Question How to Frost? Improvement tips

Hey! Just copied the other guy title, really liked his idea.

Sooo, I just got my 2 Cleavers and started to play around with the DW Frost. So far what I have checked in logs is that the people who hit really hard got their FS and Obli almost the in the same %, usually around 20%. Somehow I cant do that.

Is that any chance you guys could check my logs and char and give me some assistance?
    I reforged using wowreforge and Mr Robot, and both came up with the same results. I guess I should get some more haste!

Combat vs Baleroc: http://worldoflogs.com/reports/y81ai...?s=5972&e=6305 (My DPS was a little bit higher but both tanks died, so I was the next in threat).

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...owpal/advanced

PS: Should I ever use Pestilence for AoE? I have read that HB is more than enough and cause more damage.
    PS: If I need do renew my Plague, should I priorize Outbreak or PS?

Any advice will be very welcome!!! Thanks alot!!!!

The first thing I noticed is that your Blood Plague uptime needs drastically more uptime. Your uptime was something like 31% per the log you linked, which is why your oblit hits for nothing near where it should. Start out with Outbreak and refresh another 2 times with Plague Strike within 1 minute intervals (using your current spec which doesn't go for virulence). Just rinse and repeat. Make sure you have a way to monitor your diseases. Maybe make a power aura that screams at you when Blood Plague is not on your current target.

It also looks like you're not getting the most out of your KM procs, since your FS crits are at about 49% and Oblit is at 35%. That big of a difference suggests that you need to be mindful of using KM procs more carefully. Yes you could use a bit more haste, but the Imp BT spec you are using should help out with filling up those dead globals.

Hope that was helpful and good luck.

Pretty nice advice!!! Now I understand why Obli is not as high as FS. Thanks alot man!

Hope more people comes by, but your explanation already told me alot!!!

No prob. If you're really having a tough time keeping BP up, you may want to try a 4/31/6 spec where you go full epidemic or even 5/31/5 if you want to be more conservative and have your BP last 29 secs each. In either scenario you will be using outbreak on CD and Plague strike 30 secs after. Try respeccing one of your frost specs and rotating b/w the 2 styles. You may have more downtime because you have fewer blood taps, but your disease management becomes a lot easier.

Herald of the Titans Avatar Killer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    its also easy to press the Plague Strike key prior to blood plague falling off too. this helps keep your disease time up for DoT damage as well as fueling obliterate strikes.

i use a disease timer that shows me the remaining time of my diseases right above my head and goes from white to bright flashing red when its on its last 3 seconds. helps me to not accidentally press oblit instead of PS 99% of the time.
    Gearscore is like a bikini. It shows you what you already know and doesn't show what REALLY matters.
    New Expansion preview HERE

Just made a huge pulsing BP icon on my screen using Powa. This should work now. Funny that I never notice that BP was so important to my Obli. Always keep reading and rereading all skills, but forgot to check Obli info!

I should get a better DPS now and I will try the epidemic build as well.

Thanks once more!!!

Got two questions about Power auras that I could not find:
    1. How do set up an icon to show that I am now in melee range? Sometimes in fights like Maloriak or Alysrazor, you really need to be "inside" the target in order be in range.
    2. Is there anyway that my BP icon shows up when the disease is about 5s to expire?

Deleted
    as people are saying, having a disease not up means obliterate hit (can't remember exact number here in a rush) 12.5% more if im correct?

you plauge striked 3 times in a 5min 30 fight, i can't see outbreak, but i imagine you haven't used it lookin at uptime, i personally use outbreak to reapply BP if it isn't on the target, as it means i have another rune to obliterate with.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by olivete View Post
    Just made a huge pulsing BP icon on my screen using Powa. This should work now. Funny that I never notice that BP was so important to my Obli. Always keep reading and rereading all skills, but forgot to check Obli info!

Thanks once more!!!

