Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    i refuse to do archaeology any more until they sort out a way to get around quicker or to refine your digs to specific races, i levelled it on my paladin before i switched to my mage and levelled it again, managed to get the caster ring which i was happy about, but fuck all else.

it's a horrible horrible grindy unrewarding profession that takes hours upon hours to get anywhere decent with. it's too much of a time sink imo and the rewards just aren't worth the effort.

once it's been fine tuned and it's not so much of a horrendous chore, i might pick it back up again

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by smokii View Post
    i refuse to do archaeology any more until they sort out a way to get around quicker or to refine your digs to specific races, i levelled it on my paladin before i switched to my mage and levelled it again, managed to get the caster ring which i was happy about, but fuck all else.

it's a horrible horrible grindy unrewarding profession that takes hours upon hours to get anywhere decent with. it's too much of a time sink imo and the rewards just aren't worth the effort.

once it's been fine tuned and it's not so much of a horrendous chore, i might pick it back up again
    That's (for me) most annoying thing at this profession.
    I'm working on Tol'vir. ONLY Tol'vir
    I got all rares from Nightelf / Fossil etc. but I'm still getting TONS of these digsites.

Deleted
    Both 525 on my main MAGE and on one of my alts DK.
    Did about over 40 Mage and 100 DK of dwarf fragments (stacked the fragmenets before the cap) and never saw the staff.

525 and still at it.
    Just 4 rares short I think currently.
    Dwarven Staff, Fossil Shield, Tol'Vir Sword and Tol'vir Staff yet to make an appearance.

I can only stand to do archaeology on one character, and cannot even SEE the point in having it on more than one, unless you make a dwarf specifically for archaeology, and want the achievements on your main. The ZG boss is not worth the hassle of this profession.

I have 21 rares now. Mostly useless ones, of course. Still waiting for Zin'rokh. Pretty sure it does not exist (sarcasm, obvi). I have EVERY night elf rare (that is seven) and only two rares from Tol'vir, what's up with that? I hate you too, RNG boss. I just want the Tol'vir pet and mount. And that illustrious Zin'rokh. Though the dwarf staff would be nice, as well. Knowing my luck I will get the fossil shield looong before Zin'rokh pops up. And I'll cry due to both my paladin and warrior having the blacksmithing shield and refusing to use the fossil one because it looks like it's from Wailing Caverns. I will not use you crappy looking shield!

Overall, archaeology is just a huge time waster for minimal reward. Will I continue to do it? Of course. Will I like doing it? Hell no.

(By the way, just counted. I have completed 115 troll items. No Zin'rokh. Less than 1%, indeed.)

A blue post did state there could be some improvement at a later point in how we travel between digsites which would be a very welcome addition.
    Though as to what that would be, and if it ever makes an appearance is another matter.

Offtopic: A macro featured in another thread will print to your chat the number of completed artifacts for every race.
    It may however depress you even more.

Code:
    /run print("Total artifacts"); for x=1,9 do local c=GetNumArtifactsByRace(x); local a =0; for y=1,c do local t = select(9, GetArtifactInfoByRace(x, y)); a=a+t;end local rn = GetArchaeologyRaceInfo(x); if( c > 1 ) then print(rn .. ": " .. a); end end
    Last edited by ComputerNerd; 2011-07-15 at 12:51 PM.

Deleted
    Call me crazy but I actually enjoy Archaeology! Once I get in the flow of it, I could waste entire days just going from place to place.
    I think it is the random factor of ive solved this....what's next....what could it be......ooooh....ANOTHER COMMON! /cry.
    Im after Zin'Rokh and the Dwarven staff and have completed christ knows how many digs, its the ooh well it could be the next one that keep's me going.

still going, and levelled it on most of my alts. not only is it a great way to level (hit 60, get flying mount, level archaeology and avoid having to do much in the now rather boring Outland) but it's also relaxing and the exploration aspect is rather interesting. not to mention some of the rewards are fun, the vendor trash and AH'ing keystones also makes for a nice income
    I'd be happier if I didn't keep getting so many night elf (got everything) and troll (everything but the epic sword I have no use for) sites and the same crappy grey items from Tol'Vir (I want the mount and pet) but still...
    it's also easy to do while only half playing, so I can switch between archaeology and forums, jobsites, news sites, etc which I couldn't do so safely while, for example, doing dailies or dungeons (not to mention that I was bored of the 5mans months ago)

Deleted
    Leveled it to 525, got pissed how ridiculously good the doll is compared to even heroic t11 trinkets and ragequit farming for it after 2 weeks.

