded and unless the game goes F2P it's going to lose out to better hero mmo's like champions online and City of Heroes, because honestly they are better games in terms of hero abilities etc..
    Unfortunately, until the people at Blizzard take time to quit explaining why they are right and anyone who disagrees is wrong, they are not going to even hear everyone speaking out desperately trying to warn them the ship is sinking.
    the problems driving players from WoW aren't content or the age of the game, the problem is how the game experience and design philosophy are being undermined by Blizzard's hubris and greed.

Deleted
    The game doesn't need to go F2P just B2P.

IMO this is pretty silly.

Content like this should be part of the subscription fee, not added "DLC".

EQ/EQ2 had "Adventure Packs" which included 2-3x the amount of content for 10-20 bucks. The amount of content being released in this (from what I've seen) is pretty pathetic, especially for the price.

Not hating on the game, but SoE really dropped the ball with it. It had a ton of potential (Vanguard says sup) but a number of poor decisions caused it to be a very lackluster release from what I've heard.

15+ Year Old Account
    SoE at his best milking his users-base to pay up for their downtime in the last few months.

I think going B2P would be the best thing for DCUO right now, or a F2P/B2P model like TF2. DCUO had so many great systems and concepts, I was so disappointed when SOE ruined one of the best video game concepts and designs I've come to know. There were so many good ideas in this game, and the mechanics for them even worked for the most part. This game had so much potential. The combat, duos, customization, the world, the quests, etc. were such great concepts. It just makes me really sad to see what could have been a great game crapped on. It's not worth the subscription price at all. I would definitely keep playing if they made it F2P or B2P.