Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Any addon that can suggest what heal to do?

Hello.I am using power auras addon and the general idea is that you put some parameters and it show you the spell..
    for example I can say to power auras that if I have 5 combo points and I already have slice and dice up then to show me eviscerate...there are many addons that suggest you what spell to do but all are dps as far as I know..crlc retribution helper, shock and awe, e.t.c.

Now to the point.I imagine an addon that can suggest you a heal spell to do on the target depending on some parameters you will say.Imagine Grid for raid frames and to any of the player frame a small icon of the healing spell the addon suggest for this player.You will set the parameters..

for example,
    if player is at 70% HP and no incoming damage to show Heal
    if player tank have not weakened soul effect to show power word: shield
    e.t.c.

of course I understand that healing has no rotation and depends on many things at any given moment, though some things are still pretty straight forward, like to maintain lifebloom or power word: Shield on tank.And since the raid frames addons now can calculate so many things (HP missing,invoming damage,incoming heals,e.t.c.) I see that an addon like this is very possible and will help the new healers a lot.

Well my post is more than a request than a question, and that because I didn't ever heard of an addon like this, but if by luck there is a similar addon please let me know :P
    The trick of selling a FFA-PvP MMO is creating the illusion among gankers that they are respectable fighters while protecting them from respectable fights, as their less skilled half would be massacred and quit instead of “HTFU” as they claim.

Deleted
    My healing days are long over but the danger on following addon advice when healing is that an addon can only make calculations based on the here and now.

They can't predict incoming damage or damage rhythms. Especially since damage continues even during the cast-time of your spell, you can't rely on addons too much for spell selection.

There's not an addon like this, and I'm pretty sure one would never work to the point of being useful.

Gershuun @ Borean Tundra US - Interface & Macros Moderator

well as I said it will suggest you , you are not entirely obligated to follow it...like the damage addons, it only for single target with no movement, e.t.c. are there to help you and to suggest you but you are not follow them exactly...

for example if you know the addon HEALIUM , it has the bar of spells next to every player.Now imagine the suggestion spell make the button glow...then you decide to follow or not :P For a very new healer in a 5-man dungeon it would be very good in my opinion..
    a veteran healer in a raid environment may not find it useful
    The trick of selling a FFA-PvP MMO is creating the illusion among gankers that they are respectable fighters while protecting them from respectable fights, as their less skilled half would be massacred and quit instead of “HTFU” as they claim.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, I learned to heal by learning how much healing my spells did - I installed DrDamage, and it shows average healing on your heal spells. I arranged my spells based on how much average healing they did, and chose which spell to cast based on how much hp the tank was down - but I always chose the next biggest heal compared to how much hp he'd lost. :> If he was down 10k, and I had one that healed for 8k and one that healed for 11k, he'd get the 11k. :>

Admittedly, I did this back in BC (Karazhan raiding), so a BIG heal was 3k... but still. ;-)

Deleted
    Surely an addon like that would take the skill out of healing altogether? Making the role pretty dull i can imagine.

Deleted
    I don't think so.

It would be interesting to try to create one, though, as see whether it can improve healing or just allow healers to spend more time looking at their environment.

And of course, any such addon can and should predict future damage, as well as the behavior of fellow healers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Your not going to find an add-on that can calculate this sort of information in a manner that would be fast enough to be useful. I'm pretty sure it would go against the ToS via its need to interact with other addons and your own interaction with the game as well.

There are addons which do this for dps you could definitely make one for healing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Anjerith View Post
    Your not going to find an add-on that can calculate this sort of information in a manner that would be fast enough to be useful. I'm pretty sure it would go against the ToS via its need to interact with other addons and your own interaction with the game as well.
    Not at all.

You don't want this type of addon, you don't want healers to learn to heal or become accustomed to healing this way. I can't even begin to want to type the lenght of post necessary to explain all the angles why this would be simply aweful.

In order to heal you must be familiar with how much your spells cost, heal for, and cast times. A good healer can effectively heal a brand new encounter and then become very proficient as the encounter is learned. You cannot heal with an addon telling you what to do. Anyone who is excited by this idea needs to go dps.

Quote Originally Posted by Atreies View Post
    You don't want this type of addon, you don't want healers to learn to heal or become accustomed to healing this way. I can't even begin to want to type the lenght of post necessary to explain all the angles why this would be simply aweful.

In order to heal you must be familiar with how much your spells cost, heal for, and cast times. A good healer can effectively heal a brand new encounter and then become very proficient as the encounter is learned. You cannot heal with an addon telling you what to do. Anyone who is excited by this idea needs to go dps.
    It excites me to think I could write something that does it. I am pretty sure I could do it with PowerAuras on its own. Now using it? Eh, it doesn't seem too useful to me considering my Druid healing consists almost entirely of keeping Wildgrowth and Swiftmend on CD + full stacks of LB, then spam nourish/rejuv all else.

Basically Grid with some side bars representing my HoTs is more than enough.

I believe HealBot has an option for "healing recommendation"s. As to how reliable it is? I wouldn't have the slightest clue.

10+ Year Old Account
    I heard the brain is a good addon.....

Maybe if you're a beginner something like that could be useful but these kinds of spell decisions need to be second nature. You should instantly know what spells to use, actually, you should be able to anticipate damage and prepare yourself beforehand.
    I heard the brain is a good addon.....
    Exactly this.

Quote Originally Posted by Leorina View Post
    I believe HealBot has an option for "healing recommendation"s. As to how reliable it is? I wouldn't have the slightest clue.
    Vuhdo also has this, along with a slider for a HP breakpoint at witch to recommend that spell. Although like other have stated its best to "learn" how your spells "work" (i.e. how much they cost & cast time)

it will be much easier to just get accustomed to healing, if an addon decides for you what to click, it will take time for it to calculate that, once you see the message to use which skill, it would delay you even more , rather than just have a gut feeling, uh oh , tank charged and broke all cc's , time for some big heals, 1 add down, time for some relaxed healing, and its much fun that way. don't you want to be good at what you do with minimal help?

That is an awful idea for an addon good healers need to decide which spell to use within a split second not look at some addon to decide for them.......

I think its called the human brain. This is one of those things best handled by your own judgement.

As previous posters have stated healing effectively is more than just the numbers, and about mechanics of an encounter or other environmental considerations that an addon cannot predict reliably.
    At the very least such an addon would have to try and take into account each and every pve encounters unique mechanics and adjust accordingly, perhaps your talents/glyphs too to provide anything consistently useful.
    You wanted something that is accurate enough, but then dismiss the concerns of others as saying that you simply should not follow it religiously.

As a compromise I would try basic status measures on your raid/party frames.
    Colouring or some other indicator if at or below a certain amount of health.
    Grid/Vuhdo and others do a good job of indicating the presence or lack of specfic buffs/debuffs via icons/coloring/borders etc.