1. How do set up an icon to show that I am now in melee range? Sometimes in fights like Maloriak or Alysrazor, you really need to be "inside" the target in order be in range.
    2. Is there anyway that my BP icon shows up when the disease is about 5s to expire?
    Oblit adds 12.5% of its damage per disease... that's quite a bit considering it hits for 35k+ damage

i dont use power auras as my addon so i cant help there but there are guides online that can help you with that info. Google it. im sure someone has a thread on that.
    Gearscore is like a bikini. It shows you what you already know and doesn't show what REALLY matters.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm glad my thread idea caught on

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-Signature by Winter Blossom-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Thanks once more!!!

1. Not sure about the melee range icon for powa but there are addons that can helps you with that like RangeX.
    2. Yes I believe you can. At work right now so i can't test it but play with the timers tab when you're adjusting your aura for BP. It's half way down the window on the right, perhaps the fourth tab.

Probably someone already mentioned it but don't open with death and decay.

10+ Year Old Account
    PS: Should I ever use Pestilence for AoE? I have read that HB is more than enough and cause more damage.
    PS: If I need do renew my Plague, should I priorize Outbreak or PS?
    Also for this one here is a simple answer to those

1: no. HB does more damage over the time frame than Pest will ever do. Heres why. HB applies a 100% FF to all affected targets but Pest delivers half damage and costs the same rune. the total damage delivered from BP will be less than if you had spent that rune on HB instead 100% of the time.

2: "almost" always prioritize outbreak. if the target is going to die in seconds then dont even do that. but if you switch targets first then use OB on the new target and PS the first one before you leave.
    Single targets yes always use OB before PS.

as for AOE yeah dont use D&D to start as you will quickly die. ALMOST no tanks can hold threat against it to begin with plus the HB spams will 99.99999% of the time guarantee you pull at least 1 target that you definitely don't want on you with the possibility of the rest of the pack too.
    Last edited by Avatar Killer; 2011-07-15 at 06:33 PM.

Don't use mindlessly KM procs for three reasons:
    1. Obliterate crits do double~ the damage of frost strike.
    2. If you wait around 2 seconds you'll get more RP which help you cap it for FS dump.
    3. Rune cycle, if you use Obliterate after waiting you'll get two runes on CD for the cycle as well as extra Obliterate

Quote Originally Posted by Aerieadk View Post
    I'm glad my thread idea caught on
    Yeahhhhh, nice idea, awesome results!!!

Quote Originally Posted by burbon View Post
    1. Not sure about the melee range icon for powa but there are addons that can helps you with that like RangeX.
    2. Yes I believe you can. At work right now so i can't test it but play with the timers tab when you're adjusting your aura for BP. It's half way down the window on the right, perhaps the fourth tab.
    Gonna try the RangeX, thanks!
    About the setting, just got it, thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by whoranzone View Post
    Probably someone already mentioned it but don't open with death and decay.
    Just did that yesterday lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Avatar Killer View Post
    Also for this one here is a simple answer to those

1: no. HB does more damage over the time frame than Pest will ever do. Heres why. HB applies a 100% FF to all affected targets but Pest delivers half damage and costs the same rune. the total damage delivered from BP will be less than if you had spent that rune on HB instead 100% of the time.

2: "almost" always prioritize outbreak. if the target is going to die in seconds then dont even do that. but if you switch targets first then use OB on the new target and PS the first one before you leave.
    Single targets yes always use OB before PS.

as for AOE yeah dont use D&D to start as you will quickly die. ALMOST no tanks can hold threat against it to begin with plus the HB spams will 99.99999% of the time guarantee you pull at least 1 target that you definitely don't want on you with the possibility of the rest of the pack too.
    Understood! Thanks for that info man!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JackTheLad View Post
    Don't use mindlessly KM procs for three reasons:
    1. Obliterate crits do double~ the damage of frost strike.
    2. If you wait around 2 seconds you'll get more RP which help you cap it for FS dump.
    3. Rune cycle, if you use Obliterate after waiting you'll get two runes on CD for the cycle as well as extra Obliterate
    Niceeee information! Never realize the 3. Cool!!!

Man, this topic is perfect! I got alot of information that I was kindda lost.
    Thanks alot ppl!!!