Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

I remembered why COD was never good

I can't believe how this franchise has been so successful, the only sense of accomplishment is being able to kill the guy spawn camping you and then rushing into his teammate to get knifed from behind.. while he's in front of you.

And this isn't just a problem with Black Ops, but seemingly the entire franchise. Will they ever get it right or just continue this trend of bad games that sell due to franchise naming? Been playing from COD4 and beyond today, there are minor things in each game that were good, that should have been brought to the next, but others that are completely terrible that should have been left out, cheap things like knifing from 10 ft away. Things like spawn camping and overpowered explosives.

Overall the only good part about the Treyarch created games is the ability to live (kinda). COD4/6 just have bullet damage that is way too superior

Edit: I'm primarily talking about multiplayer, which is apparently their main selling point. Also, primarily COD4 and beyond.

I have poor hopes about MW3, might not even buy it
    Last edited by Doirdyn; 2011-07-14 at 01:00 AM.
    The only people you have control over is yourself. If you want to make a point, leave proper, factual replies.

Call of Duty 2 was fucking amazing, it's just a shame that they haven't been able to produce something so original since then.

Quote Originally Posted by Doirdyn View Post
    I can't believe how this franchise has been so successful, the only sense of accomplishment is being able to kill the guy spawn camping you and then rushing into his teammate to get knifed from behind.. while he's in front of you.

And this isn't just a problem with Black Ops, but seemingly the entire franchise. Will they ever get it right or just continue this trend of bad games that sell due to franchise naming? Been playing from COD4 and beyond today, there are minor things in each game that were good, that should have been brought to the next, but others that are completely terrible that should have been left out, cheap things like knifing from 10 ft away. Things like spawn camping and overpowered explosives.

Overall the only good part about the Treyarch created games is the ability to live (kinda). COD4/6 just have bullet damage that is way too superior
    By your logic WoW shouldn't be as successful as it is either.

Deleted
    CoD1 was the best imo

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Badpaladin View Post
    Call of Duty 2 was fucking amazing, it's just a shame that they haven't been able to produce something so original since then.
    /agree, I miss pwning with my Lee-Enfield. Back when getting a 5+ killing spree required skill

Quote Originally Posted by Badpaladin View Post
    So much time spent on cod 2

Deleted
    Once you play Battlefield Bad Company 2 online.. CoD just feels so plain.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kakokun View Post
    By your logic WoW shouldn't be as successful as it is either.
    At the time, it was revolutionary, just like COD4 was, but expansions are equivalent to the sequel games, imo.

They're only getting worse as they continue
    The only people you have control over is yourself. If you want to make a point, leave proper, factual replies.

The first couple CoD's were amazing games. Stopped playing them till MW2 and while it was pretty fun for a while, a lot of the imbalances got to me.

The first 2 games though were great. They had a fun and compelling single player, and pretty balanced, amazingly fun multiplayer. IMO the MW series brought a massive increase in players and much more appeal (WW2 games only appeal to so many), at the cost of the quality of both the single player and multi player.

Just my opinion though.

CoD single player...up to MW2 at least, was freaking badass. CoD2 and MW1 are both really really good single player games, which is the reason I own any game in the franchise to begin with, and its all I really played them for was to beat it once then go back and do as much as I can on veteran.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Doirdyn View Post

Edit: I'm primarily talking about multiplayer, which is apparently their main selling point. Also, primarily COD4 and beyond.

I have poor hopes about MW3, might not even buy it
    the game is successful because It is easy for anyone of any age to pick it up and have fun, the game rewards cautious play aswel as rushing aggressive play

camping is only a problem when you are new to the game, after youve played for a few hours you learn were all the "hot spots" are on the map - ie the camp spots and you can get easy kills just by moving from one camp spot to the next and killing the people in them -

in black ops I do think the damage required to kill people is to high for certain weapons, this is why in treyarch games I have only played hardcore search and destroy - for a truly hardcore intense experience

I've always had fun in the CoD multiplayers, from 2 to Black Ops.

Never understood that bandwagon

10+ Year Old Account
    I LOVE CoD... except Black Ops has pissed me off more than any game ever. The countless times where the host is SHITTY but it never switches to another host... so that person runs around dominating. The times where I am spawn killed multiple times (my record is 11, I fileshared the game. Spawned in front of the same Sentry gun twice and then into a grenade, mortars, knifes, etc). My KD is 3.72 overall, but I generally run around 5-6kd for every week. I'm by no means a bad player, but most of my deaths are to being killed as soon as I spawn. I am frustrated with how poorly treyarch designed it.

I was personally, never a fan of Call of Duty but I did play every single one right through single player and tried out the multiplayer. Well, except for COD 3, World at War and Black Ops, the step children of the franchise.

I did see the fun in the first 2 COD games and Modern Warfare was pretty solid at first glance. But once MW2 came out and they abolished dedicated servers for PC gamers, I knew the franchise was doomed.

But I suppose I'm too much of a Team Fortress fanboy to judge anyway.

camping is only a problem when you are new to the game, after youve played for a few hours you learn were all the "hot spots" are on the map - ie the camp spots and you can get easy kills just by moving from one camp spot to the next and killing the people in them -
    Gona have to agree with this, unless the map is 100% broken and in all the games iv played iv hardly ever seen this its possible to counter every camp spot. People who complain about camping tend to lack skill needed to do this.

COD has always just had fast paced game play based around killing or objectives. If you dont like the bullet damage then play hardcore, you dont like perks play oldschool.

One thing COD has over BF is the level of detail put into the weapon models and animations, iv yet to see BF equal this even in the demo for bf3.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by BlindSnow View Post
    Once you play Battlefield Bad Company 2 online.. CoD just feels so plain.
    Once you play BF2 (Or even better, Project Reality), BFBC2 just feels so plain.

10+ Year Old Account
    CoD in WWII era was the best. Nuff said.
    You better herp yourself before you derp yourself.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zeta333 View Post
    Gona have to agree with this, unless the map is 100% broken and in all the games iv played iv hardly ever seen this its possible to counter every camp spot. People who complain about camping tend to lack skill needed to do this.

COD has always just had fast paced game play based around killing or objectives. If you dont like the bullet damage then play hardcore, you dont like perks play oldschool.

One thing COD has over BF is the level of detail put into the weapon models and animations, iv yet to see BF equal this even in the demo for bf3.
    However, BF has always put more work into the sounds of the game, which I gotta say I appreciate just as much ^^

EDIT: I was never a fan of CoD anyway except for LAN games. I like the massive maps of BF2 where you could do anything basically. In fact, my favorite thing to be in charge of in my old clan fights, was to drive the Blackhawk chopper and just drive people to the bases and give em airsupport... Nothing will beat that. Ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Dumbnut View Post
    Once you play BF2 (Or even better, Project Reality), BFBC2 just feels so plain.
    FUCK YEAH! PR is probably the best mod I've ever seen.

OT: I loved CoD 2 and 4 but none of the others have had any real appeal to me. I dislike spending $60 on a recycled game.

Diesel 1/7H

10+ Year Old Account
    CoD 1 and 2 were probably the best times I ever had.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mwarren View Post
    It's a no brainer. Get MW3, Skyrim is just a rehash of Oblivion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neezh View Post
    Because I'm brave enough to smoke. I see no point in quitting