How Much Spirit Is Too Much?

Previously when it comes to spirit I have not been striving for it particularly but I have not been reforging it away either. I was just wondering at what point a given amount of spirit becomes too much. I know that it varies on an encounter to encounter basis but how much is generally considered too much to not be reforged away? I'm currently at 2K spirit and never having any kind of mana problems unless I use too many FoL's, which I doesn't happen often anyway because I'm generally conservative anyway when it comes to optimal gearing.

I'm not sure if I'm carrying my other healers or not, but I run out of mana near the end of fights about 80% of the time. (we're mostly in 359 gear and i'm talking about firelands) unless you're spam healing with divine light and don't run out of mana, I believe that you have not reached that limit yet.

Deleted
    never to much. if your item does not have spirit on it reforge to spirit.

do not gem spirit, gem intel the ammount of regen spirit gives depends on your current intel so the ammount of regen you gain from 40 intel is the equivalent ish to 20 spirit. while having the other spellpower+crit+max mana bonus's.

Herald of the Titans OnlineSamantha's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    When you can spam Divine Light the whole fight and not concern yourself about mana (assuming people take damage of course). Untill then, you're not at the cap.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trumpresident View Post
    My words exactly. Manufacturing in the US is considerably more expensive than elsewhere, and part of that are savage regulations such as environment protection or minimum wages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderaan View Post
    Saying that Wilson is a racist murderer is the same level of conspiracy as saying Sandy Hook didn't happen and the parents are in on it.
    I don't post that often, and when I do it's often in bursts. I always lurk though.

There isn't a "too much" for spirit. It's the best throughput stat as far as secondary stats go (yes, I said throughput).
    Well, okay, when you can spam FoL all the time and not going below 90% mana you might have too much spirit. (I'm on 2.7k spirit, up to 3.5k with procs and it definitely doesn't feel too much.)

If you finish the fight with too much mana try using DL more often. If you still have plenty then don't be shy with FoL.
    (Being conservative with mana is not a bad thing but make sure your fellow healers don't end up carrying your mana-shyness.)
    Last edited by Valamivan; 2011-07-14 at 12:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Valamivan View Post
    There isn't a "too much" for spirit. It's the best throughput stat as far as secondary stats go (yes, I said throughput).
    Well, okay, when you can spam FoL all the time and not going below 90% mana you might have too much spirit.

If you finish the fight with too much mana try using DL more often. If you still have plenty then don't be shy with FoL.
    I did a test on FoL on the 4th boss in The ZA heroic (the one with the healing/mana totem) and I did FoL ALL THE WAY. We had GREAT DPS and you know FoL STILL drained me down to almost nothing and i'm almost 2.7k spirit with 117k mana buffed with heartsong, DMC, and Fall of Mortality all procc'n crazy. Thats the most regen in game wuth those totems up in the boss encounter and I STILL went out of mana. I doubt we'll ever see the cap.

Deleted
    THere is no such thing as too much spirit. Unless ofc you and your party members are overgearing the content by a lot.

The sole reason for using holy light for example is to conserve mana. If you are into a point you don't need to conserve mana, you can start to shift your HPS from holy light into divine light/flash of light, and this will drain your mana to the point you need more spirit again.

So, in a way, spirit is also an HPS increase stat because you can slowly go from a low HPS spell into a high HPS spell.

Deleted
    Put it this way. Are you finishing fights with any mana left? And if so how much? If your under 25% mana by the end of the fight then your spirit level is ok. If your finishing with more than 50% then you have too much. If your hitting 0% before the fight ends and you've used all mana returning CD's then you need more.

Most people will say "if you finish the fight with anymore than 5% mana you have too much regen" but I would disagree. I would suggest 25% to be a fairer number as you never know when a streak of bad RNG may strike and if you dont have the mana left to react then things will start to fall apart.

Deleted
    Why would you want to spam FoL? It's the worst heal we have and situational at best.
    OT: Just get spirit on every piece if possible and if its on not on it, reforge into it. On normal modes if people don't fail, your mana will be fine. It's hardmodes that are challenging. Its not a case of: "Do you still have mana left after the fight? You have too much regen." That is total bull. Every fight is different, heck, even every try is different.

Of course you won't spam FoL but it does help a lot if you can allow yourself casting FoL more often (or casting HL less often), especially on progression content - and that is what more spirit gives you.
    And yes, I also disagree with people saying "Do you still have mana left after the fight? You have too much regen." - I would rather say: "Do you still have mana left after the fight? You could have done more healing." Whether more healing was needed or not... that's a different question. But again, on progression content while you are learning new (heroic) encounters you can always use a bit more healing done - and thus more spirit.
    Last edited by Valamivan; 2011-07-14 at 03:21 PM.

Spirit compensates for mistakes in mana management, and therefore it's more useful for low-progressed (read: bad) holy paladins than high-progressed ones. Not to imply that spirit is useless at high gear levels, but its worth compared to our other stats is definitely losing ground (and the other stats are gaining ground) as the paladin improves his skill at casting the right spell at the right moment and on the right target. By doing so, the paladin is maximizing his healing per mana ratio, and therefore mana & mana regen lose in value.
    That said, i dont think there should be a spirit cap, because it rarely "competes" with other stats in the way that haste, crit and mastery do. Since it's found on nearly all of our gear, reforging for it is not an option, all spirit enchants have superior Int counterparts with the exception of HS/PT which is stil debatable, and there's no alternative stat for blue sockets so its either 20 int/20 spirit or straight up 40 int if the socket bonus is trivial.

Feel free to PM me about any question you might have regarding LoL.
    Holy paladin

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Traba View Post
    Why would you want to spam FoL? It's the worst heal we have and situational at best.
    OT: Just get spirit on every piece if possible and if its on not on it, reforge into it. On normal modes if people don't fail, your mana will be fine. It's hardmodes that are challenging. Its not a case of: "Do you still have mana left after the fight? You have too much regen." That is total bull. Every fight is different, heck, even every try is different.
    By that logic you should change and optimise your gear from fight to fight because on one fight you'll need less mana than the other. But we both know your not trying to say that. I also did not claim you should base it on one fight. IT would be silly for a holydin to go to say, Argaloth, end the fight on 50% mana and think he/she has enough for firelands heroics.

Using the mana you have left at the end of fights is a good way to learn how to do better. If your finishing every fight with plenty of mana, you could then ask yourself "Are you doing enough healing? Could you have healed more?" If you could heal more then you can learn from that and heal more next time. If you feel you can't have healed more from actual play, then perhaps its time to drop some regen and pick up more throughput stats.

Anyone who uses the mentality "I had mana left on this fight, that means I have too much regen" is an idiot. But learning to use and judge your healing performance from things like meters and your remaining mana and the number of deaths during your raids, is what will make you a better healer overall.

Quote Originally Posted by thoukaia View Post
    Spirit compensates for mistakes in mana management, and therefore it's more useful for low-progressed (read: bad) holy paladins than high-progressed ones.
    On the contrary the highly progressed Paladins are forced into spamming higher cost spells due to the nature of the damage flying around in heroic modes.

Lower progressed Paladins actually have a lot more room to manage their mana because the damage going out actually allows for it.

Ultimately if you're never having problems with mana you can afford to drop some spirit. It's subjective to you and your own experience in healing. There is no magic figure.