Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Abrasion View Post
    Starcraft 2 got a pass from reviewers because it was made by Blizzard. If it were a new game produced by a different company under a different IP but was the EXACT same game it would've been lol'ed at. It's a step backwards in the RTS genre.
    yea agree with this right here. Its this and the fact that everyone is so freaking serious about it that doesnt make the game fun.
    Its nothing then a game they made again -.- the only thing that was new in the story line is tech tree's you can chose from in story mode, they didnt even bother to implement this in the multi player game.

Quote Originally Posted by Flaks View Post
    I feel like that aspect of it is starting to detract from the storyline. I mean Blizzard should have at least ONE game that's dedicated to an amazing story. Even WoW is severely lacking in its story-telling capabilities in favor of personal appeasement.
    Diablo? While some may question whether its storyline could be considered 'amazing' - it is at heart simply a campaign game. Blizzard stories tend to be overly dramatic, and over the top anyways. Lovable, sometimes heart wrenching, but I'm not sure I would call them fantastic.

I also don't think a lot of people played either StarCraft 1 or StarCraft 2 if they think nothing has changed between the two. While I guess you could say they are the same at the most basic level, but with any truly detailed look in the game you will see the game is clearly different. Those who only notice the similarities should also note the '2'.

It is a competitive game. I like that aspect about it. There is plenty of room for casual play in StarCraft as well though. With custom games, team melees, and the excellent match making - anyone can have fun.
    Last edited by Yooya; 2011-07-13 at 08:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
    I stopped bothering even trying to learn to play decently in multiplayer because everyone is so super serious about it(gaming schools to teach people to raise their actions per minute in starcraft? really?) that it's impossible to just have fun with without treating a game like some sort of olympic sport.
    I'm honestly confused by this... where are you getting "everyone" and "impossible?"

My perception is that 99% of players are treating it as a game and having a grand old time, while 1% are treating it as Serious Business, and of course it's that 1% who work their butts off and have their games televised and maybe make some money at it. Just like any IRL sport.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why everyone keep saying it is the "same" ? There is loads of new things
    Simple thing : There was no wall jumping (colossus or reapers) in sc1, that is a whole new strategy in sc2

most complains here I see are from people who don't understand what is RTS, WC3 wasn't a real RTS, it had some RPG in it, RTS don't have heroes who lvl and gain skills by experience from killing
    Last edited by sam86; 2011-07-13 at 09:25 AM.
    The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn
    Thrall
    http://youtu.be/x3ejO7Nssj8 7:20+ "Alliance remaining super power", clearly blizz favor horde too much, that they made alliance the super power

Deleted
    1 year of Starcraft II... and I still haven't bought it.

I have much fun playing Terran in SC2. Best game ever!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Abrasion View Post
    Starcraft 2 got a pass from reviewers because it was made by Blizzard. If it were a new game produced by a different company under a different IP but was the EXACT same game it would've been lol'ed at. It's a step backwards in the RTS genre.
    Just because you get overrun in multiplayer doesn't mean the game is bad.
    I can't think of any other RTS game with so much depth, quality and competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Azalu View Post
    Please stop talking nonsense, you have no idea what you're on about

I played a lot of Wc3 but i'm much preferring SC2, the pro league is so exciting. Now that i'm playing Wow a lot less i'm playing SC2 very heavily
    If its nonsense than state why, or just shut up
    Last edited by McNeil; 2011-07-13 at 10:30 AM.

I feel like there's several responses from typical non-competitive or casual gamers in this thread,

there are those of us who play video games to challenge our abilities and push ourselves when not in a working environment, because it allows us for growth as gamers and as people if we see it that way.

Personally I really enjoy SC2, but I've played every single competitive game on the planet. I went from like SC1, to CS, to War3, to TF2/etc and then caught the WoW bug and now I'm back onto SC2. I guess I only care to play to make myself a better gamer, I feel every time I play a competitive game my reaction time and cognitive thinking skills increase because I'm being stimulated by a challenging game - some people don't like this kind of gameplay, but that's just each to their own.

when I picked up WOW all I wanted to do was PVP (grinded GM), arena in bc (numerous glad titles and was able to go regionals before in s1), playing in hardcore raiding guilds to achieve "server firsts" in some mindless world that only exists between hardcore raiders. Basically what I'm trying to say, you can hate a game for it's serious play, but don't hate the reasons why people choose this route because people do enjoy play video games to "beat" them.. in which ever way they see fit.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    If its nonsense than state why, or just shut up
    Because you obviously don't realize what the game revolves around.
    It's THE competitive RTS. With the actual choises in units instead of the same build order
    every time (WC3, AOE-Online, Supreme commander...), it is also easily the most deep RTS out there.
    Ther is virtually no unit in the game with the exact same function, even the most basic units have distinct
    roles.

