Deleted

Strange problem, what was wrong?

Hi

I turned on my computer today and after logging in (which was slower than usual) I noticed that it was taking a very long time for Google Chrome to start, I tried to start Skype aswell but nothing seemed to happen. I checked the Windows Task Manager and noticed that I had Google Chrome and Skype open but they were only using 104K memory. This happened with everything I tried to start. I tried to remove and then start them again but nothing happened. The programs I have set to start when Windows turns on worked fine. I restarted my computer and got stuck at "Logging off.." for 10 min until I manually turned it off.

It's working now but I really want to know what this could have been. I'm running a full system scan incase I've managed to get some kind of virus. Another thing that might have been related was that Catalyst Control Center showed up on the task bar and then disappeared when I clicked on it (This might be perfectly normal but it's never happened to me before and I'm kind of paranoid).

General information about my computer:

Operating System - Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
    BIOS - Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
    Processor - AMD Phenom 9550 Quad-Core Processor ~2.2GHz
    Memory - 4096MB RAM
    GPU - ATI Radeon HD 3650

Thanks in advance,
    Redoxe

Edit: No virus found. I might just be overreacting
    Edit #2: It happened again when I was installing Autodesk Maya. I tried to restart explorer.exe but that made me unable to open anything (error said something about being unable to find or access the files) and when I tried to restart my computer I got stuck on "Logging off..." agan
    Last edited by mmocf3e8550591; 2011-07-21 at 01:33 AM.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Sounds like a Windows explorer issue. If you want to be 100% sure that it wasn't a hardware issue you can test your memory with MemTest 86+ and scan the hard drive for errors with HDDScan. If you want to double check system files for errors go Start>Accessories>CMD Prompt (As Admin)> then type sfc /scannow (There is a space between sfc and /scannow.

Deleted
    Just got a BSOD while only having Google Chrome on. I didn't have time to write down what the error was but I think I saw something about memory dump (?) at the bottom of the screen with a % of the progress either going up or down. I know that the most important part is the number code but if it helps I think it said API-xxxxxx-xxx at the top (or APC)

After the reboot everything was fine (I've had BSODs before and they required me to system restore and the computer would be awfully slow).

I'm sorry for not providing a lot of information but if I get it again I'll make sure that it's not set to auto restart so that I can actually read it. Can this have something to do with the random explorer.exe crashes?