Thread: fire mage pvp

fire mage pvp

i dont see them much in bgs, do they suck ? Probably because its such a heavy rng spec ?
    Last edited by jimmy valmer; 2011-07-15 at 04:47 PM.

Nah
    I've seen them.

I doubt its the RNG factor
    I think its rather becaus people dont feel like playing it

I have a friend of mine who plays fire in pvp, Its quite enjoyable to watch him tbh
    Its something else than the frost mage 70k dmg in one shatter

Dont know how it would work in arenas tho.
    In 2s it could be alright if playing with a frost mage.

In 3s im not sure tho
    Maybe with a affliction lock for dot protection.

/shrug
    Gaze upon the field in which I grow my fucks, and see that it is barren

10+ Year Old Account
    They are a bit more complicated to play, but they certainly do not suck. A proper combustion is amazingly destructive.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's several reasons.

1) Lack of dispel protection unless playing with a Warlock
    2) Frost Mages are stupidly overpowered (compared to Fire Mages) which means the vast majority will play Frost instead. Similar to how last season everyone went Frost on their DKs instead of Unholy as it was just far more powerful. Not many set out to gimp themselves by design
    3) The playstyle (from what I hear) is rather different from Frost Mages. Frost has been the traditional PvP spec for ages now, meaning most people will just continue with the best spec out of habit as well as perceived balance.

I do it all the time, it beats frost in my eyes but the problem is fire mages drop like a sack of shit so it does take some getting used to, fire isn't all that hard so in s9 gear I could easily top bg's I played in sometimes by even 1 million dmg and if lucky you won't die, but it depends, frost is piss boring to play in bg's so try fire out it's much better.

I can't see it working in arena though, even as frost I was getting blown away pretty quick with 3700 res so fire would be alot worse, I keep frost for arena and fire for pve/bg.

Quote Originally Posted by Deklol View Post
    Its something else than the frost mage 70k dmg in one shatter
    70K? That's hard even on somebody with 0 resil bud. Frost is powerful atm, but not stupidly broken like that.

People don't play fire because of its survivability and also how gearing with PVP works with it. Fire needs a good amount of crit to have things such as pyro procs. In PVP gear, a mage is going to have substantally less crit, lowering their DPS a lot. It works in BG's if you can go without many people on you like arcane, but in arena it will never be viable, unless you can get crazy lucky in 5s.
    "The best way to predict the future is to invent it." - Alan Kay
    "..We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity.." - H.P. Lovecraft.
    Awesome Rave Blog ------> http://www.fuckyeahhumans.blogspot.com/ <------ Awesome Rave Blog
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...leigh/advanced

Quote Originally Posted by Rayleigh View Post
    70K? That's hard even on somebody with 0 resil bud. Frost is powerful atm, but not stupidly broken like that.

People don't play fire because of its survivability and also how gearing with PVP works with it. Fire needs a good amount of crit to have things such as pyro procs. In PVP gear, a mage is going to have substantally less crit, lowering their DPS a lot. It works in BG's if you can go without many people on you like arcane, but in arena it will never be viable, unless you can get crazy lucky in 5s.
    LOL. this reasoning is just ... wow. it's obvious you've never played a fire mage before. My mage is fire -- and is my main. All i do is pvp. I would never go back to frost -- fire is just SO much fun.

To the gear -- if you spec shatter, you can get a guaranteed hot streak if you scorch -> fire blast on a frozen target. Once you have the hot streak, just use your other freeze for a pyro crit. Crit isn't that hard to obtain on PVP gear -- i have 32% crit (counting in talents [i also use glyphed motel armor]) and have 37% crit on my fireball. If you're playing with a rogue, those numbers go up 5% and you will absolutely own.

As for all you people complaining about the survivability -- what are you talking about? I last longer as fire than i would frost. cauterize alone gives 40% more HP which can be negated through iceblock OR mageward/mana shield. a moving scorch coupled with blink, impact, cone of cold, frost nova, blast wave, and dragon's breath means that melee should not be able to touch you. you are ALWAYS on the move. As for pvp against a caster, CS and dragon's breath should be decent enough to pull ahead in DPS. Fire is MUCH better at kiting than frost -- that is if you know where and when to place everything. will all that AoE roots/slows/CCs you should be able to handle rather large groups at once, all at the same time you're scorching > living bomb > impacting to spread dots.

Fire is one of THE most mobile specs out there. Blazing speed + molten shields add to the already awesome mobility.

Go fire. you will be supremely rewarded if you master it. I know i am.

The only downside that i agree with is lack of dispel protection, but i only have to worry about that in arena really.
    Last edited by shootothrill0; 2011-07-15 at 08:54 PM.

Pretty sure it's also because fire is harder to play than frost? That's also a possible detterent.

I play fire. Actually better then I play frost. Its that the playstyles are soooo different. With fire its much more fun in my opinion because not only do you get to watch your target literally explode with numbers (and anyone standing near them) but your also constantly moving and dazing people while it happens.

Deleted
    You can look on this page for firemages presence in pvp, and in ratedbg in particular. You'll see that they are really not present

Imma tell u a secret..... I play fire mage. afflic. Holy pala.... believe me u can counter every cleave u meet...... Dragonsbreath doesnt brake on dots, u spreak dots on everyone 1 cc or even blanket cc with Combus + demon soul = win..... u cant heal 100K dmg on 1 guy while everyone is takin dmg with the stuns and silences..
    2300 rating first time we played the setup with 25-3 win loss....

Deleted
    I play fire in BGs and world PvP and doing just fine. They need to cast and thanks to Blizzards "bring the player"=every class should have the same roles(which started back in WOTLK when more and more classes suddenly got similar roles), sadly, the specs required to cast to do burst aint viable in arena.

Im kinda surprised that i see more moonkins, destro warlocks and ele shamans, since atleast for me( i have all those classes) the fire mage is alot more fun to play and does a better job in damage and keeping itself alive.

Maybe fire is viable in 3v3 when you got someone to protect you from other effects, but in BGs and World PvP, i love playing a fire mage.
    Last edited by mmoc664e732ce0; 2011-07-16 at 01:17 PM.