Besides all of that, the graphics are gorgeous, the voice acting is great, it has the best A.I. (the one your own units use)
    I've ever seen in a RTS and thanks to that is very smooth to play.

Quote Originally Posted by Sethrihoth View Post
    1 year of Starcraft II... and I still haven't bought it.
    Same here. Just not worth the money in my eyes after seeing it played.

So I skipped it. I'll grab it from a bargain bin at some point. Probably well after the other 2 races are released.

Deleted
    Great video - In the last year I've stopped playing WoW so actively and started with other games, like SC2. I wasn't a fan of the RTS genre but I really enjoy SC2, whilst I don't play it constantly its up there with my 5 most played games atm.

I'm in Bronze league though and you know what, I don't care. I love following SC2 as an eSport and improving my own play by watching others. SC2 actually has a great engine for custom games and there are some good ones out there which I play regularly. But haters are gonna hate...

I was overly hyped for it when it was first released and I played SCII for a good month and half with a friend of mine (SP on Brutal, MP Gold I think) but it didn't have that much of a fun factor for me, the MP games are too serious and I am still pissed off there isn't a decent dota style map out yet SotiS is nice but I guess it's limited by the engine.

Can anyone recommend me fun multiplayer maps? I love Auir Chef personally

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jabbaprime View Post
    I was overly hyped for it when it was first released and I played SCII for a good month and half with a friend of mine (SP on Brutal, MP Gold I think) but it didn't have that much of a fun factor for me, the MP games are too serious and I am still pissed off there isn't a decent dota style map out yet SotiS is nice but I guess it's limited by the engine.

Can anyone recommend me fun multiplayer maps? I love Auir Chef personally
    Blizzard Dota should be coming out with HotS, so there's that.

I personally like Mafia, but that's me.

Quote Originally Posted by Gawwad View Post
    Because you obviously don't realize what the game revolves around.
    It's THE competitive RTS. With the actual choises in units instead of the same build order
    every time (WC3, AOE-Online, Supreme commander...), it is also easily the most deep RTS out there.
    Ther is virtually no unit in the game with the exact same function, even the most basic units have distinct
    roles.

Besides all of that, the graphics are gorgeous, the voice acting is great, it has the best A.I. (the one your own units use)
    I've ever seen in a RTS and thanks to that is very smooth to play.
    That still makes it just a prettier SC1. They could atleast add a new race, in WC3 they added 2 new races and they were both awesome. The storys were also very interesting, instead of bringing back old characters they introduced tons of new and interesting ones. I didn't come far in SC2 but as far as I saw it was just escaping & looking for zergs to kill, not very interesting.

I think SC1 was a brilliant game, but SC2 could've just done more

Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    That still makes it just a prettier SC1. They could atleast add a new race, in WC3 they added 2 new races and they were both awesome. The storys were also very interesting, instead of bringing back old characters they introduced tons of new and interesting ones. I didn't come far in SC2 but as far as I saw it was just escaping & looking for zergs to kill, not very interesting. I think SC1 was a brilliant game, but SC2 could've just done more
    As Day[9] (an important figure in the SC2 community) said once in one of his dailies "Leave the lore and shit to MMORPG players, we're RTS players and we focus on multiplayer". And SC2's multiplayer is one of the best, if not the best, on the E-sports scene.
    Real tanks don't use that foo foo magic stuff...we use steel and harsh language.

My faith in humanity before WotLK : ------|---
    after : -|--------

game is disappointing if you played SC1. DoW 2 is much better.
    Kenny gona die tonight!!!

I love seeing how much I have improved and knowing that I have gone from having no idea when to drop a pylon to being able to micro a scouting probe while still hitting my build order timings within a second of my practice game timings. When I first started I got clobbered by my friend who had been playing casually since the game first launched. Now he does more spectating than playing and I am able to easily beat him. We do some friendly best of 3 matches and I take him 2-0 every time. I know I have a lot of work to do to push into Diamond next season, but I'm looking forward to seeing how much better I can be. StarCraft 2 is by far the most entertaining game I've played and really motivates me to try to be a better gamer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zeo View Post
    As Day[9] (an important figure in the SC2 community) said once in one of his dailies "Leave the lore and shit to MMORPG players, we're RTS players and we focus on multiplayer". And SC2's multiplayer is one of the best, if not the best, on the E-sports scene.
    Multiplayer isn't for everyone. You should care about the story because that's what a majority of their dev $ went to. Voice actors, cinematics and what-not.
    The only people you have control over is yourself. If you want to make a point, leave proper, factual replies.

Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    I also hate that SC2 (in particular) revolves around "Esports" almost completely.
    I hate that 99% of online games contain a rush of some sort. I'm not bad at defending against it, but just once I'd like to be unmolested until I can get up an end tier unit.