I stopped a few months ago at ~350 tol'vir solves without finding the blue qiraji mount... I'm not touching the profession again until it gets changed/patched somehow.

Im Professor Certin.

dont think ill do more though

I'm 525, been doing it since Jan or so and I still enjoy it. I don't do it super hardcore, just when I'm chillin or waiting for raid to fill or time to pass or something. I think it's fun and interesting, but then again, I don't do it for 1 specific item like many people and then get irate when it doesn't ever pop up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragelicious View Post
    Mute yourself. You happen to be dumb atm.

10+ Year Old Account
    I do it while watching TV on my laptop in my comfyass bed. I have two 525 archies, and a 375. Going to bring the 375 to 525 and prolly going to level another to 525.

All of this for the Vrykul Bearded Axe for leveling alts.

It's incredibly boring/frustrating at times. Which is why I watch TV while doing it. :3
    "The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" - George Carlin

I leveled to 525 after about the first month of cata. I got all the achievements then I got:

Trinket
    Caster Ring
    Zin'rok (Sitting on an alt, ugh)
    Scarab Mount
    Grey Riding Camel (Thanks to Archeology - I get 25 whispers a day asking "Where did you The Camel-Hoarder?!?")

It wasn't too bad, was a HUGE timesink though (But really what isnt in this game?!?). I did it in between que times and after raids...I do need to go back and get the Crawling Claw, New Fossil Pet and some other pet...meh, someday

Worse than fishing. Nuff said

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rurumiki View Post
    I do it while watching TV on my laptop in my comfyass bed. I have two 525 archies, and a 375. Going to bring the 375 to 525 and prolly going to level another to 525.

All of this for the Vrykul Bearded Axe for leveling alts.

It's incredibly boring/frustrating at times. Which is why I watch TV while doing it. :3
    Heh, I play wow in maximised windows mode. Whenever I am bored out of my mind, I start a movie, make the windows smallish (1/4 screen or so) and "always on top" and watch my movie on top of wow while I fly around doing archy. Watched all harry potter movies like that last week, too bored to focus on movie only, too bored to do archy only, doing them together worked fine lol

Field Marshal
    15+ Year Old Account
    525, prof title and stopped befor i ripped out my eye's...

Learnt three things, I hate big dig zones, I hate Fossil dig sites, and blizzard should learn to use a compass.

If i see another conflicting direction thingy, i think ill die...

Why oh why, does the artifact your looking for, cross directly over the path of 2 others that are by far close to your posistion, but that damb search light cant see the closer ones untill ive dug up the far one?

Also, the rare items you get, for lower lvl's are near useless as they cant be use till LVL x, and 2 or 3 lvls after lvl X they are replaced with better quest gear, ect?
    Not to mention that the once cool end game items you spent so much time getting, are now well less than end game quality after the firelands patch.

Imo, this effectivly makes Archy a vanity profession and not a true profession.
    Im a Priest that can tank Illidan. For ~~~ 6seconds & then, i go splat. <3 Dispersion.

I have both the Ring of the Boy Emperor and that Clockwork Gnome up as active projects. I'm only a few digs away from completing either of them. But unless I'm lagging too bad to do anything else, drunk, or so sick that I'm delirious with medication, I can't seem to make myself dig. :/

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    ive gotten to 525 3 times...

15+ Year Old Account
    Im still going, 525 on 2 toons. Leveled it twice cause my pally was alchy and I wanted the vial recipe. My main is a rogue and Im still going for Professor, getting close now but if the bug mount ever showed up I would probably just quit then. Thats the only thing I really want from it.
    Was hit with a nerf bat!