Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Giving up on AMD processors; going Intel

All right, so after having a complete f^%#& nightmare with this AMD Phenom 1090t, I'm going to listen to the people saying that WoW runs terribly with AMD processors and go with an intel. I've read online that the i5 2500k will outperform even the i7's for WoW (WoW is what I mainly play.) and that same i5 also runs circles around my current processor.

So, I'm looking for a motherboard that would be capable of handling that processor, and I'm also looking for a motherboard that would be able to handle future generations of intel processors (so if you guys could suggest two, that'd be great).

Also, I'll need a motherboard that could support the Radeon HD 6970 as well as DDR3 ram. I've got a 750 watt power supply so I'm good in that department, and I'm also running two hard drives.

Another question: What do you guys think about the i5 2500k setup with the 6970? I've got a little less than two weeks to return the 6970 if I choose, but I'm really just looking to run WoW at 50-60 fps in raids ( I really don't care if shadows are on and all that crap.) What do you guys think? Should I try the intel processor first and then see how the graphics card handles it before switching (possibly) to an nvidia?

Thanks in advance everyone.

For a motherboard, the MSI P67A-GD53 is a solid performer. You'll also want to get a better CPU cooler for the i5 2500K for overclocking purposes. Also, the 6970 will be just fine, no need to replace it.

@Cantii: How far will that motherboard take me into the future in terms of newer processors? I won't be looking to upgrade as soon as intel releases new chips, but I just want to be sure that it's upgradable and that I don't get stuck with having to buy a new motherboard.

It's socket LGA 1155, so it'll take you all the way through Ivy Bridge CPUs, but not Sandy Bridge-E, as that's an entirely different socket and chipset that's not even released yet.

All we know is the 1155 socket will support the upcoming ivy bridge, we dont know of it supporting any other processors in the future

15+ Year Old Account
    The next generation Intel CPUs would be the Ivybridge. Schedueled to release First quarter of 2012.

And there are some rumors that the CPU will run on LGA1155, but that the current Mobos will not be able to run it. (This got me kinda confused, and it may have been BS)

But for Mobo, i would go with either the newest Z68 boards, or the P67 boards. The Z68 has more features, but they are not a ''MUST HAVE''. And dont worry about finding a Mobo that can fit DDR3 ram, your GPU and your 2 hard drives. Every mobo in the LGA1155 series can handle all that.

And as for GPU. When you got a 6970, that would be the last thing bottlenecking you when you play WOW. And as for other games, it performs just as good as the GTX570. In some games it is ahead, and in other games it is behind. I would not bother swaping it.
    Last edited by kailtas; 2011-07-14 at 05:25 PM.
    Your greed, your foolishness has brought you to this end.

- Prince Malchezaar

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    Quote Originally Posted by georgevonfranken View Post
    All we know is the 1155 socket will support the upcoming ivy bridge, we dont know of it supporting any other processors in the future
    Knowing intel, it won't.
    red panda red panda red panda!

10+ Year Old Account
    A 6970 is a very nice GPU as far as performance. I'd suggest though that you try for an Asus DirectCU II or Twin Frozr model of the 6970 as they can typically run hot and loud with the standard heatsink. The i5 2500K is an ideal gaming processor and should allow you to even crank up the clock speed quite significantly if you feel the need for it. I absolutely love my 2600K + 6970

Quote Originally Posted by Asera View Post
    Knowing intel, it won't.
    It will. Intel released a statement about it after the Sandybridge defect. The next 1155 chipsets will be Z77/P75/H75(if I recall) and all current Intel 6 Series chipsets will also support Ivybridge. Intel's socket scheme is 1 every 2-3 years and a division between Mainstream and Enthusiast platforms. Ivybridge will release on LGA 1155 first, then LGA 2011 some months later.

http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/21765-ivy-bridge-22nm-works-with-h67-and-p67
    http://www.fudzilla.com/motherboard/...bridge-chipset

Assuming since Z68 wasn't out yet, that it'll receive the same treatment.
    Last edited by Saithes; 2011-07-14 at 05:27 PM.
    Intel Core i7 5820K @ 4.2GHz | Asus X99 Deluxe Motherboard | 16GB Crucial DDR4 2133 | MSI GTX 980 4G GAMING | Corsair HX750 Gold | 500GB Samsung 840 EVO

Deleted
    The next generation Intel CPUs would be the Ivybridge. Schedueled to release First quarter of 2012.
    IB is to be released may/june next year
    SB-E should be januari next year

Both have been delayed

Quote Originally Posted by Asera View Post
    Knowing intel, it won't.
    It could happen, probably wont

@Saithes: What would be the difference between a 2500k and a 2600k for WoW? (I'm also looking to possibly do some FRAPS recording, so Idk if this will have any influence on anything.) I'm more worried about fixing my fps issue..

Here are two wonderful frames from my raid last night (to give you guys an idea of my pain) -.-
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/121/wowscrnshot071311225020.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/594/wowscrnshot071311225119.jpg/

Quote Originally Posted by Zaios View Post
    All right, so after having a complete f^%#& nightmare with this AMD Phenom 1090t, I'm going to listen to the people saying that WoW runs terribly with AMD processors and go with an intel.
    A CPU is a CPU.

PEBKAC
    World's 118th best Feral Cat.

@Ruan: I disagree after asking numerous people who have intel CPUs and after looking at charts online showing performance differences with WoW on intel CPUs vs. AMD.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruan View Post
    A CPU is a CPU.

PEBKAC
    So a Pentium 4 @ 1.6GHz performs like a Core i5 2500K by that logic?
    Intel Core i7 5820K @ 4.2GHz | Asus X99 Deluxe Motherboard | 16GB Crucial DDR4 2133 | MSI GTX 980 4G GAMING | Corsair HX750 Gold | 500GB Samsung 840 EVO

10+ Year Old Account
    As for the general AMD vs. Intel for WoW.. Intel has been ahead of AMD in performance per core for a while now. AMD had to go hex-core to compete with Intel's quad-cores in total power. The problem with this for gaming is that most games are core-limited, most can't use more than 2 or 3. This is why performance for core is so crucial, and why Intel is by far the best choice for gamers (for now).

@Saithes: What would be the difference between a 2500k and a 2600k for WoW? (I'm also looking to possibly do some FRAPS recording, so Idk if this will have any influence on anything.) I'm more worried about fixing my fps issue..

Hyperthreading on the 2600k will limit your overclock. You could turn HT off, but then you're left with a 2500k anyway.

The 6970 is a fricken beast that WoW can't touch (since its more CPU heavy). You could drop down to a 6950 or GTX570 without seeing your fps budge.
    I would also second whoever suggested the Twin Frozr or Direct CU II models. They'll run quiet and cool. Get a Twin Frozr if you plan on going Xfire/SLI, since the CU II cards take 3 slots.

And as for FRAPSing, I think most people suggest getting 2x Caviar Black or Spinpoint F3 in RAID0, which helps immensely. If you're getting an i5, your HDDs will be the thing holding you back.
    Last edited by Skelly; 2011-07-14 at 05:40 PM.
    i7 930 @ 4.0Ghz | Sapphire HD5970 w/ Accelero Xtreme | ASUS P6X58D Premium | 32GB Kingston DDR3-1600
    Xonar Essence STX | 128GB Vertex 4 | AX750 | Xigmatek Elysium
    Laing D5 | XSPC RX 360mm | Koolance RP-452X2 | EK-Supreme HF
    Dell 3007WFP-HC | Samsung BX2350 | Das Keyboard Model S Ultimate | Razer Naga Molten | Sennheiser HD650

10+ Year Old Account
    Stick with the 2500K as Hyperthreading gives no benefit in World Of Warcraft.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruan View Post
    A CPU is a CPU.

PEBKAC
    Processor Architecture called, they'd like to talk with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Skelly View Post
    The 6970 is a fricken beast that WoW can't touch (since its more CPU heavy). You could drop down to a 6950 or GTX570 without seeing your fps budge.
    I would also second whoever suggested the Twin Frozr or Direct CU II models. They'll run quiet and cool. Get a Twin Frozr if you plan on going Xfire/SLI, since the CU II cards take 3 slots.
    A 6850 can run WoW fine, it isn't a graphically-intense game by any means
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

@Skelly: All right, thanks for all of that! =) Just one question: Twin Frozr is for SLI and the Direct CU II models aren't? I don't plan on ever running two video cards, so I'm not worried about that. If you wouldn't mind linking me one of those boards that you think is good for the job, I'd be very thankful! =)

---------- Post added 2011-07-14 at 05:49 PM ----------

Oh I just realized that was a noob question after googling some stuff about Direct CU II.. it's a gpu.. not a motherboard /facepalm

Was wondering if you ever got your processor problems fixed. Sorry to see you didn't get them resolved, but the i5-2500k is a wonderful processor for WoW and you'll enjoy its powers greatly!

@Bendder: I've had so many problems in the past 1-2 weeks. Which one? I mean, WoW is still painfully underfperforming (refer to my two screen shots in this post). However, the computer is no longer shutting down. The 3.7 ghz OC was causing that. However, I've also got a new issue; the ram I bought that is supposed to be a 1600 is only running at 1333 mhz, and when I change it to 1600 in the BIOS, my computer crashes...

I have no luck with this stuff. QQ